“Fine Stay, but Frustrated by Disorganization”

Best Western Plus Cobourg Inn & Convention Centre
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cobourg
Ottawa, Canada
“Fine Stay, but Frustrated by Disorganization”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

All aspects of our stay was fine, except for our arrival. The lady at front desk was friendly, but aloof. She took a while to find our reservation and after she did told us it wasn't ready but gave no indication how long it would be. This really agitated us for two reasons: 1) We arrived at 430PM and had to get dressed for a wedding in town at 6PM (after driving 3.5 hrs to get there), 2) We had guaranteed our room weeks in advance and called several days prior to request that our room be ready for checkin time (4PM) or earlier, to which they said it would be "no problem at all". Well, that didn't happen and we ended up waiting until 515ish for the room to be cleaned. Considering checkout time is 11AM, a 5 hour room turnaround is unacceptable, especially since we booked with BW because it is known for being a brand that delivers consistent service. I'd expect that from a budget motel, but not a Best Western.

Next time I'm in Cobourg, I'll try a B+B or something in the downtown.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
mississauga
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed at this hotel with our daughter and dog. We were pleasantly surprised with our room, it was clean the pool was great. Very modern with the TV’s and bedding very bright. The down side is the restaurant in this hotel. It looked very nice so we decided to eat there. My husband started off with the French onion soup, he was eating it and then discovered a black thing in his soup. He took out the glob of cheese and we seen a big dead fly sitting in his soup. Right away we could not believe this and we told our daughter not to eat the grilled cheese. We told one waitress the soup and we told her we will not be having our main chores. She walked away and said “you will have to pay for the drinks” and opened up the kitchen door and said “stop the food they do not want it.” Then we walked over to our waitress and she was not apologetic at all. “She said she has had flies in her food and these things happen”. We then told her we work in the food industry and these things do not happen. I have had hair not insects in my food. If she was not phased but a fly then I do not want to eat their, who knows what else. The chief came downstairs as he was catering a party. He was very apologetic and he offered us breakfast but obviously we would not accept. We ended up ordering pizza hut in our room. My husband could not enjoy his food as he felt sick to his stomach. I would stay at the hotel but find somewhere else to eat!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank theshannons_k
Haliburton ontario
Reviewed September 24, 2011

My husband and I were taking the train to Montreal and decided to get a room the night before to be close to the train station. We had no reservation but the reception at the hotel couldn't have been friendlier. We were really surprised by the quality of the room for the price we paid. We travel a great deal and to be honest we thought for the price we paid ($124) we would get the average room but WOW..what a surprise we had. The quality of the room far exceeded the price! The bed linen was of the highest quality and my husband continues to tell everyone that we had the best night sleep he has ever had! and we have paid three times this amount elsewhere! This hotel was a great start to a wonderful vacation. Don't hesitate to stay here!

Room Tip: We asked for a non smoking king size bed
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This hotel was reasonably priced. This is a small town, with only 2 major hotel chains. Front desk staff was helpful, especially the man who checked us in.

This hotel was very clean, and had a great pool with jacuzzi and water play area for kids.

Not much to do in this small town, however the front desk staff was very helpful suggesting area restaurants for a nice couples dinner and our meal was fab! The hotel was fully booked, 2 rooms left, however the male at the front desk allowed me to take a look at the room, as I requested, because it was not exactly what I was looking for. We booked anyway an got the caa rate. The many small gestures of great service were appreciated greatly, and I would stay here again due to the accomodating staff at this location.

We needed extra towels and some toiletries, so we called the front desk and they arrived within 5 minutes!

Our room had a fridge and also a walk out to our parking spot on the ground floor.

Onsite fitness center, with modern equipment, bed was a foldaway cot and too soft.

However bedding was very clean and parking was FREE!

Great stay!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2011

At check in the agent was rude, and impatient, when my wife and I got to the room it seemed old and outdated but with a new big screen tv, I had been up for over 24 hours so I slept without an issue that night. The housekeepers didnt bother knocking either morning, and they came into the room even when I had the privacy sign on the door. When we went to check out of the hotel the person behind the desk was glaring at me for an unknown reason. Horrible service high rates even with a group booking, I grew up in Cobourg and had always thought that this was a good hotel. Oh well lessoned learned next time I will pick a different one.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AoR598
Pittsford, New York
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Traveled with our youth hockey team for a tournament in nearby Baltimore. Most of the team was on the same floor and hotel was filled with other teams. Location was perfect, staff was understanding of what hosting hockey teams means and the kids loved the pool. Good breakfast in the morning and nice lounge in the evening. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2011

This was a good option for a stay in Cobourg. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the staff were friendly. My wife and both kids swam in the pool and all found the water clean and well heated.

We stayed here for two nights while my son's team competed in a local hockey tournament. It was a good base for that. It was close to the arenas and many restaurants. Our team got a discount one morning on the breakfast buffet, which was pretty good.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobourg
Comfort Inn Cobourg
#2 of 12 in Peterborough
The Woodlawn Inn
The Woodlawn Inn
#1 of 7 in Cobourg

Been to Best Western Plus Cobourg Inn & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!