“Over-priced, not well done.”
Review of TheSmoke

TheSmoke
Reserve with OpenTable
TheSmoke is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 126 Restaurants in Collingwood
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: TheSmoke has taken BBQ to a Whole New Level. From traditional award winning BBQ such as succulent Smoked Ribs, Beef Brisket, Chicken and Pulled Pork to Non Traditional BBQ such as Smoked Trout, Smoked Balls of Meat, Smoked Burgers and Smoked Ice Cream. Everything is made from scratch on the premises from the Chef's own recipes. Recently filmed for the Food Network Show, "You Gotta Eat Here" Season 4, with Host John Catucci, tells you we are doing something right. We have also won many awards, including the People's Choice Award for Collingwood's Taste of The Town, two years in a row. Our menu offers creative BBQ Sandwiches, like a Wild Boar Bacon Lettuce, Tomato and Smoked Cheddar Sandwich (WBBTLC) on grilled Sourdough, to our "Cow Meats Pig" Sandwich (basically and Beef Brisket sandwich on top of their Pulled Pork sandwich. Also voted "Best Burgers" by Days Out Ontario, with their smoked Beef, Turkey or Salmon Burgers, or the Poutine Burger, Pig on a Patty or Wholly Cow. Don't leave out the other mains, like Smoked Salmon, Trout, Wings, Brisket, Pulled Pork and Bacon Wrapped Loaf of Meat. And pick one or two sides from Sweet Potato Fries, Mac n Cheese, BBQ Beans (a 24 hour process to make), Salads and more. In addition to dine in, and take out, we also have take home. Most of the meats are smoked and fully cooked, individually cry-o-vacked, ready to take home and re-heat. From Full racks of Pork Back Ribs, Smoked Burgers, Trout, Bacon and More. Everything is made in house, and full of flavour. Five house made BBQ sauces are at the table to play with, and purchase to take home
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Found their ribs to be extremely tough. And $8.00 for a piece of apple pie won't make me return. Maybe things have improved but the music was blaring. I prefer a quiet background music, not loud, thumping rock music. It is too bad, we were really looking forward to it, but, I will not return.

5  Thank OlderCustomer
Cam D, Owner at TheSmoke, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

You wrote a very negative review based on our first two weeks of opening. And, you post it at the end of March. A lot of changes have been implemented since we opened. The Apple Pie was frozen, and not ours and we stopped serving it months ago. Our ribs are Tender, and our sound system has changed, including the music. Our Prices are very reasonable. To judge a restaurant in the first week or two of opening is pretty harsh, and to say you would never return tells me you never give second chances. It is too bad. We have been giving our guests comment cards for the last 3 months, and the feedback is amazing. You cant please everyone, but after serving over 25,000 customers since we opened, we have over 99% positive feedback. It seems when someone has a negative experience they want to share it, and only a small fraction of people post the Positive Experience.

As they say, "Never say Never", so you just might want to give us another shot. My Goal is to Exceed Your Expectations, and I hope I do.

Regards,

Cam

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Great food and service. You gotta enjoy smoked meat or fish as it definitely the specialty. We had ribs, brisket ans smoked chicken which were all delicious. They have interesting flavours for their side orders which balance the bbq nicely. Atmosphere is casual, just a little too noisy. A few acoustic panels would do wonders.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Went on a busy Sat. night with reservation for 2. Prompt seating and initial service, bit of a long delay getting main course served (30 mins) however it was a full house so delay was expected. Food was fabulous. Server was very pleasant and attentive. Atmosphere can get a little loud with ski/snowboard crowd. Forget "intimate" experience if that is was you are after on a Sat.night., perhaps midweek. Met with the owner Cam Dyment who is very open, laid back, approachable and humble. As a self taught chef he is doing a fantastic job, we wish you every success in your new business venture Cam. We will be back for sure.

1  Thank Jonahs R
Reviewed February 20, 2013

A very short drive from the Blue Mountain Resort, and not difficult to find. Extremely children friendly, and most unusual foods, to cater to every taste - highly recommend this for a visit.

2  Thank Carol B
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Out with my wife for dinner and a movie, We previously had a good burger there soon after it had opened and thought to try some of the other offerings. It was early enough and we had plenty of time before the movie (lucky). The place was full I think we got the last table (yes the crappy one near the toilets), still we were happy to get a table and as it turned out being near the kitchen was quite informative.
I ordered the pulled pork on a bun with fries, my wife a quarter smoked chicken, sweet potato fries and coleslaw. Feeling hungry I also ordered a side of cornbread for $5.
I was quite interested in what was going on at the serving station, the stainless steel platters they use were stacked on every surface with some part of a meal already applied, there seemed to be an ongoing argument between the wait staff and the kitchen, I couldn’t hear exactly, but the result was a lot of waiving around of order tickets and no movement of food. The place was packed and I watched for 20 minutes as burgers cooled and salad wilted under the heat lamps. When food eventually moved it was soon back, rejected for either wrong side or wrong temperature. I grabbed the attention of the waitress as she was passing and asked after our side of cornbread, I was hungry by now and at least wanted an appetizer. Clearly in a bad mood she paused then snapped that she WAS going to put the cornbread on the side of our entrée and not charge us, but since we were asking for a side she would charge us the $5. I guess you had to be there to appreciate how she burned her own tip.
She marched over to the serving station, got a pair of tongs and dug into a pan under the heat lamps for two small squares of cornbread and dropped them on a steel platter…5 bucks for cornbread that had been drying under the heat lamps all evening. No butter or anything to go with it. Just dry crumbling bread with no butter. Oh and the bottom of the cornbread was burnt.
When she returned we had to ask for a refill of my drink, she ignore that my wife’s drink was just about gone…because by now we had been sitting there for half an hour. Of course drinks were the only thing moving, the table next to us was getting rather surly and people from other tables were walking to the kitchen to ask where the food was. Not good.
Strangely enough our food was some of the first to come out even though we were clearly one of the last to get a table. So here is the food review bit:
On the good side, for my wife there was plentiful sweet potato fries and the coleslaw was great… the quarter chicken was well smaller even than Swiss chalet, it was grey, not smoked, it was tepid and dry. It was only edible with the generous application of one of the table sauces. We did think about sending it back, but given the chaos…we would still be there waiting now.
My pulled port sandwich. The bun was good.
The pork was tasteless I had to smother it in sauce to eat it. My fries were just this side of cold. The steel platters look very chic, but they suck the heat out of the food instantly. My fries were also lacking in body count. Measly, paltry…disappointing.
We finished the food quickly and left. Complaining would have been pointless. It would have stopped us getting to the movie (silver linings playbook, quite good).
I do however believe to not post this review would be a disservice. They need to sort the chaos in the kitchen, watch for slipping standards with the food or frankly they won’t last the long gap between ski seasons. I will only go back when I hear good things; there are too many other restaurants to risk a bad meal.

9  Thank Dave N