“Mini Vacation”

Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here a few times. I quite enjoy it here. On this mini vacation, I initialy found the girl at reception to be a little cold, non engaged, and could care less type of attitude. But, by the end of our conversation she perked up and was very helpful.
It is pos. to get a free romm here for 2 nights, if you attend a 90 minute sales conference. But, be prepared for a high pressure sale. With that you get a few other perks like dinner for 2 pay for one. This is how I came to lear of the Georgian maner.

The rooms are very nice, in an average sort of way, and clean. They are equipped with a fridge, and all the other usuals.

I was invited back on a sales promotion, but didn,t read the details well, and when my other half couldn,t attend, they wouldn,t allow me to either. So they were good enough to give me a room for the night at $80, which is the price you would be charged if you failed to attend. Otherwise the room would have been way out of my price range, which was $189/night I think or close.

I like Collingwood in general, and find the location an easy drive to everything including ski hills, Le Scandinave Spa, and the town.

Theres lots of parking, and its free of course. The property itself is very nice and very well maintain.

Over all I have no reason not to recommend Georgian Manor, but if your paying full price, well, its beyond my budget.

Room Tip: I have had rooms in various sections of the hotel. Overall I have never heard noise coming from oth...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I would give this a 4 dot rating, cause I'm really not that picky, but when I started to think about it, I dropped it down.
Positives:
- Maintenance was sent when heating was down - arrived immediately after a call to the front desk, and he was very friendly and helpful
- Pool, sauna, and hot tub were a plus. It was clean, and we enjoyed the novelty of a swim and a soak
- Easy to find, and near where we needed to be!
- 15% off coupon for meals in the hotel restaurant (we weren't able to take advantage of this)

Could Work On:
- Lobby is dated (not a biggie, but noted it from other reviews when we were there)
- "The entertainment is great!" - ya, maybe not so much. More amusing?
- Heating was broken and was pumping out cold air when we arrived. Maintenance was sent up immediately, and he fixed the problem. That said, it recurred and cold air made its way back out. We learned to turn off the heating when it started to cool off, and turn it back on again later. We left the heating off when we left the room, thinking that it was better to heat a cool room, rather than return to cold air pumping into it
- Woman at front desk was "meh" - very little enthusiasm. Perhaps she was having a bad day - it happens. Not a biggie for us, but noticed how awkward it was when we arrived to have so little positive communication from our first point of contact.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MelanieMelonbee
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Like several reviews I have read, I also bought the Dealfind special promotion and I agree that booking was a hassle. We went as 2 couples so trying to co-ordinate everything got frustrating. We had booked for the last weekend in January and paid the additional $$ to add a second night. We were finally able to book at the resort, clear our schedules, and get 4 people's spa treatments booked. About 2 weeks after booking we got a call from the resort that due to overbooking, they would be changing our weekend. (We only had 2 other weekends to choose from.) Again, cleared our schedules and rescheduled spa treatments.
When we arrived on the Friday afternoon, they had one room ready for check-in, but said the second wasn't booked in the system. After a stressful 15 minutes, we were able to get into both rooms. The staff were friendly through-out the mix up and were able to get us two rooms fairly close together.
I had seen some pictures of rooms (on this site) prior to arrival and was pleasantly surprised when we got to our rooms. They were much more modern than I'd expected and the beds were comfortable. The coffee maker and DVD player were nice extras too. The heat was difficult to control - the low setting was still much too hot and it was too cold to just leave it off.
On our first night we went to the restaurant for dinner - we ordered wine and their specialty 'Flying monkey' beer. The drinks, appertizers, and food were all very good.
We asked if we would be able to go on our tour on Sunday morning but were told that was not an option, so we did our tour on Saturday morning. As much as it was time consuming (2 hrs) and inconvenient, the lady was friendly and understood that it was not good timing financially for both couples. I didn't feel pressured to buy.
When we arrived at the spa for our treatments, we were told that our timeslots had been moved due to ill staff. I expressed frustration that we would have gone skiing had we've known our appointments had been moved and asked why no one had called to tell us. They apologized but offered no reason as to why we had not been contacted.
When we went back at the time they told us to, the services were good and what I expected - nothing more, nothing less.
So in a nutshell
- the booking, being rescheduled (at both the reosrt and spa), and the tour were hassles
- the rooms and bathrooms were much nicer than I expected
- the food was great

I would consider going back depending on the price and I would know to be prepared for a terrible booking experience with multiple reschedulings.

Room Tip: Make sure to not be too close to the pool. Even on the second floor, we could hear kids at the pool
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie F
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Georgian Manor Resort a few years back, expecting a relaxing weekend. Like many guests at the hotel, we agreed to attend the 90 minute presentation and although the sales staff were nice enough the pressure was felt and it was a stressful day. Although we paid a minimal amount for our stay, we were somewhat disappointed with the accommodations and basically decided not to return. Today I received a telephone call reminding me of our previous stay and advising that millions in renovations had been completed and what previously was a 2 or 3 star hotel was now a 5 star resort and how as a promotion the resort wanted to make it up to us for our previous disappointing stay by offering us 3 days, 2 nights accommodation in a freshly renovated suite. At this point I asked outright if we would be required to attend a presentation and the reply was no - the only obligation is for us to attend a free personalized tour of the resort. I was told that we would need to pay $79.95 as a security deposit and could either receive it back upon arrival at the resort or receive a room credit for over $100.00 in perks at the resort for our stay. I was also told that someone else would call me back to confirm all of the information. I received a call back from another gentleman at which point I was told that yes, we were required to attend a presentation and we would be provided with a standard room. I questioned both of these and basically was made to feel like I had made a mistake in hearing about the presentation, where in fact I had clarified twice previously. I was cut off the phone three times during this call and had to call back. I called the person I had originally spoke with and he advised that he had made a mistake telling me we would be staying in a suite as the promotion only covered a standard room.
I really don't know at this point whether we should come to your resort or not. My husband and I travel extensively and have stayed in some lovely accommodations around the world. I don't want a repeat of our previous stay and was willing to try once more, however I really believed that you wanted to impress us and gain back trust. How do you expect to change our minds this time around?

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Patricia L
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We unfortunately (yes....really unfortunately) bought the dealfind voucher for this below grade resort where the staff does not not even what customer service means. All of them, honestly all of them are very very rude...specially, I think, they are told to behave this way with people who want to use this voucher. Starting from the time of booking, we did not get any help. Finally when we were able to get a room, the room we were given was on the farthest end of the whole resort even though we requested for it near the centre as we were travelling with two young kids. Nobody seemed to care or atleast show that they cared. Food is horrible, cold most of the time. And the most funniest thing was even though we ordered as a family they brought two orders when everybody was done eating and the lame excuse they gave was they had to make it from scratch. Waiters and specially the manager were the most rudest person I have ever seen with lots and lots of attitude. Spa services were from hell and I can tell for sure that the therapist that they have are totally inexperienced and unwelcoming. I was expecting a relaxing get away but in the end what we got was sub-par, aggravating, and most third-class rated service you would ever get. I have seen a lot better services at a 2 star or no star road side motels..... All of you who are reading this, please do yourself a huge favour and stay away from this resort.....and you will be very glad that you did,even if you have bought the voucher please dont put yourself and your family in a akward situation and if you are thinking of booking this resort for a relaxing and nice get away, please stay away...If you read the reviews on this site, it will tell you the whole story....I am sure the management is aware of this and still they dont want to do anything about it. OMG....I really feel for the people who were sucked into buying timeshare for this property.....All I can say is All the best..

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank bytheway24
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Hello,
My daughter, granddaughter and I went to the Georgian Manor Resort as a get away since we had not seen each other since Easter. When we arrived the people seemed nice enough who worked at the hotel, however, when it came to our spa appointment everything spiralled downward. Our voucher we purchased included two 30 minute messages and one mani pedi. When I made the appointment over the phone with the spa, we booked my daughter in first for 4pm and then me in for 4.30 for the massages. I explained we could not do the massages at the same time because someone had to watch my 16 month old granddaughter. At the same time of making this appointment i told the spa we will be purchasing a second mani pedi and that the mani pedi's were to be given at the same time. They said it wouldn't be a problem.

On the day of, my daughter went down at 10 to 4 for her massage. Instead of receiving a lovely 30 minute massage she received a 20 minute massage, that half way through the woman throw a scorching hot towel on her back with out explaining she was going to do so first.

When she came out she was instructed to go to the pedicure chairs so they could get started on it. We specifically told them we didn't want to have the mani pedi separately over the phone and on the day prior to starting. The spa people became rude, insulting and pushy. They told us I had to have my massage before the mani pedi and that i couldnt do it after, they said they could not wait for me to finish my massage to start the mani pedi together because they couldnt "just keep the spa open later for just us, because they have small children at home too" even though in the resort information guide it states the spa is open till 8pm and not 5 like they were telling us.
We then suggested we swap the service of one of the massages for the mani pedi, since they were in fact the same price, at first they agreed but then proceeded to still charge us $50 for the added mani pedi but not give me a massage.

They had a Keurig out for people to help themselves to with a carasel of coffees to choose from, there were no coffee cups or cream available so my daughter had to ask for a coffee cup so she could make a coffee. When she asked for some cream, the 'assistant manager' proceeded to pick up her cup to take it into the back room. My daughter asked her to not take her coffee away and to please bring the cream out front so she could pour it herself. Immediately the manager started yelling "how dare she suggest something so horrible", "this is not that kind of place to do something so disgusting!", "how dare you suggest i would defile your cofffee in some way!" - clearly it was already on her mind.

My Daughter and I are both Australian, the final words that lead us to leave were them telling us that clearing we don't understand the English language because in Canada swap and substitute mean two completely different things.

By the end of the argument about our services we were in tilted to, my daughter and i were so upset by the way they were talking and treating us we no longer trusted them to provide a relaxing service, let alone were accepting of them touching us and left. We did not receive any manicures or pedicures and only one TWENTY minute massage instead of the instructed 30 minutes.

After everything with the spa, we went to front desk to explain what had happened, the lady called her manager and they gave us a $25 dinner voucher to try and make up for the disgusting treatment we had received.

The restaurant staff were welcoming and helpful. They had delightful senses of humour and were very professional in there mannerisms. All of our meals were very delicious and the morning buffet was a fun experience watching them make your eggs and waffles in front of you. The lamb shanks were to die for.

Even though we feel that we were treated well by the hotel staff the treatment by the spa completely destroyed our what should have been relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank slowloh
Duane97, Manager at Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for your review. Our goal at Chill Spa is to provide high-quality professional service and we endeavor to resolve misunderstandings in a professional manner. In this particular case, we did everything possible to work with you, but we also understand not everyone is open to resolution or the options we are able to provide. I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to the resort guest who was at the spa at this same time and attempted to intervene in behalf of the staff in order to assist in resolving an unfortunate situation. Although her attempt was unsuccessful, she took the initiative to come forward the next day with an objective eyewitness account in defense of the staff here at Chill Spa. I appreciate her initiative and am reassured of the professionalism of the staff at Chill Spa.
Manager
Chill Spa

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I spent 2 nights at this resort and have mixed feelings for a few reasons, including the fact that we bought through a voucher deal and that my partner was incredibly ill while we were there (neither of which are the fault of the resort).

My experience with booking the reservation was similar to others - very disorganized, always getting transferred and not getting replies to my calls or emails (I like to get confirmation in writing, especially when purchased through a voucher).

Check in was smooth even though we arrived an hour early. We received a King Suite as requested and the bed was amazingly comfortable. We also had a mini-fridge, microwave, and DVD player which all came in handy. We were quite happy with the room, although the heating was a little crude (hard to find a nice medium).

By far our biggest issue (besides my partner having to go to the hospital twice) was the time-share people. We were told that the ONLY time to do the mandatory 90 minute time share meeting was at 9:30am on our only full day there. We would have much preferred to do it on the following day before we checked out, but were told this wasn't possible. Unfortunately, my partner was too sick to attend, so when I tried to go myself, I was told that I couldn't do it alone, and that if he was feeling better, we could attend the next day (despite being told initially that there wasn't one the following day)! Very frustrating. In the end, he still wasn't feeling great so they told us not to worry about it and were very empathetic - although the fact that we're a young couple who are clearly not the target audience may have influenced their lack of pressure.

We ordered in from the restaurant one night and unfortunately waited an hour before finally going down to see what happened (they were supposed to call when it was ready). We were told that there had been a computer error and it would be ready in a few minutes. Computer errors are understandable, but the lack of communication was frustrating. The staff was very apologetic, and when we got our food, it was very good. Prices were reasonable considering it was the only source of food on the resort.

We didn't go in the pool or hot tub. I had some spa services included in the package and thoroughly enjoyed them. We also spent a bit of time in the arcade and enjoyed that, too (there's one just past the spa that's better than the one off the pool).

The grounds looked lovely and I imagine it's a nice place to visit in the summer. It is very close to town and easy to find. Overall, I was pleased and thought it was well worth the deal we got. But I find the biggest factor when travelling to a new place is your attitude - commit to having a good time and you will!

Room Tip: 236 and 237 at the end of the hall are very quiet - there seemed to be a lot of hallway traffic whic...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jess_a828
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
#5 of 11 in Collingwood
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!