“Excellent!”

Ranked #27 of 126 Restaurants in Collingwood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

It's popular for a reason. Food is delicious and a great ambience. We ordered a few things to taste. The carpaccio was excellent as were the salads. The spaghetti and meat balls and chicken parmagiano were our favourites. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My first night in town and I didn't know anything about its offerings. A walk down main street revealed a hidden gem just off the beaten path. Tesoro has outside patio service but it was booked so I opted for an inside table. The smell of Italy immediately greeted me as i walked through the doors. Their menu offerings were varied - wish i had the appetite to try a few of them. I did order a glass of wine to add to my eating ambience. The stuffed shells were swimming in a well-seasoned sauce. There were just enough to satisfy my hunger pangs.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I lived in Collingwood a few years ago and used to get pizza from Tesoro on a fairly regular basis. Was back in town this past weekend and stopped in for a pizza. It had been several years but as it was the same owner I didn't consider that the pizza could have changed. When the pizza arrived I thought it looked different but wasn't sure. Took a bite and sure enough, something was different. The dough looked and tasted like it was a frozen pie shell and it was quite tough. The sauce lacked flavour as did did the cheese. I ate only one slice of the pizza and when asked if anything was wrong I expressed my disappointment. The server spoke with the owner who didn't even come over to speak with me. I paid for the pizza and left. I won't be back.

1  Thank TheGardenGuy
Reviewed July 9, 2013

During a trip up to the Blue Mountain’s Scandinavian Spa, we stopped off in Collingwood for a nibble. We decided to try Tesoro, which my friend heard about through a poll of the top restaurants in Collingwood - it was voted first place. Tucked in a quiet lane way off the main road, Tesoro has a nice patio area lined with greenery; perfect for dining on a sunny day.

While at an Italian restaurant, you can’t go wrong with carbs. Since we were outside, it felt too hot for pasta so I opted for their 8” lunch pizza ($11.95) instead. Chosen from a selection of approximately a dozen choices, I selected “Roberto” which had a tomato-based sauce with mozzarella, Sicilian meatballs, mushrooms, garlic and parmagiano. The home-made meat balls were enjoyable; not too fatty or salty and really made a meal of the pizza. A ton of garlic was sprinkled over everything and added a fragrant aroma. However, the crust needed some work. Although it was an adequate thickness and had a decent crispy yet chewy texture, too much flour covered the bottom of the pizza. So, the first thing you tasted is powder when it hits your tongue. If the chef used corn meal instead, at least a nicer crust would have formed on the bottom of the dough.

The pizza is accompanied by your choice of green salad or soup. Strangely, if you prefer Ceaser salad over garden an extra $1.50 is required. But, since I had a hankering for it, I ordered it anyways and requested it to be lightly dressed as I detest soggy dressing soaked lettuce. Alas, when it arrived, my request was ignored so I had to scrap off the dressing myself.

Although I'm by no means a regular diner at Collingwood, I'm surprised Tesoro won the top spot on this poll. Obviously, I’m not privy to knowing how many people voted and who the audience was, but having been to a couple of other restaurants in Blue Mountain, I would not consider Tesoro superior to them.

Nonetheless, the prices are reasonable and the surroundings quaint - the patio had European music piping out the speakers which made it a quiet and relaxing environment. And to be fair, although we were having a later lunch, a steady stream of customers was still visiting Tesoro so it must be a popular destination. So, perhaps it’s not the food quality that will bring you here but rather the peaceful environment away from the buzz of Blue Mountain.

For a picture of the above lunch please visit http://gastroworldblog.blogspot.ca/2013/07/teroso-collingwood.html

1  Thank Gastro_World
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Arrived on time for our reservation and food order taken. A very long wait for food to arrive - over 70 minutes. One table beside us, who arrived after us, were served food before us. The pizza was very average and not worth it. Disappointing and unlikely we will return.

4  Thank Coll-Reviewer