“A decent hotel experience.”

Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I purchased a DealFind voucher for the Georgian Manor Resort for $89: it included two nights stay in a renovated room,two mani-pedis, two 30 minute relaxation massages, a facial and a credit to dinner or on-site mini putt. Catch was, we had to attend a 90 minute sales pitch. I was apprehensive about what to expect, since the reviews are not exactly in their favour, but we were pleasantly surprised.
Check in was quick and easy, and they do not take a deposit and hold it for months, as some have said. Rather, they put a hold of $100 on your card, and the services you partake in during your stay are billed to your room, and the discounts are applied then. If you choose not to redeem your extra services like the spa or dinner, you get the $100 back at checkout, minus tax. Keep in mind, tax on the DealFind voucher (about $11) and gratuities are not included, so all the spa treatments cost us $40 (deducted from the $100 "hold"), and for two of us, dinner cost around $30 after the $25 discount, also conveniently charged to the room and deducted from the "hold". We also had three drinks at the bar, and all that pretty much covered the whole $100 hold. We felt this was still money well spent; for all that we received, we had still spent under $200 for two nights/three days.
The spa is newly renovated and staff are friendly. Book your spa appointments well in advance to make sure they have appointments available during your stay! Try to find out beforehand when your tour will be so that you don't double book.
The room was average, with an updated bathroom and fairly new decor. Included a microwave and mini-fridge (which contained someone's old take out food - whoops!), a television which emitted some serious electronic noise no matter what channel it was on, and a small balcony overlooking the pool.
We opted for the dinner credit instead of mini putt (though the course looked pretty nice and we saw lots of people out playing). The restaurant is pretty outdated but cozy, food was about on par with what you'd get at a wedding reception; pretty generic but not bad overall. Have uploaded pictures of the room and food.
The 90 minute sales pitch was scheduled for 9am the day after we arrived. Kind of a pain to drag yourself outta bed early on vacation and attend something like that. They provide coffee, tea and juice before they sit you down and give you the pitch. It ran a bit long, but we were chatting with the guy throughout. If you're not interested, grin and bear it, and politely decline when it comes time to buy. It does seem like a good deal, if you have the money to travel, it definitely would have its' perks. Just remember, it's their job to try to sell it to you, so there's no need to be rude. They are very friendly, eager to please and we didn't feel pressured or obligated to buy anything we weren't ready for. We may even consider it in the future.
Overall, the amenities were nice, the staff were friendly, spa was relaxing... It was a nice trip. Don't expect the Shangri-La, but we would do it again for the price we paid. Definitely not worth their advertised "$220" per night for those without DealFind vouchers or Groupons, but judging on how full the sales pitch room was, and how small the hotel is, I don't think there were many (if any) full-price paying customers anyhow.
It seems like they're attempting to update the whole place slowly but surely, so I would imagine it can only get better.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank doomaerdna
Duanegmr, Guest Relations Manager at Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

On behalf of our resort, I would like to thank you for your honest, and candid review. Also, thanks for posting photos for other people to enjoy. It is a pleasure to hear from our happy and satisfied guests, and we always try our very best to ensure all our valued guests and members enjoy their holiday time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre

Reviewed September 11, 2012

After reading some of the reviews to tell you the truth I wanted to cancel my trip: with RCI we were allocated a room number so we figured that we were going to be on the 3rd floor, we handed up on the first floor close to the office and supply locker where all the staff get in and out real early in the morning for their supplies,reason being that they were over booked because of Labor Weekend, however they offer for us to come back on Monday morning to see what they could do. We didn't as we were already unpacked, however we should have. Room 122 is okay for people like us that don't sleep in, the slamming of the doors from the locker might bother you. Room clean and practical, it's close to the pool and the parking lot. The pool was clean , the tennis court was great and the golf was awesome ! We visited a 3rd floor room before our departure and we would definitely come back for that !

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank aline g

Thank you for your review, we always ike to hear the good, and even the not so good from our valued guests. Please contact me in advance of your next trip or anyone in our reservations department so we can make sure you get a chance to stay in our beautiful suites on your next holiday here.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

They are not a resort by themselves...they work through this time share company called Resort Holiday Group which they say is their marketing team but in fact is a different company altogether...
Coming to my experience
I got a voucher to stay with them for 2 days...for which I had to call Resort Holiday Group get a reservation done...
Georgian Manor Resort doesn't entertain you directly.

The so called "marketing company" will scrutinize you first based on your age, your family income, your occupation etc etc...

Once you fit in their requirements, they'll ask for your credit card number to hold the booking...
Remember I had already paid for the stay by paying for the voucher? Well, they said the voucher is all I have to pay, the credit card number is required again so that if I don't attend a 90 minute tour of the property which is a mandatory requirement, they'll charge me the actual price (almost $800)...Ridiculous!!!

Well to say the least, its a marketing scam they want you to be a part of for which they are giving you a stay in their resort...
Fortunately or unfortunately, the lady whom I talked to for the booking never send me the email confirming my booking...and I was never able to reach them on the phone after that!
I just cancelled the trip and wasted my long weekend!

Am still waiting to hear from them, if they reply back with an apology, well and good, I'll update their tales of attitude otherwise this review is a clear representation of their non-professionalism!
I'll re-iterate...BEWARE!

Update: I didn't get to hear back from them since then, to say that their was a mistake on their part and they are sorry was something any company would do who cares about their customers and treats them like people rather than money minting objects! Sad :(

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank 75,221,819
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed at the Georgian Manor for 2 nights starting on August 23rd because we saw a deal online for a 2 night stay for $99 for both nights, plus a $40 dinner voucher. The catch was that we had to listen to a 90 minute timeshare presentation. The website pictures made the resort look very luxurious so we thought why not!!! I have learned my lesson...if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is!!! Whoever took the website pictures should be given some sort of artistic award because the angles they used made the resort look completely different than what the rooms and grounds are truly like. The 1st room we were given smelled of a combination of moth balls and urine. The smell coming from the bathroom was disgusting!!! The beds were on a slant. You could actually feel the mattress coils when you sat down on the beds. We were there with our two young children and we didn't want them exposed to whatever nastiness was in that room, so we promptly called the front desk and asked to be moved. The second room was slightly better and by that, I mean the room didn't smell like moth balls. The beds were also in better shape than the first room but were still very uncomfortable. We decided since we had travelled all this way we would make the best of the situation and were only in the room to sleep because that was all we could tolerate. When we went to the timeshare presentation and told them about the condition of the hotel, we were told that the hotel was a separate operation than the owner portion of Georgian Manor. The sales person said the hotel was basically just a "bus" where they held their sales presentation. We used the $40 voucher in the hotel restaurant the second night we were there. The food was really good but we actually asked for the food to be packed up in take out containers because we had to fight all the flies that were trying to land on our food. At one point we counted 8 flies that were on or near our table. The people in the restaurant didn't seem to care one bit, even after we asked if maybe they should move us to a different part of the very empty restaurant. The outdoor pool was nice enough, although it wasn't nearly as big as the picture made it out to be. The indoor pool was out of service both days which we were happy about because it looked old and dirty. We will definitely not be going back there. We could have stayed all day Saturday to enjoy the facilities but decided to pack up and leave at 6 am when our kids woke up. We had had enough!!! Interestingly enought, there was another family checking out at the same time we were and they had a comment card to submit. I wonder what they had to say? The most disappointing part of this whole experience was the lack of care or motivation by the staff at the resort to make our experience better.

Room Tip: Our tip...book somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank H O
Reviewed September 4, 2012

You think you got a deal? Think twice! I had the worst experience with Georgian Manor vouchers. I spent $60 for a 2 nights stay (week days) or 1 night stay (weekend) at this resort excited that I got a good deal. Less did I know (after buying) about all the restrictions and some of them were not even included in the fine print of the voucher.
1. You don’t qualify if you are younger than 30. (right away this tells you where this offer is going and how they are all after their “prospective clients” rather than offering you a nice stay with your own money, even if it is a one time thing).
2. You must provide detailed answers about your occupation, including the age of the kids. (My family found this aspect of their “terms and conditions” rather disturbing. Giving out your personal information for a weekend getaway?? I believe we live in a country where class segregation (based on your status and income) is not at least “openly” accepted.
3. The worst: Mandatory 90 min orientations- your children not allowed!! If you bring your children you pay the full cost of the stay! It is supposed to be a family vacation BUT your kids are NOT WELCOMED everywhere, especially where they need your 100% attention (and money). The Georgian Manor resort has assigned people to take care of your infants, toddlers or if you’re lucky, older kids while you are visiting their property for 90 min. This is not mentioned in their fine print and there is no way one of the parents can attend while the other baby sits. The two must attend. We find this outrageous – how can you leave your infant with some stranger for 90 min? This is not a licenced daycare or anything of this kind. These are people that work for the resort and volunteer to take care of your kids without even you having a say on this.

Hope our experience helps guide your decisions about spending your money in this resort.

Cheers,

Claren

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Claren S

I am very sorry to hear that you feel this way, but I would like to address your concerns. #1 the age requirement is not cast in stone but rather a way for us to market directly to the demographic areas we wish to target. This is very common in the industry and we of course have had many guests under the age of thirty, we simply point out this is aimed at a certain demographic. #2 is again a way for us to compile information. We do not ask for specific or sensitive information, we wimply want to compile information for our marketing department on who is visiting our resort, all questions we aks of any guest is on a voluntary basis. #3 The presentation centre is a fun environment and we do our very best to accomodate everyone, but we have highly qualified staff on hand to entertain children for the approx. 2 hour presentation. This is done for numerous reasons, not least of which is that children do not have the patience to sit around for 2 hours while mom and dad review a program intended to benefit thewhole family. As a family resort, this is priority one for us, and our kids club is highly regarded, many families come back so the kids can enjoy the activities, games, and crafts.
We know we cannot please everyone, but we certainly try our best to accomodate all who visit, and we hope we have addressed your concerns.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

The deal: $60 deposit, attend a 90 minutes time share pitch for a free 2 night stay in a mediocre room

Don't be deceived by their website! Don't expect a luxurious stay at a resort or you will be sorely disappointed. If you don't plan on spending ANY time at your hotel, but you need a cheap/free place to stay, this is a good deal. Blue Mountain and Wasga beach are both within driving distance.

The restaurant was sub-par, the pools were small and sad looking. I found a live bug in my bed (not a bed bug).

Room Tip: Time share! Website pictures are deceiving!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank livelytania

I am sorry that you felt our beautiful property was not up to the standards you expected. We work very hard to meet and exceed the expectations of all of our guests, and it saddens us when we hear we missed that target on this occasion. We hope to have an opportunity to go above and beyond on your next trip to our area. If there is anything I can do to assist in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I had the opportunity to enjoy a very good deal I found on the internet about a mini-vacation at this manor and I am so glad at how much I enjoyed it. I went with my husband and my daughters and there was a little bit of everything for each one of us. The package included seven spa treatments and they were provided to us without any hassle. The only thing is that I was charged an extra $40 at the spa for gratuities and taxes, and this wasn't mentioned in the deal, There was a choice of mini putting or dinner voucher but because I used att the spa treatments I could use only $25 towards it, so we preferred to use the mini putting, which was fantastic. It's very well laid out and my daughters loved it. There were so many things to do around town, also. The only condition was to attend a 90 minute presentation about time share, which became a 2 hour one, but again, we had a great sales person, so we did get all the information we needed without feeling pressure to become a member. It was truly a great deal! I would really recommend it, and would go there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second floor. I heard that the rooms on the first floor are the ones usuall...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Marschupp
Duanegmr, Guest Relations Manager at Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review. Im glad you had a chance to use the professional putting course we have on site, we are very proud of it and always nice to hear from those who enjoy it. Im glad you enjoyed your presentation as well as we try to make it fun and informative. We hope to see you back very soon.

Duane
promo@georgianmanorresort.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
#5 of 11 in Collingwood
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!