The Woodlawn Inn
  • Beachfront
Motel 401(Cobourg)
Lotus Motel(Cobourg)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdining roomfine diningdella casapresidential suitesmall balconyvealcomfortable bedsuperior roomsitting areaincluded breakfastphoto workshopfood was fantasticsoaker tubseparate showerrooms are extremelymaking us feelcozy atmosphere
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Enjoyed an evening in a cottage suite for a short getaway. Room was very clean and well maintained. Breakfast is made fresh to order, and service was friendly and warm. Centrally located, a short walk to downtown.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kingston007
SLRShutterbug, Manager at The Woodlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear kingston007

Thanks for staying with us and I'm glad that you had a terrific time both in your Cottage suite and in the dining room. I'll pass on your comments to the staff. They are so appreciative of our guests comments!

Regards,

Reviewed August 25, 2012

The hotel is in a beautiful building, on very nice grounds, a short walk away from Cobourg's main street and the wonderful beach.

We stayed in the presidential suite, which was nicely decorated with high ceilings and impeccably clean. The bathroom seemed to be recently renovated and had a lovely slate floor, a large stand up shower and a jetted tub that fit four of us. The bedroom was very stylishly decorated as well.

That being said, the one thing which precludes me from giving them 5 stars is the lack of a crib for people travelling with children. When I booked the reservation, although I ultimately booked through Expedia, I called and informed them we would be travelling with our children ages 2 and 8 months. Though we travel with one playard in which our youngest sleeps, it would have been nice to have a crib/playard available for our older son.

The front desk attendant who checked us in made a most generous offer to help us out, however we ultimately set up an appropriate area for our son to sleep in. When I informed the morning attendant of the lack of a crib, I got the sense that they are not available at the Woodlawn at all. Considering that many people travel with their children, and Cobourg is actually a very family friendly town, it would probably be in their best interest to try and accommodate those travelling with children.

Nevertheless, a lovely little hotel which would suit those looking for a more refined stay in Cobourg.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TorontoANTo

Hello TorontoANTo!

I'm glad that you had a great time with us recently and thanks so much for your review and your description of the Presidential Suite, and Cobourg's excellent beach! I am sorry that you were given the wrong information by expedia. I will look into what they told you. If you ever need to find out specific details about the inn please call us toll free and we'll be happy to answer all of your questions. We hope to see you soon again at The Woodlawn Inn.

Best wishes,

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We spent a lovely evening in this historic old home..a stopover on our way to Niagara Falls. As it was a holiday weekend I was thankful that they would accept just a Saturday night booking. It was a very hot humid afternoon when we rolled into Coburg...beaches and parking lots downtown were packed, so we drove around exploring the town then headed to the inn to escape the crowds. Here the high ceilings and reliable air conditioning gave us much relief from the heat in our spacious room. We had booked a Superior King and it was truly superior in every way. For once we had enough space to actually open the suitcases on the floor without tripping over them, but it really didn't matter this time as there was also an oversize walk-in closet perfectly designed for this purpose. Rooms 218 and 219 are in their own private corner of the hotel off a private sitting room so we had no noise from other guests in our corridor...just a peaceful night in a very comfortable bed.
Breakfast was adequate, but some items were in short supply. After the luxurious accommodations we had been enjoying I found this meal a little simple and underwhelming, compared to other inns where we have stayed. However, because of the on-line deal we had taken advantage of, this accommodation was good value for the money on a very busy holiday weekend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Janet B

Dear Janet B

Thank you for your detailed review of the The Woodlawn Inn. We are glad that you enjoyed your time here in Cobourg and at the inn. I will talk with the kitchen staff and inquire about the breakfast! We would love to have you back with us the next time you are in Cobourg!

Best wishes,

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Cobourg is a great spot for those looking for either a stopover or for a short getaway from the GTA or Kingston areas. It's right off the 401 and has maintained it's quaint, charming locale well. The Inn is a beautiful old home and was filled with knowledgeable and respectful staff which you would expect from one of Ontario's Finest Inns. We loved the size of our room, it's high ceilings and the fact that the suite maintained so much of it's classic charm. Both the dinner and the breakfast were extremely tasty and made fresh to order. I am looking forward to returning here next year!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike S

Hello Mike S

Thanks for your review of The Woodlawn Inn. We are so lucky to have great guests like you visit us year round and all of the staff truly appreciate all of the feedback they get. We are looking forward to your return visit next year.

Cheers,

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is an almost perfect place to stay just off the horriblle 401 when you just can't stand the idea of carrying on in either direction. If it had a little more grounds to offer a sit and a read, it would be ideal.

The dining room, though not what it was five years ago the last time we stayed here, is still sophisticated and ambitious enough to please, a Dover sole boned at the table an old fashioned treat but alas the other person's veal temperature paid the price.

A well informed sommelier seemed slightly defensive at a question about the relative shortage of of Prince Edward county wines, none by the glass, and his explanation of being equi-distanced from Niagara and "the county" didn't ring quite true but there is no denying his knowledge of wine especially Italian.

Breakfast is the biggest disappointment: I don't mind getting my own juice and coffee or even making my own toast (i am lying here) but when was the last time you were served two slices of bacon with two eggs? That's even one less than my father allowed us as children, more than three, he had decided, we were being pigs. Right as he mightbhave been, He didn't seem to see the irony.

Room Tip: 218 and 219 are off their own living room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grahamcares

Dear grahamcares

Thanks for your return visit to The Woodlawn Inn. I'm glad that you found the location of the inn suitable for a Toronto to Montreal trip. Since you last visited us, we now offer a few more Prince Edward County wines by the glass, so that guests can check out the excellent local wine scene! Sorry that the breakfast did not deliver on the bacon front! I hope to see you the next time you up here from Florida!

Take care