“Terrible”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We live in Collingwood so thought we would finally check out this restaurant. Why anyone would choose to go back to this restaurant is beyond me. Service was sub standard but the real disappointment was the advertised great ' lobster fest" ' - it was horrible. No taste - didn't offer sour cream for potatoes or any sauce for the meat. Tasted like a dull homemade meal with absolutely no taste, seasoning or spices. The service was not good - took 15 min for the waitress to take our food order and there was a total of 6 people dining at the same time as us! We were seated beside the kitchen so we had the added pleasure of listening to dishes clinking and music being blasted in their kitchen....same album over and over again. Spent over a hundred dollars for a family of five for a meal that was terrible - live and learn. Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone and definitely will never go back.

There are newer reviews for The Olde' Town Terrace

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I've been to almost every restaurant in the Collingwood and Meaford area, and this was by far the most disappointing experience I've had. To begin, my boyfriend and I stepped into the door to a ghost town... there was no one around. It took about five minutes for a staff member to come out and acknowledge that there was a couple at the door. After being seated, it took about ten minutes to see our server again. We ordered lobster and prime rib for dinner. When it came, I was horrified. The lobster hadn't been cleaned- it's insides/bowels were sitting on top of it. It was a disgusting green/brown mixture of slop. The lobster had literally been thrown into a pot and then chopped in half- one half on my plate, the other on my boyfriend's. To make matters worse, the prime rib was a disgusting cut of meat. It was about three inches thick, it took up the whole plate, and there was fat everywhere. Underneath was a measly portion of boiled potatoes, carrots, and cauliflower. The plate was covered in food; it looked like a mess and I didn't even know where to begin. It was the strangest thing.

Our waitress never came back to ask how the food was and we felt so awkward with this mess of food sitting in front of us, so we just asked for the bill and got out of there as fast as we could.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

OK, so now you know my Wife's weakness: lobster and Sandie makes makes a great lobster as well as everything else. My favorites are the "Surf and Turf" which has many possible combos and the "Meat Lovers Terrace Platter". What can I say, I'm a carnivore!

Even when it's not "Lobsterfest", the food is great and the prices reasonable. Tell them "California" says hi and Ray will let you sit at our favorite table by the fireplace.

1  Thank TonySidis
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The first visit was good; but the food took forever to arrive. We went back a second time and waited (were ignored) for about 15 minutes just to get seated and then about 10 minutes before our waiter came to to take the order. When he said that the food would be at least another 30 or so minutes we left and went to another restaurant.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

To start with, my husband and I have intended to try this restaurant for several years, (we live in Wasaga Beach), and recently heard an excellent recommendation from a friend. The day of my birthday he asked me where we should go and I suggested "the Olde Town". Perhaps our expectations were too great as the reviews online were also raving about the food. On the positive side, the Wait Person who greeted us was charming and welcomed us. It quickly became clear that she was the only Server in the restaurant. For a Friday night, in the summer and with Tall Ships arriving, this surprised me.
The Garden Salad was fresh, nicely presented and very tasty. I ordered the Prime Rib, which happens to be my favourite. My husband ordered the Fish and Chips (Halibut). I asked for the beef to be medium to rare. When it was presented, it was a slab, (certainly not as large as a previous reviewer mentions), of rare to raw beef that had been cooked on one side only. It was lying on top of two boiled potatoes. The slimy connective tissue was an added attraction! I managed to eat around the raw bits and had difficulty cutting the meat as it was quite tough, probably due to it being undercooked or inferior beef? There was no horseradish and for the cost of $27.99 I felt the addition of a Yorkshire Pudding or popover would have been nice, especially when their name spells the word "Olde" the old English way. When the Server asked how everything was, which was two thirds of the way through the meal, I mentioned the issue with the beef. She offered to cook it more however it was really too late for this as there was only a small piece left, (other than the bits I had discarded to the side of the plate). After this the restaurant was filling up and she was STILL the only Server. What Management or Owners staff their restaurant in this manner and expect Customers to be adequately looked after???? I then decided to eat at least one of my two potatoes, which I would have loved to have had a little butter for. Both potatoes were RAW. They required at least fifteen minutes more on the boil. (Gordon Ramsay would have grabbed my plate, slammed it down and yelled, RAW, IT'S RAW!!!!) Our Server, at this point, was so busy bar tending, seating Customers, taking orders, clearing plates and so on, I did not have the heart to, firstly, ask for butter, and then point out the inedible potatoes.
My husband, as mentioned earlier, had the halibut and chips, which was the "special". This is a normal menu item but because of the Tall Ships being in town, two slices of garlic Vienna style bread had been added that was covered in mozzarella and cheddar cheese. I could not and still can not figure out how this ties in with the War of 1812 or even compliments a plate of fish and chips. Just more carbohydrates. Very strange. It would have been nicer to include a salad, which he had and paid extra for. Although plentiful, the fish and chips ARE NOT as great as a previous reviewer exclaims. The chips were overdone and the fish batter mediocre. These fish and chips can not compare to the fare served in the next town from Collingwood and they definitely can not be compared to the English or Scottish fish and chips!
In closing, the Owners or a Manager should be available to this Server to pick up the slack and check on Customers' satisfaction, "working" the room as a Manager should. I believe they were "hiding" in the kitchen as someone made an appearance at the door as we were leaving. Having been in the service industry for 37 years, I find this inexcusable to allow Patrons to leave dissatisfied and to expect their one Wait Staffer to serve the entire restaurant. When a plate goes back with uneaten articles, the chef should question why. The meal was entirely unsatisfactory and he should have been available to receive our comments. This establishment seems to be a favourite of some regulars and tourists. It, unfortunately, will not be one of ours. What started off as a birthday celebration, ended as a disappointment.