“Ruined plans, lost money and nervous breakdown”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Cranberry Resort

Cranberry Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Toronto
“Ruined plans, lost money and nervous breakdown”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband, my 3 year old daughter and I stayed at Cranberry resort for 3 nights in January 2013. The results: ruined plans, lost money and nervous breakdown. We came on Saturday and a room was freezing cold, heater was off. I took 5 hours to get comfortable in a room. I booked a Cranberry spa service for Sunday, but when I came to enjoy my facial, a door was closed; there was nobody in a spa. We booked Scandinavian spa (bath and massages) for 2 people for Monday and paid $280 ahead. Cranberry resort has a private day care, so we booked a babysitter to take care of our daughter while we are in a spa. When we brought our daughter on Monday to a day care, a day care was closed. So, we did not go to Scandinavian spa and lost money. I send e-mails to Cranberry resort and asked about compensation for the ruined vacation, they did not even respond.
Recommendations: do not book a Cranberry resort spa for Sundays; you will not get a service anyway. There is no professional babysitting service at a resort. If you book a service, be ready for big disappointments.
Also, Cranberry resort sells membership. We bought 2 nights at a resort with a promotion and had to attend an orientation meeting. We survived during 2 hours of brain washing and I would like to share my thoughts. For about 1.5 hours they will wash your brain showing nice pictures and talking about a point system. In the last 15 minutes you will be asked to pay $20000 for the opportunity to come to a resort for one week a year in the next 30 years. If you bring a calculator, you will find that an annual membership fee and an annual maintenance fee will cover your week at a resort. So, if you have extra $20000, donate it to a charity.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Nataliya L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Georgetown, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife and I went there for our honeymoon in the winter. We were supposed to be there a week, but left two days early with my new bride in tears!

We booked a room at the harbor front suites. When we showed up at the harbor front suites, we couldn't find the front desk to check in. Eventually I found a housekeeper on the third floor, who told me that we need to check in at a building 5 minutes down the highway. That would have been useful information to know before!
Once we got into our room, even though we were staying in the harbor front suites, which sounds beautiful, we had a view of a parking lot and shopping center.

The room was supposed to have a kitchenette... The pictures online, looked fantastic. But I don't think those pictures were taken at this resort, because the rooms don't look like what they have posted online. Our kitchenette had two burners, a pot and a plastic spoon and a coffee maker sitting on the desk. I work as a chef and enjoy camping so I wasn't expecting a full kitchen. But what can I do with only 1 pot? I asked if it was possible to get a frying pan, or at least another pot, maybe something to flip an egg, and perhaps 2 plates for my wife and I to eat on. They dropped off another pot and plastic spoon and plates for us to eat on. ??? There was no counter to prepare food on, and no table to eat at. But we had two beds in the room, so we used one bed for sleeping and the other bed we used to prepare our food on and eat.

We were there for a week. But after 2 days we ran out of filters for the coffee maker. When I phoned to ask for more coffee filters, they recommended Wal Mart. I found that ridiculous, so I drove to the reception desk. They looked and offered me diapers. Can you believe that? I told them it was my honeymoon, so it was a little early for me to need diapers. They recommended trying the restaurant, just off of the reception area. I did, they looked at me like I was crazy and asked why would they have coffee filters for my room. SO she flagged down a housekeeper, who finally went and got me a couple more coffee filters.

When booking the trip and when checking in, we mentioned that it was our honeymoon. We were hoping that they would include a little extra something. So the first morning we were there, we got a call from front desk, saying there was a welcome package for us. I excitedly got in the car and drove down the highway to get it, only to find out that it was a bunch of coupons and flyers from local businesses (junk mail). I got all dressed up, drove in the cold winter weather, to collect some flyers? Plus they gave us the same junk mail, when we checked in. I stared blankly at the woman and asked "I drove all the way here, in the cold, for junk mail that I already have?" She was on the phone with her girlfriend, so took the junk mail back, said "OH, I guess you don't need it then." And started back into her conversation with the other girl.

They have free movie rentals for anyone staying at their resort. So we found the building where you sign them out, which is again, another drive in the cold. We picked out some movies and then went to sign them out with the girl that was working there. They also have DVD players, that you can also borrow and everything is free of charge. That sounds great! But there was a problem... The DVD players they have, don't work with the TV's that are in the harbor front suites. My questions was "What's the point of having DVD players to borrow if they don't work with the TV's?" The answer she gave us... "Do you have a laptop you could use?"
So that is what we did, we have a huge TV in our room, but watched movies on our little laptop.

Plus it should be mentioned that you can hear your neighbors very clearly. We could always tell when they were in the room, coming and going. Because we could hear everything they said and did. Thankfully they weren't party animals, but it made us uncomfortable.

Let's talk about the amenities...
The pool was rundown and was in need of repair, and the change room was dirty. But either way there was water in the pool, so we were able to swim for a while. We were getting cold, so we jumped in the hot tub to warm up. It was colder then the pool! So we quickly left, because we needed to warm up in a shower. Keep in mind that the pool is also not in the harbor front suites, so you have to drive in the cold to get to it. We asked about the hot tub afterwards. They had drained it, and it should be hot, by the weekend. Which was when we were leaving. So we couldn't use the hot tub during our stay!
I went to the fitness room. It was in the basement. It was dark down there, and again it was also dirty. And there were some unsavory looking employee's having a smoke break down there, who just sat there staring at me, which made me uncomfortable, so I didn't stay. Plus, I don't smoke.
When we checked out early, the gentleman at the front desk noticed we were leaving a couple days early. He asked if we found everything satisfactory. I told him "NO". And without asking for any details he said "well I'm sure your next experience with us will be." Why would I come back?

The only good thing about our honeymoon, was the day we spent at the Scandinavia Spa. It was clean, beautiful and reasonably priced for what we got. The staff was kind and helpful and we loved it. Though, maybe it was only amazing because we were comparing it to where we were staying (at the Cranberry resorts), which was a dump.
So if you want to go on a holiday and enjoy yourself, please avoid Cranberry resorts. If you've already booked a room, cancel it and stay home instead. We wish we had!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are really noisy when it rains.
8 Thank Wes F

Travelers are raving about these Collingwood hotels

Mulmur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel hosted our company conference awhile back and I should have done the review then A vast improvement from 10 years ago when they were once a dumpy timeshare group. Overall excellent service staffing and food hotel was updated cleaner and brighter mostly I was impressed that they re-vamped and made it more comfortable for travellers and business guests
Good job you can compete well with the higher ends now!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our experience with the staff was good, supper and service in the Lounge26 was GREAT!
First night we had soup & salad, mac and cheese with twice fried bacon that was perfect, second night was two for one wings, these were the biggest and best wings we've had in years, the fries were as good as well. The rooms were cleaned well enough, beds were good, the shower and bathroom was spotless
The Pool area was clean and they must have fixed up the hallways (it was dinged up if you looked up though). Staff were attentitive and called our room and knocked on our door to ask if everything was fine with our stay.
The cross country ski trail behind the hotel is good but can be windy as it crosses the golf course.
Now the bad...
I found the sales person's question period at the beginning of the timeshare sales pitch (that wasn't a time share) way too personal, if we knew this deal included this sales *beating* we would not have enjoyed this discounted visit to the Cranberry Mews (it does look like an old school roadway motel)
Management have a great staff in place here - but they need to review a sales beating or two for themselves to see how that type of sales tactics taints one's view of their stay, all these fellow reviewers can't be wrong...Pipe up you folks whom are happy or unhappy with their Cranberry Vacation Club package...

Room Tip: The end hallway doors click very loudly when they closed, I had to put our damp pool towels on the b...
1 Thank 878HELP
Southampton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I would not use this hotel again because no one on staff seems to care that they have many problems. The washroom was dirty . The heating unit annoyingly loud andour room was not cleaned or made up during the day . when we notified the staff nothing was done about it . When I mentioned the problems the next day again nothing.

Room Tip: Hire staff who care. Avoid room 206
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DonaldB499296
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I bought a voucher from dealfind and decided to use it with my husband. The resort and guidelines were very inconsistant... the presentation we had to listen to was not in the hotel, had to go over to their other resort.. and after having to listen to the timeshare presentation and not buy anything the people got really aggressive and made us feel really bad and stupid for not buying anything they turned from welcoming to unwelcoming... beware theyll try to sell you a 7000$ package deal thats not worth it.... the duration turned out to be 3hours instead of 2.. we also had a $10 breakfast voucher and decided to use it however the breakfast for 2 turned out to be 13 $ each so around 30$ alltogether and ended up paying 21 with tax and tip... a very expensive breakfast I must say that wasnt even that good, everthing was dry... they also give you a 30 $ dining voucher but we never ended up using it after finding out how expensive the breakfast was... overalll the cranberry hotel was just dissapointing...

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank cw1989
Stratford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Cranberry was ok stay,it's not a 5 star resort , but for $109 jaunt deal , which included supper,2 bar drinks, and buffet breakfast , it was good stay,pub food was good, tasty angus burger!,breakfast buffet was fine, king suite room was clean and quiet, front desk and waitress staff was nice and polite. We would stay here again.no big complaints.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
#4 of 8 in Blue Mountains
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Cranberry Resort? Share your experiences!