Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Maple, Canada
“Scam”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We've bought a deal at DealFind for this resort and did not book this for some time. Then one year expiration date was approaching so we've called and booked one night on weekend (instead of two non-weekend night we were entitled). So few days before the weekend we were supposed to go there kids got sick and my wife had to cancel (4 days in advance). When she got off the phone with them she was so upset. Besides $90 that we've wasted on this deal, they wanted to charge a $40 cancellation fee!!!! When I called them to ask what's going on and why do they have to charge $40 besides $90 that they've already charged without providing any service, they've answered that it's stated in the paper we've got from DealFind that we'll be charged that fee. When I told that DealFind is scam, I was told that it's my problem I've got scammed and I shouldn't have dealt with them! This kind of attitude really got me upset. I'm so glad we've cancelled and did not go there and I do not even care about $90 we've lost on this scam deal. Do not get fooled by promos and insanely cheap deals - do mot make mistake we did.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Dmitry S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I recently purchased the $79 package including a 2 night stay at the resort, a manicure and pedicure and a $40 food credit from Georgian Manor Resort and needless to say my husband Claude was none too thrilled about having to attend the 90 minute timeshare presentation. We just got back from our 2 night stay there and had a lovely time. I must say that everyone at the resort including the reservations staff were extremely pleasant and offered excellent customer service. When making our reservations I requested a king room on the lower level explaining that I would need these because of my fibromyalgia and they said they would do their best to comply with my request. From reading some of the previous comments I got the impression that the complaints on the beds were mainly on queens and also noticed someone complain about walking up the stairs with their luggage.
We arrived Thursday around noon and were immediately given keys to our ground floor king room with a patio facing the pool even though check time was at 4PM. The room was quite pleasant, very clean and lots of upgrades but face it – it was not a deluxe timeshare suite but in line with our expectations. I arrived early for my 4PM spa appointment and they were very accommodating. From reading some of the comments from other guests I had low expectations but was very pleased with my manicure/pedicure and the friendly service. We had dinner in their restaurant that evening and explained to the waitress that I was gluten free and dairy free which wasn’t a problem at all. Claude ordered a steak dinner which was cooked to perfection and I had the salmon with coconut lime rice and veggies – yummy and so well priced. We headed to Blue Mountain Resort for the evening and had fun browsing the shops and listening to live entertainment in the square followed by a free outdoor movie - Men in Black 3 – not my favourite so we left early.
The next morning we had the a la carte breakfast at the restaurant (buffets only on weekends) and again experienced friendly staff and great food. I ordered 2 poached eggs and brought my own gluten free bread to toast and they replaced the hash browns with deep fried potatoes which were gluten and dairy free – beautifully plated with fruit for $5. Claude had 3 sausage links with his for $2 extra. After breakfast we headed out to Wasaga Beach and spent the day walking along the beach boardwalk and admiring the longest freshwater beach in the world and enjoyed a lovely dinner and evening with my cousin who owns an amazing B&B across the road from the beach.
The Georgian Manor Resort has tons of activities for the kids and 3 pools for them to splash in. Most guests at the resort had children and they seemed to be enjoying themselves – sometimes a little too late at night. Unfortunately the only facility I was interested in was the hot tub but it was closed down for renovation. We never got around to using the gym, golf putting green and tennis courts – we were more into relaxing mode.
We arrived in the lobby at 9AM Saturday for our presentation and Mikey took us into the room where we sipped coffee while he explained the RCI points system. He was amazing and funny and we had a great time chatting with him as he continued to show us the timeshare suite on site which was quite impressive. Being a retired Air Canada employee, I have access to a lot of the deals they are offering with their membership. He totally understood our situation and didn’t push and when the 2nd salesperson came along she spent a few minutes trying to persuade us but promptly passed us on to the closer who after a final attempt at offering a mini membership asked our impression of the salespersons and thanked us for our time. Not at all painful! On our way back to Toronto we decided to stop in Barrie and have lunch by the water. We discovered a lovely authentic Thai restaurant called Chaopaya on Dunlop Street … www.Chaopaya.ca. We enjoyed an amazing lunch of Pad Thai and curried pineapple shrimp on the patio overlooking Lake Simcoe while we watched the dragon boat races. A wonderful end to a lovely mini get away!

Room Tip: try and get a ground floor room with king bed - I imagine the queen rooms are used a lot with kids...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank E8399KVlindah
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed in mid August to take advantage of a promotion and stay in a"newly renovated" room. Don't be fooled. The whole resort is in need of a renovation ...way overdue.
There was no elevator so we had to take our luggage up in stages. The room had some renovations but the furniture was at least 20 years old (including the mattresses)
The only saving grace was the restaurant and spa. Restaurant decor was also outdated but the food was great! Nice little spa and the service was great.

Room Tip: Only stay if you are a RCI member and stay in your condo
3 Thank TravelBugs2014

Travelers are raving about these Collingwood hotels

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very disappointed. First of all everything they offered as promo or package ended up being cancelled for one reason or another. For example, our SPA appointment was cancelled without any alternative option or perk 2 hours before scheduled appointment. One of the worst part is they do not have elevator. With two kids, suit case and other stuff we always had to do multiple trips carrying car seat etc. Overall i did not find it anything close to even meeting standards and would not recommend anyone.

2 Thank Atif L
Buckhorn, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Georgian Manor this last Christmas. She didn't tell me at the time, but we were billed $9 for 2 local calls. When she asked for the details on checkout they produced a blank sheet and therefore removed the charges from the bill at checkout. Shortly after returning home a $9 charge appeared on our credit card. After checking both Telus and Bell local and long distance maps, my wife requested a refund. Numerous calls including one to the manager and all contacts promising followup action, no refund was made. All requests were received but ignored. Despite long distance instructions on the telephone, all local calls appear to be invalidly charged as long distance and the charges are high. Since they charge your credit card after you leave and then they ignore complaints, we will not be staying there again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Petermac-red
Markham, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We went to Georgian Manor this summer to check out their "newly renovated resort" using their promo offer. We figured, why not, let's see what they have to offer. It was okay. The pool was murky, didn't want to step into it. The food was good (except for their salty fries) but expensive. We had a nice mini vacation exploring Collingwood. The room was adequate. When I received my Credit Card statement this month, I noticed some highly suspicious payments charged on my credit card right after my transaction with Georgian Manor. Very strange. Over $450 was charged onto my credit card from a Paypal Account. I rarely use my credit card, and I find it very strange that it happened right after visiting Georgian Manor in Collingwood. I advise the management should investigate any potential fradulent activities happening at this resort. Be careful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank mariangelina13
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I don't know what some of the really negative reviews were about. We had the deal for 2 nights in a room with 2 double beds. The mattresses seemed ok, but I did wake up with a sore back both mornings. It was clean, people were helpful, restaurant food was quite good. There were only 2 washcloths and 2 mugs, which was odd for 4. But at least there was a coffee maker, microwave and mini fridge. The internet was fine. We found there's not tons to do here at this resort, so we drove over to Blue Mountain village which is minutes away.
The time share presentation lasted 3 hours. The first woman was very good, and the suite she showed us was beautiful. The whole concept is a pretty good idea, just not for us, financially, at this time. Near the end, when the third person came, I was getting a bit eager to leave to take our kids to lunch, since 3 hours is longer than we planned to spend.
Overall, this was a reasonable way to spend a couple of days away from home.

Room Tip: Our room faced the pool and had a little patio. I prefer this to facing the parking lot.
1 Thank Gabriella A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
#4 of 11 in Collingwood
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!