“DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT”
Review of Cranberry Resort

Cranberry Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Hamilton ON
“DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT”
Reviewed May 26, 2008

I do not want to be repetitive and waste anybody's time. Therefore, read the “Got THROWN OUT Of Time Share Presentation !!!!!!!!!” I could not agree more.

I went for a weekend in this hotel on May 25th with my wife with the condition of having to spend 2 hours (don't worry, it will take longer than that) to listen to a sales pitch.

Well, let's start with the facilities: they are terrible, everything is in bad, bad shape. I stayed in the hotel and as you probably read in one of the reviews, air conditioning will not work. Pools are ridiculous, recreation center is pathetic. Everything else you want to do is very expensive. We got a $30 voucher to spend in the restaurant but after seeing the prices, my wife and I decided to have dinner somewhere else.

The presentation: they start like any other time share sales pitch. One sales rep starts asking a lot of questions such as how important vacation is for you and bla bla bla. Then they take you to watch a movie (they do not even show the Cranberry Golf Resort in the movie). The person deliverying the presantion was annoying and asked us to uho uho every time she mentioned about money!!!. Pathetic..... After the presentation they will take you for a tour where they will show the facitlities. They showed a two bedroom apartment that was nice. However, I really doubt that I would be able to book it anyway.

Hey, don't stop reading now. The best (or the worst) is still to come. After the tour, the sales rep takes you back to the same room where they have some loud mexican songs going on. You can barely hear what the sales rep is saying. After many other questions and waste of time, a lady rings a bell which means that the sales reps are ready to show you the price. Wow, it was $32,000 and they wanted me to give them $5,000 upfront on my credit card.

Of course I said no. I tried to be polite and mentioned that there was value in the program (there is not) but it was not for me at this time. Just as I read in "“Got THROWN OUT Of Time Share Presentation !!!!!!!!!” I the the sales rep calls for help. Two gunwomen come to ask you the same question all over again. All of the sudden, they start to be very agressive and say that perhaps you would not be able to afford anyway and things like that. I was so pissed but still controlled myself. I am35 and make 6 figures a year but I would never spend $35k in something like that. And it keeps going and going, I started to become very angry and decided to leave.

CONCLUSION: DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT VISITING THE CLUB. IT IS NOT WORTH IT. YOU ARE GOING TO REGRET. THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE OUT OF THE BUSINESS A LONG TIME AGO.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — facilities in general
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HamiltonONTeca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Caledon On
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Contrary to many of the recent reviews that I had read before our stay on May 12th (2008) my wife and I had a good experience at Cranberry resort. Obviously, we were expecting the worst but we were pleasantly surprised to find that Cranberry seems to have overcome their "growing pains".

Our room (305) in the hotel itself was fine. It's obvious that major renovations had been done. Other than the rather tired wooden desk and TV console (maybe a throwback to the old Holiday Inn), the room was well appointed: new bathroom fixtures, carpeting, drapes, mattress, bedspreads, etc. The beds' new mattresses were very comfortable.

The main lobby, dining areas and bathrooms (outside of Memories restaurant) were lovely. Apparently, these areas had their Grand Opening the week before our stay. There was still displays of balloons situated around the lobby area. Beautiful tiled flooring, a wonderful fireplace and gorgeous flowers were in evidence throughout the area. The guest restrooms outside of Memories restaurant were as nice as I've seen in a long time. Black marble, raised bowl sinks and great lighting. All in the eye of the beholder I guess.

We booked our dinner for 6 PM in Memories and were not disappointed. The service was excellent and the food portions were more than adequate and quite tasty. There was nothing but good things happening there. My seafood chowder was so large that my wife and I could not finish it all even with two spoons. For the main course I had the pasta special which was delicious and again very filling. The next morning we had a buffet style breakfast in the newly renovated cafe (overlooking the patio area). A bit pricey, but quite well done also.

Once finished there, we made our way to the Harbour Castle that the resort was promoting. Typical presentation area with really odd music piped into the presentation area. The split level two bedroom condo was very modern with all the amenities one would expect from a new building. The young man who was our "host" was very good and his compatriots were also quite professional. Alas, no sale this time they did keep to their 2 hour time line and that was most appreciated.

We were very impressed with the friendliness of all staff at the resort including the receptionists, the wait staff and the regular hotel staff. All had a smile and all were very welcoming and helpful !

All in all, my wife and I had a very good time at the resort and I believe that the new renovations that they've made will bode well for Cranberry in future.

• Liked — renovations made and service
  • Disliked — noisy room fan
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank btimp4849
Darnestown, MD, USA
Reviewed May 15, 2008

How this place continues to stay in business is beyond me. We did find our place to be clean, but I am convinced that all their customers are lured in by some time share connection, because there is nothing worth while at Club Cranberry!! My mother traded in a time share week for CC because it was available (RCI had very few choices 8 months prior, surprised? It's simple logic in time share sales people). She believed the property to be on the Georgian Bay, not across a 3-lane busy road with property inbetween, thus no views. We had a first floor unit with a view of the parking lot and nothing at the resort to do! The indoor pool is rediculous, NOT resort quality, only suitable for a family w/ kids (maybe). The calendar of activities was never completed for May while we were there. For $, guests can take excertions sightseeing (away from the CC!) or go to their spa, but Le Scandinave Spa in town is AWESOME. Joan, the concierge, was very pleasant and tried to come up with ideas for us, which were all off the property. We never tried to food at CC because the environment of CC made us depressed!! Basically it is a place to lay your head with more space than a hotel room, third rate beds & linens, in a pretty area with a nice downtown & GREAT local restaurants (First St. Bistro, Duncan's, the village at Blue Mt).

• Liked — The color sceme in the room.
  • Disliked — The mattress quality, towels, location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Summerlanding

Travelers are raving about these Collingwood hotels

Sebago, Maine
Reviewed April 24, 2008

Where to begin? I can't think of anything positive to say about this resort. I would rank this in the same category as Motel 6 and we were in the Cranberry Harbour Castle (what castle???) condo, which is a brand new facility.

My sister and I book an elongated "spa weekend" away every year. She has a timeshare elsewhere and traded for this one, which was rated Gold Crown - ha! The brochure and website shows lovely outdoor pools, boasts waterfront views and a vast number of outstanding amenities.

First it was almost impossible to find as there are no signs to tell you where they are located. When we finally found the reservation lobby the person at the front desk had her back to us and didn't turn around until prompted by an abrupt throat clearing. When asked if this is where you check in for the Cranberry Harbour Castle & Resort the person said yes and then turned back around to continue her conversation without offering to help. After some time another woman came walking into the lobby area with basketballs in her hand, asked if we needed help and then told us she'd be with us in a minute.

We were told our condo was in the "castle" across the road, overlooking Georgian Bay, I think it was room 316. There is no help with luggage, no one in the lobby of that building and someone who evidently did the timeshare presentations standing there that overheard us looking for the floor that our condo was on. She told us it was the third floor (makes sense)...nope! We took the elevator to the third, when the doors opened it was in darkness. Got back in the elevator and saw a little sign that said rooms in the 300's are on floor 2, rooms in the 200's are floor 1...makes sense! When we finally found our condo it was obviously new, fairly roomy and overlooking a large dirt lot with boats stored in front of that, a stone breakwater and then, sure enough, you could see the bay. It was hotter than heck, we called for air conditioning and were told the following. What you need to do is turn the fan off then open the windows. What??? Again we asked how to turn the air conditioning on and she told us the place would cool down with the windows open (there were no windows, just 2 sliders) and that maintenance hadn't changed the system over. We asked them to find out when it will be changed and that it was necessary now.

The living room furniture must have been vintage "The Flintstones" as it was all hard as a rock.

We stayed one night as there was no place to sit outside, no outdoor pool, when asked if there was a place to relax in the sun we were told by the staff that they didn't really know and maybe there was a bench outside or something like that. They knew NOTHING! Finally, just as we were packing up to leave and spend considerably more money at the Mosaic at The Blue Mountain Village, which is outstanding by the way, the Maintenance Manager came by to tell us why there was trouble with the air conditioning and that they had tried to switch over, but all the pipes were leaking and just outside our room it was coming into the hallway in buckets.

All I can say is DON'T GO THERE NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE OFFERED! Check out the facilities at Blue Mountain Resort, it is absolutely incredible.

• Liked — Condo interior was new
  • Disliked — Staff, customer relations, view, proper misreprestation, no place to sit outside
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank MaineDlb
New Hampshire
Reviewed April 24, 2008

This place was absolutely not what it was described to be. The brochure on the counter showed this awesome pool but it didn't even exist yet. The other pools were not going to be opened for months.

The weather was hot but they still hadn't "switched over" to air conditioning yet so it was stifling. When they tried to switch it over all the pipes in the ceiling started leaking like a garden hose was up there.

The weather was extraordinary but they didn't have one single place outside to sit and enjoy.

The smokestack beside the buiding (not in use but very visible) was quite the touch! Well, we couldn't get lost with that landmark.

Never sat on more uncomfortable furniture in my life and it was all new! The services was terrible - 20 rings for the front desk and then she didn't even know if they had a pool!!! It was truly amazing to the point that we left and stayed at the Mosaic at Blue Mountain. What a refreshing change. It was fabulous.

Whatever you do, run - don't walk - from this "resort." No one should have to spend money and have a time like you will have here.

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank CPANH
ON
Reviewed March 15, 2008

Where do we begin? Oh stay FAR FAR AWAY from this place. Stayed on bottom floor, no elevator, or help with luggage. Uhaul it yourself down a flight of stairs that smells like rodent and moldy must, just disgusting. The room we had looked like it was from some terrible bad 70's horror movie, dark and furbished to one star standards. I told my self that we only have to sleep here and all the other fun is done off the resort.

We skied, went to a movie, had a great meal at East Side's, all the regular stuff you do on a quick getaway. Then it was time for our presentation. Ouch. What a scam, I'm supprised these places are even operating in Ontario. After 2 hours of Very HIGH pressure tactics and countless NO NO NO's they just did not get it. Our sales rep had to call over his big gun to try and do some persuading, and my oh my is that when things changed from bad to let's say I don't think we will be invited there again, ever, maybe not even our kids.

After trying to tell this sales manager that we are not interested again for about the tenth time, this guy basically said that maybe we can't even get approved for their financing or to be able to afford this deal in the first place, what a joke. I guess that's where things really fell apart and I got into a shouting match with this jerk on their sales floor.

How dare they prejudge anyone or anybody as to their financial situation, and whether or not they can afford something or not??? I pay more in income tax in a year than this sales rep JOEY makes in a year. I never brag about my income, I'm fairly conservative when it comes to that, but these guys just like to push buttons.

We were invited to be there for their presentation, not the other way around. I was called cheap and that I can't afford a real vacation and that is the only reason why we were there, oh and that my credit card would be charged $500.00. for not completing their 2 hour tour. This was after 2 hours of being haggled. What a joke. If any lawyers read this please let me know if this classifies as slander or defamation. I hope I didn't ruin any potential sales with other potential customers, that would be a pity.

In other words take a gamble if you want to go, but be strong and be prepared for a strong sales pitch. Read the other reviews on here and you get the whole picture.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY INTO THIS NIGHTMARE, IT WILL TAKE YOU 50 YEARS TO WAKE UP !!!!!!!

[--]

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
35 Thank HappyTraveler0321
Toronto
Reviewed March 14, 2008

My oh my, where to begin?
This trip was supposed to be a girls getaway and from the moment we walked in we were unfortunately disappointed. Our room was on the first floor (note not the main floor) which we had to access by going down the stairs with our luggage (no elevator, or even an offer of help- which we gladly would have tipped for). The hallway was dark and smelled of mustiness. Our room was barely passable with a semi-operational door, peeling paint, dirty carpet, and extremely low ceilings. My mother was not impressed having been assured that we were to be given a newer room with a view of the garden but having ended up instead with a view of the parking lot. We immediately went to the front desk and complained only to be told that no one had promised a garden view and that they were completely booked because of the busy season. My mother insisted that they check again and again we were told that there was NOT A SINGLE ROOM LEFT. My mother asked to speak with the manager and after 10 minutes of her fiddling on the computer a room was (surprise, surprise!) found. Then we were simply given the keys without another word. I will say that the room was much better.

As part of our stay we had also been promised continental breakfast yet when we inquired where we were to go to receive it we were told that there was a Tim Hortons nearby... looking back it probably would have been better there. The dining room experience was interesting to say the least. There was exactly one person working the entire dining room, acting as hostess, waitress, and busser. Needless to say, the service was slow. While we waited we saw many couples and families come in and leave exasperated after waiting up to 20 minutes for a menu, never mind the time it took to place and receive an order... customer service at its finest. During our meal we also witnessed the server inform a customer that HE was wrong and that he had not ordered what he claimed to have ordered. Overall, the food was okay but from start to finish we were there almost two hours.

All in all, save your money and look elsewhere- an unforgettable experience I would soon rather forget.

• Liked — Location- close to Blue Mountain
  • Disliked — Take your pick...
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank browneyesToronto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
#5 of 8 in Blue Mountains
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Cranberry Resort? Share your experiences!