“A welcome addition to Cobourg's dining scene” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marca on the Wharf

Marca on the Wharf
Ranked #11 of 87 Restaurants in Cobourg
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Victoria, Canada
“A welcome addition to Cobourg's dining scene”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

A July vacation in Ontario took us to Cobourg's newest restaurant, Marca. It was so good we visited four times in ten days! Recommend the grilled squid, the fried squid, caprese salad, the excellent paninis, the Calabrese and Verdura pizzas. Also try the daily soup. We were introduced to Garlic Scape soup which was so good I bought scapes when we returned home and tried to duplicate. Service excellent.
Downsides, the noise level is magnified with the hard surfaces of floor, tables, etc. Even a dropped fork sounded like gunshot. Need some sound softeners. Also, did not appreciate the automatic 20% tip on the machine, let us choose our own amount please. Could have lovely patio if the town fathers would give Marca the green light.

2 Thank Pamela J

Brighton, Canada
“Nice for a change”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Went here today for lunch with a few family members , it was our first time , we arrived around 1:30 pm , it wasn't to busy , the server got a table ready for us beside the windows that face towards the harbour ( or should I say the corner on the harbour) the view is nothing special , it over looks a trailer park / ice cream palour to the east , south view is of the corner of the harbour and a parking lot , like I said ... View is nothing special.

The food was good , 3 of us had Panini's , my wife and sister had the parmigian (sp) and I had the meat ball , my sister and wife said it was a very good sandwich , the bun was fantastic ... Mine ... Kinda blah to be honest , the meat balls were not very tasty , they were very moist , but like I said , they were missing something ... Flavor I guess . The menu is printed on the place mat ... Not a bad thing really , but the place seems a little upscale from the typical restaurant and this seemed a little cheap.

Service was good for the most part , I think they should give you a glass of water when you sit down , most restaurants similar to this one do. There was 2 servers and one younger female working , not exactly sure what she was suppose to be doing , she just stood by the servers station , she did clear a few dirty plates off tables , but other than that I'm not sure what she was suppose to be doing.

The restaurant is very noisy , mostly because the kitchen is part of the dining area , I could hardly hear my sister and wife talking at times because of the noise of dishes being put away , to me this was very annoying and unpleasant.

All in all would I go back ... Probably , but not before weighing all my options first , it has potential , not what I thought it would be unfortunately.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gelaas
Brighton, Canada
“Great Italian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Food and service fantastic. I had the carbonara and the wife had the lobster ravioli. The only reason we didn't give it a 5 was the Credit card machine added a 20% tip on top of the final total. you could change the % but could not put in a $ amount. The was downer to very enjoyable evening.

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
“Very Good Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Ate at Marca on the Warf with my wife and kids yesterday. Lack of signage made it hard to find the place. The food was very good. We had bruschetta as a starter and it was excellent. My wife had the veal and she really enjoyed it. I had the fettuccini and it too was very good. Desert was also done well. We had the tiramisu. The view is less than what I expected. The restaurant has lots of big windows, but the overlook a trailer park and only a small part of the harbour. The service was really good. The owner pays attention to details and is both warm and genuine. He personally shook my hand as we left and thanked us for coming. We will definitely return.

Port Hope, Canada
“Missing the Little Things”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was our first experience at Marca and it was in celebration of our 31st anniversary.

When we arrived we found the restaurant filled to capacity (has no bearing on this review) which was nice to see, however, as one other reviewer has noted, this made for a terrible atmosphere if you just wanted to have an intimate dinner date and conversation. The noise level is extremely high and the fact the kitchen is part of the dinning area only adds to the noise.

There are a couple of givens (IMHO) with an Italian restaurant, one is bread should be at every table when a patron sits down or at the very least it should be offered. Also, there should be water at each table. We had neither. Also, the menu is on the paper place setting, not a deal breaker by any means, but it is incomplete as there are desserts available, just not on the menu.

Our waitress was attentive, however, she neglected to charge us for over $30 in beverages (I had her amend the bill) and in her defence she said it was busy.

As for the food, we had the Arancini and prosciutto with melon for an appetizer. Both were very good and came shortly after we ordered them. As for our entrees, I had the gnocchi and my wife had the lemon chicken. The portions were more than adequate for each of us and it was served promptly and piping hot.

For dessert (we only knew there was dessert because a table beside us asked if they had dessert) we shared the Tiramisu over a couple of specialty coffees. Again, here is a little thing, one would expect a typical specialty coffee to usually come in a clear glass rimmed with sugar, topped with a dollop of whipped cream and either cinnamon or chocolate shavings depending on the coffee. Ours were served in a regular coffee mug, nothing special about that at all.

Would we return to Marca, not in the very near future. The food was very good, however, it was the little things and the noise that would need to be improved upon before we would.

• 3 of 5 bubbles