“Lovely weekend away”

Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We also "won" a trip to The Georgian Manor in the fall (slow season) and were very grateful for the reviews here to understand what we were in for with the sales pitch portion. I want to thank people for preparing us - it made the whole trip much nicer because we were aware of what we were getting into. As a result our experience was generally very positive. The good stuff: The grounds are nice, the room was well decorated and spacious with a nice bathroom and good water pressure. Room included wifi, full cable, fridge, coffee maker, balconey, etc. Not a terrific view (parking lot) but relatively quiet. The staff were friendly and the restaurant was good esp in the mornings. Special mention to the singer who performed live on Friday night in the cozy lounge beside the restaurant during and after dinner - Jason Redman - he was very good! The indoor pool is very small and needs re-tiling but we had it all to ourselves on Friday morning (with our kids) so we enjoyed that. The temperature was warm and the hot tub beside was fine. I went to the spa and had a terrific massage and good manicure. The play ground area is a little sparce - could be enhanced. My children enjoyed swimming, the video game room, walking the grounds (and across to the bay) and playing in the clubhouse (for a small amount of time only). We took in the local sites and must make special mention of the scenic caves attraction about 15 minutes away. Okay - the challenge was the sales pitch. Supposed to be 90 minutes but lasted more like 2 hours. I thought it was a time share for the resort but it is actually a sales pitch for a "vacation lifestyle" kind of time share - they really work on your dreams and hopes (who doesn't wish to travel more and see the world) and won't reveal any of the real numbers until the very end when they overwhelm people and ulitmatley expect you to committ to thousands with very little information or time. Make sure to ask hard questions and really crunch numbers). If you balk at all the friendliness stops and the hard sell begins. Remember, if unlimited 5 star vacations anywhere in the world sounds too good to be true, it probably is. They want a fast sell. If you're not up for it, be clear as soon as possible (which is hard given you don't know until the very end what it all costs) and, yes, remember to ask for your deposit back at the end of the session. Then you can shake it off and get back to having a lovely time in Collingwood and Blue Mountain.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Trixstand

Reviewed September 13, 2011

We had never been to Collingwood, had an opportunity to use some of our time share points and decided to visit. The room was small but, cClean and quiet. We ate at the breakfast brunch twice, good food and service. The Manor was centrally located and we were able to tour the area. Did enjoy the golf experience!

Room Tip: Our room was up a flight of stairs, not a good fit for carrying luggage and would not have worked we...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We were told this was a time share deal, but we were also told that we'd be able to experience it first-hand before making a decision. We were NOT put in one of the timeshare places, instead we were placed in a hotel room so dark I had trouble picking clothes out from my suitcase. We checked the lighting, which called for 100 watt bulbs - 60 watt. The toilet seat in the bathroom was broken and kept falling to the floor everytime somone sat down. The mattresses were so bad, we felt every coil in the beds and had the worst two night's sleep ever. When I stressed how important the internet was to me for business I was told they had wireless. They didn't tell me that the signal was so bad it was a gamble whether or not we'd get a connection - I was told to go to the local McDonalds or A&W which has internet. My 10 year old son cut his toe (lots of bleeding) on something sharp in the pool. No managers came running. We were given a bandage. They did NOT close the pool for cleaning. Dinner - had a 10 oz steak that was tough and chewy and asparagus that must have been dipped in hot water because they were still raw with no seasoning. When asked how the meal was I was given a lecture on the cut of meat and told that was standard. No it isn't. Other than all this, the staff was exceptional - can't fault their pleasantness, but overall couldn't wait to get back home. As for the sales tour - major major high pressured sales. My husband and I are both in sales so we know all the tricks of the trade. Lastly, we were promised our deposit would go back on our credit card, and now they're telling us they'll send us a cheque. Not impressed.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Muskokagal154984
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The people were nice. The rooms were great. The outside mini golf was the best outdoor course that I have seen so far, my whole family enjoyed it. We ate supper in the restaurant and the food was delicious and plentiful. The price was reasonable.

3  Thank BallhockeyRef
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My boyfriend and I "won" a trip for a one night stay at the Georgian Manor on a weekend night (Sat. night). We had already decided we were just going to take advantage of a freebie and not fall for the 90 min. spiel about signing up with their vacation plan. We were given a 2 for 1 coupon for dinner which we didn't use and a $10 off coupon for brunch which we did use. It was 2 and 1/4 hours long spiel. We went through 3 people. The first lady, very nice, down to earth who told us about the biggest package they had (almost $32,000). Could work if you're retired with moolah, or you have lots of family who can share the package with you. The 2nd, more business like, sharper dressed and sharper toned, told us of a smaller package about half the price of the big package. After that didn't work, we were introduced to a man who was to sign us out. I asked him about our refund for the room, he said of course (in a brushed off kind of way). Then he told us about another package which was even smaller, cheaper at $3200. When that didn't work on us, he muttered something like "hope you had a nice stay" and started to walk away. I got up and walked to him and asked about the refund again. He said "oh yes, let me get that for you" as if he had totally forgotten about it. The refund came in the form of a cheque. So make sure you get a cheque for your refund!!! It's not a refund on your credit card. You'll have to go through with the spiel to understand what the value is in terms of the price and what you get. I think it could work for some people, but it just wasn't for us.

The room itself was decent but on the small side. The ceiling seemed a good 6 inches lower than a standard ceiling. I wonder if they do that on purpose because during the spiel, we were given a tour of a 2 bedroom resort room which was very large and luxurious.

We didn't use the 2 for 1 coupon for dinner as we ate outside the resort. We did use the $10 coupon at breakfast, a buffet. Mind you it's $13.95 per person, so even with the coupon it was something like $21 plus tip. It's a good buffet, there's a chef who makes omletes and fresh waffles - both excellent. The waitress was there to serve coffee right when we sat down. You have to ask for toast and orange juice though. Everything else is self serve.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Alice3913
Reviewed August 16, 2011

After reading the reviews, admittedly, I was concerned about our trip to the Georgian Manor Resort. We stayed in a nice room and they had a lot of amenities for the whole family. The tour was fine, but at the end the salesperson copped a bit of an attitude because we said no to buying the timeshare. However, I was expecting that because people had told me that in the past. I'm glad that I had read on here to ask for my deposit back from the salesperson who did the presentation. I had a cheque in my hand within 5 minutes. Only thing is that the presentation was 2 1/2 hours instead of the quoted 90 minutes.

The restaurant is quite dated, but we were told it's part of a $16M renovation that is underway. Even with being under renovation, the hotel was clean, the staff was nice, and the room was nice.

3  Thank Sher1023
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We have stayed here for several years, as my parents have a timeshare here for more than 10 yrs. The kitchen was supposed to have been remodeled/updated. However it was really poor quaility cabinets, which are already starting to warp. The doors do not line up properly. Paint was missing along the back splash, and along the bulkhead over the upper cupboards. It looked like a poor DIY project!
In addition the housekeeping was poor. The cups in the kitchen had tea/coffee stains in them. The bathroom had a hair all over the floor and the vent in the living room was covered in dust! It was disgusting!
The public areas are lovely, just our room was unacceptable!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Blue Mountain Inn
#5 of 11 in Collingwood
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!