“Exceptional Country and Gourmet Experience”

and 1 more site!
Mackechnie House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 7 Cobourg B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Having been to this B&B several times and I once again had an opportunity to experience this exquisite and most interesting creative home. The owner is gracious and passionate about her work and makes sure guests have all that they need.
Her gourmet cooking skills are exquiste and unique. A private dinner and amazing breakfast met every expectation and more than anyone can imagine.Cannot wait to experience this lovely property, location and home in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank granddamme

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Cathryn did not disappoint as my mother, sister and I returned for another visit last Christmas. We decided to have a late dinner lesson and it was so much fun. I highly recommend the cooking lessons because Cathryn is a wealth of information and lovely to chat with. We were shown how to make a lovely rosemary shortbread, pan fried chick peas, mushrooms in Fontina Cheese sauce (O.M.G. so good!) and a lovely chicken. She also provided dessert and we had brought out own wine to share. It was really fabulous and Cathryn never disappoints in the kitchen.

Coming to the Inn is always like greeting an old friend in which it feels no time has passed at all. The house was beautifully decorated for Christmas (the white Poinsettias were simple but so effective adorning each step of the large staircase in the front hall). We visited with Cathryn, enjoyed the great room and slept like babies. My beloved Sherman the cat returned for a visit and I asked if he could stay with me for the night. Curled up on the foot of my bed I watched some movies on my laptop and fell asleep quite comfortably. We stayed in the rooms I mentioned in my previous review.

The following morning we were treated to an exceptionally beautiful breakfast which Cathryn is quite famous for. Always a pleasure to stay here and I am sure we will be back again. I would highly recommend this for couples or a girls weekend. I know I will be back solo as well when I need a little working weekend away from home.

My only suggestion would be a pillow top for the mattresses as I find the beds a little harder than I prefer but that's strictly my personal preference. Cathryn is always the gracious host and I would tell anyone to book here. :)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank spagirlforlife
Reviewed October 1, 2012

MacKechnie House is a lovely B&B in Cobourg, Ontario. The house is on a side street in a residential area that is very quiet and attractive, and quite simple to find. The house is large and gracious, and the bedrooms are beautifully furnished in keeping with the 1880s epoch of the house. The bedrooms (and our bed) are comfortable, the bathrooms are modern and up-to-scratch. The public rooms are tastefully furnished and comfortable, and everything gives a sense of being cared for and well maintained.

The breakfast was provided in an impressive dining room, and was generous, imaginative and tasty – Katherine Thompson (the owner) is also a professional caterer and her skills and style are evident. She is friendly and welcoming, and the whole experience was very positive. We would go back and can recommend MacKechnie House with confidence and pleasure.

Cobourg is a quiet town, somewhat off the beaten track, whose heyday was perhaps 75 years ago. It is now a semi-rural town with a charming downtown, a lovely marina and beautiful new condos – it looks like a great retirement destination – not far from Toronto or Montreal, with a pace that is dialled down from these large cities.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sunnyside316
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our hostess Kathryn was delightful and very helpful. She recommended local businesses we needed and did not steer us wrong. Breakfast was good and the coffee was excellent. If we have a need to visit Cobourg again, we will stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Amazing night at the Mackechnie House! The breakfast in the morning was out of this world! My only complaint is that there was no shutter/curtain on the window which in the morning let in the sun and woke me up:( I will most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ahounsell
ssstormy, Owner at Mackechnie House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

I am so sorry about the (too) early morning sun but all the rooms have curtains or shutters except the room on the third floor with the half moon windows. I assume that was the problem room - not sure how I can find coverings for this unusual shape but will try to come up with a solution.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

We had originally booked the MacKechnie House for our wedding party for later in July at a time when I was rather stressed as the entire town was starting to book up, and we were worried we might not have room for all our guests. Cathryn was nothing but helpful, going over and above to help me with my questions, and in providing suggestions and recommendations that have helped me so much (my fantastic hair and make-up ladies were her recommendation).

We came out to her lovely B&B early for one night, as we were in town for wedding-related appointments. She had also invited us to stay with her if we were ever in town, so we could check out her location ourselves before our wedding. I am so glad we did. We've stayed at many B&Bs before, as it tends to be our preference when traveling. Cathryn's beautiful MacKechnie House took my breath away and completely exceeded our expectations in every way.

The house itself is something out of a magazine. A very large historical house - it's more of a manor than your average home. We found out from another guest that she and her husband had needed to put quite a bit of work into restoring it, and it shows... their home is exquisite. If you are a lover of character homes and old things, you will love the MacKechnie House.

In general, her rooms are much larger and more well-stocked than the average B&B (if you think of the average home B&Bs are run out of). Each room is unique and tastefully decorated, and as a whole, her property is probably more of a well-serviced boutique hotel with a very personal touch.

Breakfast was another experience in itself. Cathryn is a chef and caterer by trade, and it really shows in her breakfasts. Can we say: one of the best breakfasts we've ever had? Everything was delicious... I had read a review complaining that the host (Cathryn) hadn't provided bread/toast. Why on earth would you want toast for breakfast, when you can have the gorgeous home-cooked spread Cathryn prepares for her guests? Anyway.

All I can say is I am so unbelievably relieved we lucked out and found Cathryn, and found her beautiful home for our wedding. It's going to be an unbelievable backdrop to our big day, and I'm glad Cathryn will be able to be a part of it, considering how much she's helped us.

I love it there so much, I'm considering having my bachelorette girl's weekend at her B&B... but that's still in the works and I just found out I'm not actually the one planning it. Oops! :)

July can't come soon enough.

Room Tip: The best way to select a room is just to ask Cathryn about the different rooms. Every guest is diffe...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank artichokefish
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I stayed over just one night to break up a long drive from Windsor to Ottawa. Cathryn was a great hostess, especially her cooking. She prepared a fantastic breakfast & even went out to pick up chocolate to make hot chocolate. I'd highly recommend Mackechnie House!

Room Tip: I didn't stay in it but the Mrs Fortune room was huge with a large ensuite
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Tennisguy1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobourg
Comfort Inn Cobourg
Twin Maples Bed and Breakfast
Willowmere Bed and Breakfast
Plantation House Bed and Breakfast
Best Western Plus Cobourg Inn & Convention Centre

Been to Mackechnie House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!