“Quintessential B&B.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Cobourg B&B and Inns
East Sandwich, Massachusetts
“Quintessential B&B.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We arrived at this B&B early. Katherine, our hostess, greeted us at the front door. She was charming and showed us around the property explaining that the house had been built in the mid 1800's. The room was large, bright and beautifully decorated. Katherine was able to explain the attractions in the town of Cobourg which is a beautiful little village right on Lake Ontario. She recommended the Oasis Restaurant which proved to be a great find. Breakfast in the morning was nothing short of gourmet. We started with a fresh fruit cup and followed that with a breakfast casadilla made with eggs and brie cheese. It was wonderful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

The house and its contents (books, art, antiques) are full of character and interest. In Ontario it's not often you get to stay in a house built in 1840! Cathryn is a gracious host and an excellent cook--the breakfasts were incredible, made with fresh, seasonal, local foods. If you're looking for something more interesting than a four-star hotel, this is it. We would happily stay there again and again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

As claimed by the Mackechnie Website, there is no Wi-Fi connection or cable at all. There is poor water supply or water pressure on the third floor (Attic) washroom. The water went off when I was showering-nightmare. The cats owned by Cathryn jumped on to the dining table when we were having our breakfast and almost put his mouth in the cream for coffee, if I did n't stop the cat and my daughter had to call Cathryn. The place is very old & poorly maintained, especially the staircase to the third floor was wobbly . The towels were highly bleached and rough. Most importantly, Cathryn is nice lady, but she has memory issues. We booked for two adults, one child, and a dog on telephone, and when I asked for email confirmation, she just gave me a verbal phone confirmation. When we arrived at her place, she said- I never told her about the child. She charged us extra $35. She also forgot that we booked for two nights. So, we paid $170 for one night and did not extend our stay.She would not give a printed invoice or receipt of payment. She charged us 13% HST, we paid by cash and she gave us a handwritten receipt on a sticky pad paper. The breakfast was just okay for $170 a night. I could have afforded a 4star place for that rate per night with buffet breakfast . Unfortunately there weren't any accommodations or rooms available in any of the hotels this past long weekend of August 2013 in Cobourg.

Room Tip: Please confirm bookings in writing as Cathryn has memory issues. Please take a printed receipt of pa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Angel1410
ssstormy, Owner at Mackechnie House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
I am sorry my guest had so many issues with the stay here- perhaps there were misunderstandings on both sides.

The reservation was made under the names of two adults and one little dog in their company. The rate quoted was for two people - my web site shows the additional rate for a third person.

After the three guests arrived, I advised them that there would be a small additional charge. A few hours later I was advised that they would not be staying for a second night.

I should have checked my appointment book before saying that I thought they had only booked for the one night.When I did check, I discovered that two nights had been initially reserved. Normally 72 hours is required to cancel without penalty, but because of my error, I waived the charge. So this memory issue turned out to be favourable for the guest.

The water pressure problems were caused by some work being done on the lines outside the house. It was temporary and lasted about 15 minutes but I apologize - it is certainly disconcerting to have the water stop in the middle of the shower.

To address the other concerns - i do have Wi- Fi - Other guests have not experienced problems. II would have been happy to help if I had been aware of any problems accessing it.

Not much I can say about the cat - it did happen - I usually have him outside during breakfast. I am sorry that this morning I didn't notice he was indoors.

The house is very old (1843) but I would appreciate knowing the areas of concern about poor maintenance so I can address them.

The staircase to the third floor is steep and one is step higher than the rest to accommodate the line of the wall, I do warn people about the steepness and if the guests are elderly suggest a room on the lower floors when they book.

As far as the bedding and bathroom accessories,I don't use bleach but will check with the Housekeepers and will replace any towels that are not soft enough.

The receipt was handwritten on a sheet of paper 4 1/4 X 11. Had a printed receipt been preferable, as it often is for business purposes, I would have been happy to comply.

I agree the breakfast was just O.K.. I think it suffered when the guests were not at different times the table because they were walking the dog.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of these problems could have been resolved had they been communicated.

I appreciate the feed back and the fact that this guest took the time to provide it. Without these kinds of comments, self-evaluation would be more difficult.

I do take exception though with the condition I supposedly suffer from; Mixing up the length of a stay is one thing; memory loss quite another.
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Large room, good lighting, nice sized bathroom, fridge, bathrobes, liquid hand and bath soap, although no body lotion or hair dryer - probably have that if you ask .  Excellent breakfast. Savoury doughnut with sage, fruit cup with a fruit sauce reduction. Poached eggs on artichoke hearts, bacon, sweet pea blinis with artichoke tapenade, baby arugula salad with red and yellow grape tomatoes, juice, served in a lovely red dining room. Very comfortable room temp. The owner is very gracious.

Room Tip: The downstairs room at the back was very spacious and very private.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alwaysplanahead
Grimsby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

A 173 year old house with 9 - 10 foot ceilings, beautifully decorated, and quiet and peaceful. Cathryn (the owner) is a superb host and provides an excellent breakfast. We definitely will be coming back to Mackechnie House and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phil T
Carmel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

The Mackechnie House is a beautiful, comfortable home. Cathryn, the owner, besides making her guests feel so comfortable and at home, is an excellent gourmet cook. It was a real treat to stay in a historical mansion. and her breakfast the next morning was out of the ordinary, so so delicious. The location was very convenient to the pretty beach and harbor of Cobourg. There are cute shops to visit and lots of very nice restaurants. If you are taking a drive along Lake Ontario, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Mrs. Fortune Room and adjoining bath were so beautifully decorated!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancy F
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Having been to this B&B several times and I once again had an opportunity to experience this exquisite and most interesting creative home. The owner is gracious and passionate about her work and makes sure guests have all that they need.
Her gourmet cooking skills are exquiste and unique. A private dinner and amazing breakfast met every expectation and more than anyone can imagine.Cannot wait to experience this lovely property, location and home in the near future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank granddamme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobourg
BEST WESTERN PLUS Cobourg Inn & Convention Centre
Ste. Anne's Spa
Ste. Anne's Spa
#1 of 1 in Grafton
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,327 reviews

Been to Mackechnie House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!