“Reviews were too harsh”
Review of Cranberry Resort

Cranberry Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My boyfriend and l just returned from our 2 night stay at the resort. Have to be honest prior to
going we read nothing but BAD reviews to the point that we wanted to cancel. But in doing
so we would have paid a penalty for not attending the 2 hour sales presentation.
Wow, the reviews got it all wrong. After reading about the long wait and incompetent front desk service,we were checked in promptly by "Shelby" who was pleasant, courteous and efficient. Shelby later on helped me with where to eat and points of interest.
Our room was clean, fresh smelling and tidy. The bed and bed linen were pristine white and so
so comfortable. Bathroom towels were ample. 4 large new soft towels for the 2 of us. The bath
products were better than most hotels.
Upon checking in our AC was not working. Repairman came promptly and said only fan was
operating. If we were not happy with just the fan let staff know. After 30 minutes we realized
room was too stuffy with just the fan. After calling Shelby she gave us a new room right away.
I call that service.
I would definately stay again.
Lets face it, its not a five star hotel but for the price you pay its more than worth it.

Peggy and Victor

Room Tip: Ask for room facing courtyard not parking lot.
2  Thank victor v
Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had the chance to stay at Cranberry resort, and had the most wonderful time. The staff was terrific, the rooms were large, clean, and comfortable, with nice large bathrooms. The grounds are very nice to walk around, and offer a children's camp during the day. We were just minutes from Blue Mountain without having to pay the high price of a room right in the village. All in all a great experience, I highly recommend it and will definitely go back.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We came to Cranberry Resort on a timeshare trade. We were checked in without any problems and were greeted by a very perky woman who had a packet of things to do at the resort. Our room was in the building across the highway. The lobby is under construction as well as many other parts of this building. When we entered our second floor room, we immediately noticed the room was not finished. There were stains in the shower from the workmen who installed the shower. They also left stains on the tiled floor and in the kitchenette. There was a hole in the countertop which I thought was due to a broken warming plate. We discovered later that it supposed to be the cooktop stove! We asked for a cleaning person to remedy the situation. Natalie was very helpful in doing her best. A request for a room change was met with the expected response, "All of our rooms were booked." We had no choice but to stay.

The next day we noticed that the slider did not lock. Being on ground level, this was totally unacceptable. Another request to move was met with, "Let me see what I can do after the Sunday check-outs." We were pleasantly surprised to find a room just above our first lodging. And, it was clean and there was a stovetop, and other amenities missing from the previous room. Also, the slider lock worked!

There is still considerable work being done in the lobby and around the facility. Some of the areas looked worn!

The Ups were added because of Natalie and the clerk on the front desk who got us into the current room.

I would have serious concerns recommending this timeshare to others considering it.

Th facility does have in its favor, a great location.

1  Thank TravelinJoe47
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went to a trade show in Toronto in the winter and we purchased a special weekend package for $99.00 and that included your 2 night stay, $40 dining voucher and 2 rounds of golf. Great deal right. We found out after the fact that in order to get the deal we would have to attend a 2 hour time share presentation. We decided what the heck we love Collingwood, we will be so close to the Village and it's a cheap weekend away.

We arrived late on the Friday and check in was quick. Our room was in the main hotel portion (not the water front or condo's). Our room was on the bottom floor and there is no elevator so we had to walk down a flight of stairs with our hands full. Upon entering the room we are met with a musty smell, basic room but out dated and run down. My first thought was they want us to buy a time share for this resort and they are checking us into this room??

Anyways we kept an open mind. My husband enjoyed the free round of golf with my brother on Saturday morning while I headed for breakfast and to sit by the pool. I did not eat breakfast at the hotel I went to the plaza beside the hotel and enjoy a nice made to order breakfast at the Westside Diner....hot and fresh and reasonable priced. The only meal we ate at the resort was lunch on Saturday afternoon at the golf course club house and it was good. The adults only pool is closed so the outdoor pool is the main area for families and kids. The pool needs some TLC. The weather was great and we enjoyed the pool for the afternoon but then headed back to the room to shower and change before heading into the Village for dinner and drinks. While there are some nice condo's on the property they seem to be all private, the grounds are nice but it is really dated and needs some attention. The waterfront suites are new but still under construction so while you are on the water your view is construction equipment and dirt. Once the waterfront side is done I think it will be a nice destination but I would not be rushing back. If I am going to pay the $$ for a weekend in Collingwood I would rather stay in the Village. If we got another deal for Cranberry for $99 I would considering going back but I would not pay regular price.

The time share presentation was okay. We went in with an open mind and with this being our first presentation of this type we learnt something new. At the end of the meeting we are asked to sign the deal on the spot. We declined because we wanted to discuss afterwards and do some research first. The tone changes at that point....LOL. We had one more person come and speak wit us but similar to buying a new car or any other large purchase we wanted to do some research and educate ourselves about this offer. We left the presentation, thanked them for the information and headed home.

All in all I would look at a different resort when we plan to head back to Collingwood. The main hotel needs some major TLC.....the ceiling tiles in the halls are stained and beat up, some of the furnishings in the rooms are old, ripped and dirty, the musty smell in the rooms. The upper floors do not have balconies.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere unless your getting a really good deal for this place. Do not stay in the main hotel.
2  Thank gurlly16
Reviewed July 20, 2013

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of being a guest at this resort. I didn't read any reviews before I went, which I think is good in this case as I don't understand why there are so many negative reviews in the first place. I am from the city and was lucky enough to get 4 days off from work. I had heard about this resort from a few friends and coworkers so I figured I would give it a shot. I am not a good long distance traveller so the location was perfect for me - about 2 hours outside the downtown core.

Upon arrival I could tell I made the right choice; friendly staff, beautiful facilities, plenty of activities.

Some of these reviews state that the resort is confusing and too spread out, but I didn't experience any of those feelings during my stay. Simply put, there is one road that separates the older building from the newly renovated one. On one side you have the old hotel, recreation centre, and golf course. On the other you have the new hotel and marina.

If you can cross a street, navigating this resort should be no problem for you.

The recreation centre reminded me of my childhood. My and my girlfriend spent the first afternoon playing tennis, volleyball, and even played some pool inside (I lost on purpose, I assure you haha). They also had basketball, an outdoor pool, and bikes you could rent.

The golf course! I grew up playing golf with my papa, and the clubhouse reminded me of those days. It had all the old character classic american golf was about. There was local beer on tap and the food was great. I was told that it was a natural golf course, meaning that almost none of it was manipulated by man. Aside from the beautiful foliage surrounding the course, there was no way to know that because of how well maintained the grounds were. This course is a must for anyone staying at the resort! If you don't golf, at least drop by for lunch on the deck overlooking the course.

The marina was amazing. We rented some kayaks and paddle boats, but they also offered jetskis and other cool stuff too. We took a walk and discovered a wedding reception area. My girlfriend assured me that it would be the perfect backdrop to an outdoor wedding. Hint taken.

On a sidenote, there is a local swan celebrity and we got to meet him while we were kayaking.

We ate at the restaurant attached to the old building and the food was top notch. If you're lucky enough to be staying for more than one night I highly suggest you go at least twice to be able to try more of the menu. Prices were average for the types of dishes served.

The last thing I wanted to mention was the rooms. I stayed in the new building, which is really more like a condo unit. The room literally looked like a modern condo. The kitchen was amazing, and the floorplan was open concept. The bed. THE BED. I don't know where they managed to purchase these but they are easily the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on. No contest. I always have trouble sleeping away from home but the quality of these beds wouldn't allow me to keep my eyes open. I should mention that even the sheets were of high quality.

Yes, the new building is still under renovation, but it did not interefere with my experience at all. If anything it kind of just got me more excited to come back and see how it all turns out. They are definitely headed in the right direction, and I was even able to see the design for the future layout, including a new outdoor lounge area complete with a new hot tub.

I will be back as soon as I can.

Thanks for reading!

(I rated the spa average as I did not attend so I don;t have an opinion on)

2  Thank Rorbie B
Reviewed July 20, 2013

In early July we got a deal on this hotel, advertised at $295 per night we got it for $129. The lobby entrance looked very nice until we entered the hotel portion.
The hotel portion is very tired looking and there was a musty smell as we headed to our room and upon entering the room the smell was a little less obvious.
My wife always does a thorough inspection before we take anything out. She found in the washroom a bar of soap from the previous guests with hairs on it. Found hair in the bathtub as well.
The air conditioning was ridiculous, no matter what setting I put it on; it was either full blast and too loud or nothing at all.
I understand that the intent is to get guests to buy into a time-share but there is no way I would even think about attending the session if this is how they treat guests at the start of their stay.
The one positive note was the staff was very friendly.
On the back of the door it did say the room was $295 and if I had paid that I would have asked for my money back and gone down the street as previous reviewers have mentioned.
Very disappointing.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The room was an average size, average comfort for a hotel/motel. The air-conditioning was terrible. You have no control over when it comes on or shuts off or what temperature you room will be. I tried turning the A/C to just Fan but then it smelled musty so I switched it back to A/C. When I complained, housekeeping brought me a fan to at least keep the air moving when the A/C shut off.

There was a heated floor in the bathroom with no controls. There is no need for a warm bathroom floor on a hot summer day - in my opinion it should be off in the summer.

My husband and I are trying to avoid gluten and sugar but there weren't many options on the breakfast buffet. When we arrived everything was laid out, not very warm and there was no server in sight so we assumed (wrongly) that it was a free buffet. I served myself a sausage and a little bit of rubbery scrambled egg and a bit of fruit. We also served our own coffee. After I left, my husband finally saw the server and she presented him with a $12.95 per person bill for breakfast. Again, I complained at the front desk but all they could do was give me breakfast vouchers which we never used. I would have preferred a refund for at least half the cost. We walked one block away to The Westside Diner in Cranberry Mews instead and had a much better breakfast cooked to order.

The only reason we stayed at this resort was to be with our daughter's family. They had lots of fun going to the local attractions: Wasaga Beach, Scenic Caves and the many hiking trails in Collingwood. My husband and I took a side trip to Creemore to visit the Brewery and the quilt shop. Our 5 year old grandson loved the indoor pool but we were shocked to discover that he could open the door without a hotel key. My husband reported it immediately to the front desk!

1  Thank 4partharmonygal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
#3 of 11 in Collingwood
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Cranberry Resort? Share your experiences!