“Yummy!”

Ranked #36 of 125 Restaurants in Collingwood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We visit the Alphorn about once a month when in the area. We have always had great service and food, the only down side is the frozen vegetables but the other sides are great. The schnitzel is very generous and the mushroom and red wine gravy is awesome. Our kids love going there, it is loud and noisy at times, especially if there is a birthday celebration but that is all in the fun. They don't take reservations and fill up fast so we tend to go early if possible.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had been to this place before but couldn't really remember it so we tried it again. Although it is a Swiss restaurant there was only one schnitzel on the menu so I had it. It came plain, with baby carrots which I guess were frozen and the roesti potatoes that were straw potatoes at best. That was it!
My husband ordered sausage and it came with a gravy with onions in it so I asked for some of that to offset the dryness of my schnitzel. The waitress told me there would be a charge for it. I declined out of principle . She brought me a pre packaged tub of plum sauce and told me the schnitzel was like chicken fingers anyway . WHAT??
A basket of bread was brought to us initially with some nice looking rye bread. It came with pots of margarine . I detest margarine so I asked the waitress for butter. She told me that they had no butter because nothing on there menu was made with butter. On reviewing the menu I found 2 dishes that came with herbed butter and another cooked with butter. WTH?
To top it off there were a few groups in the restaurant and instead of spacing them out , there were all clumped together.
It's a strange place. Don't waste your hard earned money here. They need to shape up and not just depend on their location.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

You only go back because of tradition, you don't go for the food.
The veggies are all frozen, the bread is white sliced bag bread, the schnitzel (most likely frozen also) is mediocre at best. But it's been open forever and no one gets sick...so that's a positive?!

The decor is dusty, all from the 70's & 80's (so don't go putting your lips on the horn if you know what I mean).

But the beer is cold and varied, the atmosphere is lively and fun. It's close to the mountain and it's better than cooking after a long day of skiing (I guess).

Just order what they are know for....don't go ordering anything different as you will be disappointed.

1  Thank kristenrobin
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have been to the Alphorn many times, we just love everything about it!, from the food, atmoshpere, staff - big shout out to Wanda!
I don't think there is anything on the menu that you wouldn't like!
Of coarse they are very famous for their Alphorn Cut Snitzel & potato pancake, which is two pieces of snitzel, most of the time, you will take one piece home and can make a sandwich with it - great leftover sandwhich!
It is certainly worth the wait if you get there and the restaurant if full, but you can get a drink while you wait in the bar. If you really can't wait, or just don't feel like making dinner, they have take-out!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

this place is apparently so popular with skiers. We heard it was so great and it is a small crowded and tacky restaurant. I had ceasar salad , plain, and the chicken dish. which was overcooked. my husband had the schnitzel which is what they are famous for and it was dry and bland. we had wine and with the two of us, it was well over $100. Should have ordered a pizza instead. Will never go again.