“Starlight restaurant”
Review of Starlight Restaurant - CLOSED

Starlight Restaurant
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Decent food but the too small portions make it a not so good value. Nice art work on the walls.............................

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Took a day trip to beautiful Cobourg with my extended family over Labour Day weekend. Saw Starlight on the main strip and it appeared to be a nice little restaurant.

The service was welcoming and servers were quick to make arrangements for our party of 8. Some of us ordered wraps / soup, some ordered pasta and I ordered a 'Town of Cobourg' breakfast special.

For the wrap, you have a choice of white, whole wheat, tomato and pesto. They finished product looked very tight and by all acccount was delicious. The accompanied salad was fresh and with just the right amount of dressing. My wife ordered the roasted red peppe soup instead of salad and it was a mistake. While the cololur and the aroma was very attractive, the taste was not great. It was very sour and full of the the 'roasted / burnt' taste.

For the Linguini in tomato cream sauce, looked very good. Portion was perfect for lunch and the pasta was al dente. However, the sauce has an overwhelming rosemary taste with very little other flavour.

My breakfast was a huge disappointment. I ordered sunny side up but both yolks were 'poked' with running all over the plate. The potato hash appeared to be mixed with day-old bread as some pieces were extremely hard. Two meats came with the dish - black forest ham (very nice) and bacon. I was specifically asked by the server how I liked my bacon, crispy or regular. Naturally, I said crispy. Well, it was not crispy as the meat part was over done (too hard) and the fatty part was still chewy. The french toast was very fluffy and with lots of icing sugar on top. The pancake, however, was another disaster with icing sugar covering up burnt taste. I was asked specifically what bread I wanted but unfortunately it never came.

With these many problems with my breakfast plate, one must wonder why I didn't raise the issue with my server. Although both servers who were on duty were extremely friendly, they had trouble handling the 70% full restaurant. I already reminded our original server a couple of forgotten items during our meal and I didn't have the heart to stop her yet again with a complaint.

Perhaps if the restaurant was not as busy or if I ordered the 'right' menu items, my experience would've been much more pleasant.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Homemade from an owner who cares, nice change from the usual restaurant scene! The menu is limited to about 5 main entrees that change regularly, but there was still enough. Voice for a group of 7. Watch the spice if you ask for it in the Morrocan dish, yummy but very, very hot!

Reviewed June 17, 2012

In mid-June 2012, we visited the Starlight Restaurant for breakfast and were quite impressed with the service, food quality, presentation, and price. Before 9 am, they serve a fair-sized breakfast consisting of two eggs, hash browns, your choice of meat, fruit, and toast, all for $5.50.
We especially liked the Black Forest ham and multigrain bread. Although they served us only one toast each, the bread was very filling. The very friendly owners offered to bring us more toast and kept our coffee cup filled to the brim.

The owners, who are former Montrealers, are fluent in English and French.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I had a very good breakfast at this establishment. The price was very good.