“promotional offer was worth the trip!!”

Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
A TripAdvisor Member
“promotional offer was worth the trip!!”
Reviewed June 26, 2005

had heard very negative comments about the place before going, went with my guard up and not expecting any great accomodations, was upset that I forgot the sleeping bags as I had heard the accomodation you are 'thrown into' for this free weekend stay was not clean etc... expected to rough it so to speak. got there and my mouth hit the floor, was immaculate, homely and tastefully decorated. kids had a blast swimming, playing and meeting new friends at the kids club.. who I may add made it possible for my husband and I to have dinner together for the first time in how long... at no additional cost, kids didn't even want to leave when we went to pick them up. .. not a place to expect to party on down, but definately a place to relax and get away. our family of 5 are all looking forward to going back very soon.

• Stayed June 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Reviewed June 13, 2005

My husband and I are semi-retired now and being able to take our grandchildren to a nice resort in Collingwood for the weekend seemed like a terrific idea when I recieved a call from one of their promotions representatives in May. The gentleman on the phone Chris, was exceptionally helpful and after patiently calling us back the following day, set up our reservation for a weekend stay on the Victoria Day weekend. Unfortunately our youngest grandson was ill and when we phoned the resort to reschedule it was handled with great courtesy by Patty at their reservations desk. And then something happened that almost ruined our plans. We checked these reviews at Tripadvisor.

Having read these, we soldiered on, determined to show our grandsons a great weekend, and talk about being suprised when it far exceeded our expectations. The resort is lovely, clean and full of charm. The restaurant is a delight and I treated myself to some time in their wonderful day-spa. Our grandsons have not stopped talking about it since we returned. The presentation was just short of 2 hours, slightly longer than the promised 90 minutes, but neither my husband or I minded as once we'd seen the resort, we were very interested in what other holiday options they had to offer. We did not purchase a membership and were not "pushed" as others here have said they were, and because of that, we are making plans to head back there in a few weeks and buy one.

For those of you planning a holiday, you will look far and wide before finding something as reasonable and enjoyable as the weekend we spent there. I have taken my grandchildren to the zoo and spent more money, and for far less entertainment and activities I might add. So for those of you reading some of these awful reviews, I can only offer the same expaination that we were given after we'd asked when we were at the resort. Out of over 50,000 guests that have stayed at the resort, there have only been around 20 bad reviews. That should tell you more than anything else would.

• Stayed June 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 2, 2005

I was very interested in your promotional tour package. For a full refund of three days and two nights we had to take a 90 minute tour of the resort. I have three girls 5 and under and another on the way, therefore we cannot afford trips, hence the interest in this one. On our fisrt phone call about the package the gentleman took my credit card number even though I told him I didn't want to pay yet because I wasn't sure about my husband's availability to take time off work. As it turned out when they called back we couldn't book a time slot for the promotion, down the tubes went a little dream vacation. Even worse, they billed my credit card. The gentleman did not make this clear at all in our conversations therefore it is a scam. I am not impressed in the one bit, I'm very very disappointed not to mention broke. Please travellers beware of these promotional phone calls. I have to tell you's all, Bewarned.
Dearly disappointed, loving mother and honest...

Sandra Dumouchel

• Stayed May 2005
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Collingwood hotels

Reviewed May 23, 2005

We enjoyed our stay at the georgian manor. The rooms were nothing special, but clean and it was free, so I'm not complaining. However, if we had to pay for this room, it would have been a different story. The walls are paper thin and it's like sleeping in a hostel, we could hear everything that was happening inside and outside. The food was good. The mini golf was excellent, and it was what impressed us the most.
The 90 minute 'tour' was poor. We had a very rude and brash woman giving us the tour, which made many people just walk away, those of us that stayed, stayed out of curioustiy. not because of her sales pitch. We had to walk up 4 flights of stairs to reach the rooms. And that was the extent of the tour, they showed us two rooms. Our tour was booked for 1pm on Sunday, and we got out of there by 4pm. After the tour we were sent to another larger room to talk to another sales representive. The sales person would not take no for an answer. We were not ready to hand them 26,000$ or 17,000$ after the deals within 7 days, for a 50 year membership. It all sounded very good, but too much pressure, no time to think about such a big investment. If it is such a great deal, give people the pitch, send them home with the information to think about it and let them decide with a clear mind, not with someone looking at you every second. We did not like the approach. High Pressure Sales! On a more positive note, the staff were polite and helpful.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 24, 2005

The only thing that was good was the food although I left hungry. A standard room of poor standard. Should have said below standard and then I would not have gone. Hot tub didn't even work the first of two nights.
The 90 minute sales pitch did not impress me and once you say not interested, it seemed that I hurt someones feelings.
They asked me to look at their new resort with no strings.
Very disappointed in the front desk who never smiled and the attempted sales pitch which was terrible.
I see I am not alone. Please don't ever call me again.

• Stayed April 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 13, 2005

I was attrending the CNE last year with a friend of mine. I was presented with a potentially winning scarch card by a young woman. I was pleasently surprised to find that I had won a stay at Georgian Manor in Collingwood as per the offer mentioned by other persons.

When I called to book a stay, I mentioned that I was now single. Everything changed and I was informed by the young woman that this offer was valid for couples only and that a refund for my $49.95 would be sent by mail before December 2004.

Well I am still waiting.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Midwestern, Ontario
Reviewed March 11, 2005

My husband and I have often stayed at Georgian Manor and have yet to find fault with the resort in any way. The food has always been above expectations and our suite has never left us disappointed. The staff has always been friendly and I can only imagine that as the Resort grows it will acheive 5 star status. I would also like to say.....If people go on the promotional stay (which we did originally) ENJOY yourself...keep an open mind....and remember that this is a great way to vacation with family....ask questions.....and see for yourself what the resort can offer...Don't always listen to the whiners and complainers....My advice....GO, ENJOY and make up your OWN mind.

• Stayed September 2004
16 Thank Marcia V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
#2 of 11 in Collingwood
Cranberry Resort
Cranberry Resort
#4 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!