“Very disappointed...”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Siamese Gecko - CLOSED

The Siamese Gecko
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Burlington, Canada
“Very disappointed...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My fiance and I are from out of town and we love Thai food. We saw this restaurant was busy at lunch, so we decided to try it for dinner. Big mistake. When we walked in, it smelled like hot grease. The young waitress (owner's granddaughter) was smiling and friendly, but we were completely ignored by the owner. When she went to speak with the only two other patrons and greet them, she only looked over at us. The waitress recommended the pad thai (which is my favourite) and we asked about a dish my fiance had at another restaurant and loved. The pad thai was bland and it was the wrong noodles. They were soggy and all broken. It was actually unappetizing. The dish she recommended for us was not what we described at all, it was also bland, and the beef in it looked gray and boiled.

The waitress never asked if we wanted anything to drink, either. We had to ask - after our food was served to us. The menu had a bunch of things scribbled out or crossed off with either marker or pen, and the atmosphere was really lacking. We definitely wouldn't go back, or recommend it at all.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank thisisthelifebc

Toronto
“Great service and amazing food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Sometimes I'm not exactly sure what we're ordering but I have to say that I have enjoyed everything we have tried at The Siamese Gecko. The vegetable spring rolls are very tasty and the tom yum soup is absolutely phenomenal. The pineapple rice is also very delicious. We usually try a curry dish as well (even though we're rather full by the time it arrives) and they're often different but always good. I've just started keeping track so that I can narrow down some favourites. The night we visited there was a party of 10 older customers at a large table and the rest of the restaurant was pretty full so it was a very loud dining experience...still loved it.

• Visited August 2013
Shrivenham, United Kingdom
“Hit and miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I are big fans of Thai food and have been to many Thai restaurants. I had a real craving this evening and so we decided to try the Gecko. My husbands green curry chicken was nice. Savoury, spicey and sweet. Very fragrant. My pad Thai however was not very good. The noodles were very thin and mushy. As a result they were all broken and the consistency of the dish was not very appealing. I order pad Thai regularly and have never had it served like this before. The fish cakes we ordered as an appetizer were served with our mains. All in all, simply OK.

• Visited July 2013
Destin, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tom Yum is phenominal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The title says it all. We have dined in at the former downtown location with friends and had take out from the new Hwy 26 location. The flavor is world class.

Visited April 2013
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Tasty, tasty, tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Excellent value and extremely tasty food. We had three different dishes - Chicken Green Thai Curry, King Shrimp Red Thai Curry with pineapple (yum) and a chicken stir fry. We all tried a bit of each and declared them all excellent. With a couple of desserts, the total bill came to just over $50 for three meals. They don't have a liquor licence but on this occasion the food didn't need anything to compliment it. It's on the western edge of Collingwood, just off First Street, so easy to find and get parked up at.

Visited July 2013