“Not bad - Not great”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Collingwood
Mountain View Villas at Cranberry
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We traded for this unit through RCI. After reading other reviews on TripAdvisor, I was reluctant to go, but couldn't change the reservation without forfeiting most of the points I used for the trade.

I didn't think it was as bad as the other reviewers did. After having greatly lowered expectations, I was pleasantly surprised. Although the things mentioned in the other review were mostly true, I didn't find them to be as much of a problem as other guests did.

We had unit #385, which was at the back and very quiet. Having a detached unit was nice. The grounds were beautifully kept and there were modern gas grills for guests to use, as well as a pleasant patio with a picnic table and some chairs. We called maintenance for some minor issues and a very nice man came and fixed everything. He said the units are due to be re-furbished in November during "down-time".

We didn't use the facilities at the Cranberry Inn, but the staff there was more than helpful. Guests have use of the local YMCA, which had a nice pool and gym, not crowded during the day. The spa across from the Cranberry Inn was great.

We didn't find a lot to do in Collingwood. Wasaga Beach was more dirt than sand on the beach, with muddy water and a few tacky shops. We went up to Scenic Caves, which were interesting, and did an "Eco Adventure Tour" with a treetop walk and short zipline. That was fun. We went to "Village at Blue" which is mostly upscale shops for those who want to shop. They have a gondola to the top of the ski run, and music in the evening. We went to a play at the local theater which was quite good for an amateur production. We went into Toronto for a day, which was a disappointment.

My biggest complaint was the beds. I was sleeping in the loft and the beds were so uncomfortable, I was waking up in the middle of the night with a backache too bad to let me sleep. My sister in the master bedroom said hers was okay. I called to ask if the matress and box spring could be replaced and they said it would require approval by the board of directors. I ended up putting the mattress from the sleeper sofa on the floor and was not comfortable, but less miserable.

One more note. The lady that comes with a welcome basket will try to schedule you to come to the office for customer satisfaction feedback. Don't go. It's a scam to get you to a sales pitch for timeshare resales.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank kuhlmd

Reviewed July 30, 2008

The resort itself consists of separate villas which make them quiet and easy to access. Shore to Slope management gives you lots of supplies like extra towels, boxes of tissues, rolls of toilet paper, salt and pepper, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, and garbage bags.

The location is very good. Collingwood has a lot to offer including Blue Mountain for skiing in winter and for shopping and hiking in the summer. The scenic caves now have a million dollar suspension bridge that spans the valley. There is an adventure at Blue Mount that consists of “treetop walking” which is very popular. You can go fishing or boating on Georgian bay which is a short walk from the resort. Cranberry has it’s own yacht club. You are also a short drive (30 - 40 minutes) from Wasaga Beach which is a fantastic, wide, fresh water beach with lots of amenities. You can also drive to Casino Rama near Orillia, about an hour and a half away, or take the free motor coach on Wednesdays which includes a free buffet dinner at the casino.

We stayed in a one-bedroom with loft unit. There are 16 units on site. These units used to be part of the Cranberry Inn complex but were sold off some time ago. Check-in is still at the Cranberry Inn, but they don't do anything but take your credit card number and tell you to come back at 4 pm when they will give you the key to your unit. They answered my questions with "I don't know".
The pool and recreation facilities are at the Cranberry Inn a short walk across a quiet street. The walk from the main Inn to either pool is 5 for the family pool and 15 minutes for the adult pool. There is construction beside the resort. It’s not related in any way to the resort, but the noise travels just the same. They were even working on Sunday. It will probably be done 4-6 months. They seem to be building a strip mall that faces highway 26.
The GOOD:
Lots of extra supplies were provided free of charge.
There was a nice ceiling fan in the cathedral ceiling in the living room.
The villa was clean.
They sent over a welcome hostess on Wednesday who brought us a welcome basket that consisted of a small box of chocolates, a 2 litre bottle of ice tea, a bag of microwave popcorn, and a magazine about the area, all supported by a plastic dish with lime green polka dots and wrapped in clear cellophane. She was nice and only stayed a few minutes.
The bed linens and bedspreads were new looking.
The towels were white, clean and in good shape.
There is an adults-only pool in addition to the family pool.
When we had a maintenance issue after midnight, the maintenance man was there within 20 minutes.
The BAD:
The cleaning crew captain told us on Saturday that about half the units had been unoccupied during our week, as the owners had just not shown up. That would seem to speak volumes.
The large non-stick frying pan was burned and scratched to the point that I would have thrown it out if it had been mine. The rest of the pots and pans were not really adequate, if you actually wanted to do any cooking (which we did.)
The unit was very dated for example, wallpaper borders in the L/R and bathrooms, cushion flooring and worn and faded pink indoor/outdoor carpeting, vertical blinds that didn't keep the sun out as they no longer opened and closed properly, the upholstered furniture needed recovering or replacing, the pocket doors were all off level and therefore ill-fitting.
The shower rod in the small 3-piece bath was falling down.
A drywall repair in the living room had never been mudded and repainted.
The adults-only pool was unsupervised and not skimmed or cleaned often. There were dead flies floating on the top every day. Supervision also might have kept the non-adults from entering the pool area. Reportedly, the skimmer had stolen and they hadn't replaced it, so you couldn't even do the skimming yourself.
The steps from the adult pool to the patio restaurant at the golf club were broken and closed from Sunday (and perhaps before that) until Thursday.
The family pool was very small and crowded.
The microwave was 10 to 15 years old.
No ice-make in the fridge.
The Weird:
The kitchen cupboard drawers couldn't open fully as the fridge was too deep and impeded their path.
There was no shower in the master bathroom! There was whirlpool tub (not the big lounging kind, but the size and shape of a regular bathtub) but there was no shower head. The walls around the tub had ceramic tile right up to the ceiling so there could easily have been a shower installed there. So you had to shower in the small 3-piece bath off the living room.
The a/c unit (a noisy older model) servicing the villa closest to ours was 6 feet from our patio and the noise it made interfered with normal conversation while eating dinner on our patio. It was a humid week, so the unit ran almost constantly during daylight hours.
There were NO hangers nor was there a bar for hangers in the loft closet. It was a huge closet, but it was more like a storage room.
The gas fireplace wouldn't turn on. It was summer, but one night it was a little chilly, so we wanted to use it.
The bed in the master bedroom was placed on a wooden box instead of a bed frame. This resulted in a bed that a short person would need a step stool to get into and it made the bed creak. When either I or my husband got out of bed, the other person was almost catapulted onto the floor.
One of the two twin beds in the loft was extremely creaky whenever a person moved around in the bed.
You could be freezing on the main floor and the loft was too warm for sleeping because the heating/cooling vent was in the stairway and not in the loft itself.
Incidental comments:
The TV was the old style (not an LCD flat screen) and situated so that glare was an issue.
The living room was large and the kitchen was very small. If you had 6 people staying you would not all be able to eat at the kitchen table in one sitting. Even 4 would be a challenge.
The kitchen was very small with almost no counter space.
The master bedroom had a single 2 foot wide closet and one small dresser. This was not adequate for two adults sharing the bedroom.
Much of the design elements wouldn't sell at a yard sale. For example there was a tiny forest green lamp in the loft on the night table. It would be inadequate for bedtime reading.
The lamps in the main bedroom were mismatched.
The microwave was placed on top of the fridge. One of our friends couldn't even reach it as she is only 5 foot 2 inches tall.
There was no view of the mountain from our villa, even from the loft window which did face in the direction of the mountain. It makes you wonder at the name "Mountain View Villas."
We were told that we couldn't get into our villa early, even though it was ready, because they used the time between 10 am and 4 pm to clean and to do maintenance. Well the maintenance part is in doubt because of all the maintenance issues we found, and the grounds maintenance didn't happen until 10 am on Monday. It was noisy with 3 men all using gas powered tools at once. Why they couldn't do it between 10 and 4 on Saturday when the villas are empty is beyond me. The cleaners had left by the time we arrived at 2 pm. We walked over and looked around to be sure. The staff at Cranberry Inn gave us the key at 10 minutes to 4 and told us not to go over until 4 pm. Arbitrary rules like that one just make me crazy!

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank travelbug9999Ontario
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I initially read the review about the property from the Timeshare User Group and was rated at 7 out of 10. I then read the reviews about the Cranberry Resort from Trip Advisor and saw a very poor rating. I lowered my expectation. They are adjacent to one another and share the use of the recreation facilities, but they maintained that they are separate entities.

We arrived at 3:45pm and check was done at the Cranberry Resort. It was very speedy.

We got into the room and found a bedroom with a queen size bed, a living room with a small, but fully equipped kitchen. This unit has a loft that has two twin beds with a walk-in closet for the kids. It is a great set up. The kids liked to have a space of their own. The unit was 383. However, the carpet was obviously very stained. The furnishing is very much from the 1980s and the fabric of the couch looks like it has not been washed for a long time. I found crumbs under our bed. The beds however are comfortable. It is equipped with two TV and a DVD player.

We did cook in our unit. All the stove and microwave worked well. There is a full size fridge. However, I found that the utensils were dirty. There was cheese and peanut butter sticking to the utensils and the plates. I rewashed everything before I used it.

We visited Wasaga Beach. The kids liked playing with the sand. However, the sand was very hard and matted down. I saw parents bringing their metal shovel to loosen the sand for the kids to play. The water is murky. We paid $13.85 for the day.

We also visited Village at the Blue. It was a fun place and we ate at Copper Blue. The food was good. They also had a chilli fest on July 5. It was fun.

We used the indoor swimming pool. The water was very cold at first. It does take a bit of time to get used to it. Once I got swimming, it was fine. They do have a very nicely heated outdoor swimming pool complete with life guards. Also from July 1 till the end of the summer, they have some very fun kids program that you can enroll the kids for the week. They have 8 outdoor tennis courts that the timeshare user can only use between 3-5pm. Their recreation facility does make it a desirable place to stay in.

Our stay then took a downturn when we were contacted by the agent from Guest service. She told me that she has a welcome gift for us and would be coming in 30 minutes. I told her politely that I was just about to leave with my children to go swimming. She insisted on coming right away. She came and delivered the gift. She proceeded to tell us that this timeshare does not require us to do an inventory list before and after our stay. She then asked if we have any concerns. I told her that the shower faucet was dripping. She then asked if it was bothering me. I told her that it wasn't bothering me in terms of noise, but it was just a terrible waste of water. She then told me that I should then attend the satisfaction survey session which had limited seating with refreshment that was going to be happening at 1 or 2:30pm. I declined because I told her that this was my vacation and I planned to do activities rather than going to fill out a survey. Then she asked me if I was going to be available the next day at the same time. I gave her the same answer, "no". She was not too pleased. She didn't say much further and left.

We then returned to our unit later on that day. A bag lady came around asking for beer bottles. We don't drink. We told her nicely that we didn't have anything to give her. Our kids were playing hide and seek in their loft and their walk in closet. We then went out for dinner.

After dinner, my daughter called me and told me that she found "poo poo" upstairs. I thought to myself "great now there are rats here too." However, when I checked it out, there was a piece of dried up dog poo left on a white piece of paper in the middle of the doorway by her walk in closet in the loft upstairs. I had to unlock the door when I came into the unit. We checked our belongings. Nothing was touched or stolen. There was a patio door which I checked at the beginning of my stay and it was locked by the lock by the handle. The secondary lock was broken. I unfortunately never checked the window upstairs to see if it was locked.

We called management. They were very responsive and offered to change our unit right away. We did. However, it still left me with a sense of insecurity. I couldn't sleep that night. If we didn't have friends with us on the same trip, I would have left without completing my stay. Our second unit was 361 and it was a much better furnished and cleaner unit. It still has a quite badly dripping faucet that was not fixed.

I would have rated it a 3 out of 5 because of the fabulous recreation facility if it wasn't for the poo incident. With security issues, I will never go back again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank CandyC8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
Days Inn & Suites Collingwood
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#3 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Mountain View Villas at Cranberry? Share your experiences!