“Not Pleased At All”

Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have never written a review however felt like this one definitely needed to be written. I have stayed in many, many hotels and this one was by far, the worst ever. My husband and I are very easy going and when we travel, stay in average hotels so this isn't being rated on a "Hilton" type expectancy. To begin, the resort is definitely in need of a makeover-to name just a FEW: chipped tiles in the lobby, pool tiles falling off, extremely OUTDATED decor, dirty looking carpets in the room and worn out furniture. Upon arrival to our room, when I pulled back the duvet cover on one of our beds ( as I always do), I noticed there was a RED stain ( definitely large enough to not go unnoticed). This was brought to the attention of the staff and on a positive note, the duvet cover was changed immediately. Our room was located on the main floor right next to the housekeeping
Office-all I could hear were doors slamming throughout the early evening and early morning-quite annoying to say the least. More annoying was the CONSTANT creaking ceiling every couple of minutes especially during the night-read other comments where this was also noted. The heating system was just crazy in the room-also read other comments about this. It was NEVER comfortable-either too hot or too cold. Wi-Fi was HORRIBLE in our room, could barely get a signal and when I did, would lose it right away so I just gave up. My husband and I attended the supposed 90 minute time share presentation which turned into 3 hrs!! Very annoyed since we had two children who were left at the "club-house", the youngest, 18 months old-kids needed to eat and we had a ski lesson to get to for our 4 1/2 yr old-we mentioned this during our meeting but it still dragged on-very dishonest sales people-three different price offers from three different reps-odd how a cheaper price is only offered when you decline the first and so on....needless to say we weren't suckered in. The club house/daycare, you felt like you were walking into a clubhouse from the 60's-very musty, dirty toys, disgusting dirty floor vent right in the center of the toy room where the kids play and very HOT in there-they actually had a portable a/c unit running the second day. On a good note, "Stephanie" was just fantastic with the kids. The spa was probably the best experience for me-very friendly staff and very modern! Breakfast was tasty but the waitress started off on the wrong foot from the moment my husband asked for a more secluded table ( guess he was concerned about the kids being a little loud) her comment when he asked if she had a table for four ( and I am not joking here), "if you tell me your going to be rowdy, then no I don't have one"....I couldn't believe it!! Definitely would NOT step back in that hotel again-stay at the "Cranberry"heard great things about it!

7  Thank lisa c

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We first stayed at the Georgian Manor 6 weeks ago and there was a fire alarm in the building at 2am. We stayed again this weekend and there were 4 fire alarms in one day, and then another at midnight the following night. All were false alarms. We have 2 young children so having to wake them up to exit the building for a false alarm, not just once but SEVERAL times over a span of a few nights is unacceptable.
When we asked about it at the front desk we were told that we should be thankful that at least the alarm is working. Which I don't feel confident that it even is working if it has gone off that many times for a false alarm. We were then told by cleaning staff not to use the toaster or microwave because it would (you guessed it) set off the building's fire alarm.

It is bad enough that there is a potential safety issue, worse that all of our nights staying there we had to get ourselves and kids up in the middle of the night, but worst of all was the front desk staff's (Ashley) reaction to it - not just to ourselves but to other guests who were asking about it. I will not risk staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Stephanie W
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Myself and 7 other girls stayed here the weekend of Feb. 1-3, 2013. My friend has a time share with this company, and booked 2 rooms for us. Because of her already owning the time share, we did receive two excellent suites. I would say each suite was 1000 square feet, the bedrooms were quite large, there were two walk-out balconies, both bathrooms had jacuzzi tubs, but the master bathroom's jacuzzi was much nicer. I also was impressed with the kitchen. They included all dishes, china, cutlery, glasses, but even little things like wine bottle opener, cookie trays, mixing bowls, whisks, pots, pans, wooden spoons, etc. the kitchen was absolutely complete! I also loved how they gave you garbage bags, dish soap, washing machine soap, dish cloths, tea towels, and even placemats.

I did eat 1 dinner at the onsite restaurant, and the food was fantastic, service was great, and the price was average of what I would expect.

Front desk was always helpful and pleasant when I needed them.

I will say, however that this place needs a serious makeover. I felt like i stepped back into 1992. The furniture, fixtures, decor are very early 90s feel (both in the rooms, around the hotel, and even the restaurant). Even the t.v.'s in our rooms were those clunky-style 20-30" t.v.'s.

Also, you do need a car to get anywhere. A few of my friends were thinking about walking to blue mountain, but it's quite a distance away.

The only reason I didn't give this review a "very good" was because I'm sure that if the 8 of us booked a similar package not having the time share already, we probably wouldn't have got the nice rooms that we did, plus the price that we did. To have to pay full price for the out-dated room would have been a bit annoying.
Also, i didn't like that on a Saturday night, the restaurant closes at 8:30 p.m. That seemed a bit too early.

Room Tip: We were lucky to be on the 4th floor, which is the highest floor.
3  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Bought a promotional coupon, and in attempting to schedule this, was repeatedly presented with roadblocks -- scheduling, rescheduling fees, lack of availability, and other hindrances. At some point, the person on the reservation line even said "hey.. you are getting over $700 worth of accommodation, and services.... you can't be picky!".... I couldn't believe it...

Because of the scheduling difficulties, my husband couldn't make it... the hotel refused to book a stay for myself and a friend because it was a "time-share promotion" and I had to attend with my spouse or significant other. In other words, I couldn't use the coupon for which I had paid.

I asked to speak to a manager, who called me back. She was patronizing, rude, and disrespectful. There was no way that this hotel was going to accommodate us.

Overall, I was severely disappointed with the service and attitude I received from the staff and manager (and I spoke to the staff several times, so it wasn't just one episode).... and I haven't even been to the hotel... I was made to feel that I should feel "grateful" that I had bought a special, discounted coupon, and was receiving the accommodation and services at this hotel.

In the end, I decided that this would not be a place I would like to visit, nor buy a timeshare in.... if service is this difficult and inflexible even while scheduling, I can only imagine what it would be like once there.. Clearly, this is not the place for me, or my family/friends.. I will look for other, more customer-friendly places for my business.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Shelley V
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Rooms are very outdated need an update in bedding and furniture.
Could hear people through walls in bedroom next door to us.
Not close to anything unless you plan on driving everywhere or $15 plus taxis.
No housekeeping service on our stay during the weekend and property was pretty poorly maintained.
Only good thing was the check-in process was smooth and girls at desk were friendly.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Overall, this was a good resort, but the rooms creak during cold spells in the winter. Room 237 located right on the upper corner of the building was so loud, that it kept my wife and I awake all night (and I had ear plugs in). We moved to room 118 the second night but it too creaked, just not as bad. Beds are very comfortable and the rooms were clean and have been modernized. The Spa located at the resort was amazing. As was breakfast at the restaurant. Highly recommend this place to anyone. We plan on going back.

Room Tip: During cold weather, book a room on the pool side of the building.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunseekersforever
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here a few times. I quite enjoy it here. On this mini vacation, I initialy found the girl at reception to be a little cold, non engaged, and could care less type of attitude. But, by the end of our conversation she perked up and was very helpful.
It is pos. to get a free romm here for 2 nights, if you attend a 90 minute sales conference. But, be prepared for a high pressure sale. With that you get a few other perks like dinner for 2 pay for one. This is how I came to lear of the Georgian maner.

The rooms are very nice, in an average sort of way, and clean. They are equipped with a fridge, and all the other usuals.

I was invited back on a sales promotion, but didn,t read the details well, and when my other half couldn,t attend, they wouldn,t allow me to either. So they were good enough to give me a room for the night at $80, which is the price you would be charged if you failed to attend. Otherwise the room would have been way out of my price range, which was $189/night I think or close.

I like Collingwood in general, and find the location an easy drive to everything including ski hills, Le Scandinave Spa, and the town.

Theres lots of parking, and its free of course. The property itself is very nice and very well maintain.

Over all I have no reason not to recommend Georgian Manor, but if your paying full price, well, its beyond my budget.

Room Tip: I have had rooms in various sections of the hotel. Overall I have never heard noise coming from oth...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Blue Mountain Inn
#5 of 11 in Collingwood
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!