“Average All Round”
Review of Cranberry Resort

Cranberry Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We had a few RCI points to use so got a 3 night stay at Club Cranberry Studio Apartment. It's really a big hotel room with a fridge and 2 electric rings and a microwave. It was clean and the furniture wasn't bad. Nice view from the balcony of a pool with fountain and waterfall.

Happy Hour from 3-7pm in the bar is $3 domestic beer and wine and some "interesting" locals!! Pool and Spa were average as was the restaurant, the buffet breakfast was free as somebody was nice enough to give us their 'time share coupon for $50.

Golf course was in great shape.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Traded our lockoff in Orlando for a week at Waterfront Suites. The room was drab and dingy and we overlooked the heating unit through the dirtiest window ever. There was not enough coffee or soap for the week and the mugs were filthy and needed washing before use. The piece de resistance was the fridge stove falling off three times in the week. There was noise and mess from construction but the property will be lovely once completed and renovated..in 7 years! The wifi was horrendous. When I could get on, it was a race to complete whatever I wanted before being dropped. However, Georgian Bay area is glorious and there are two fabulous wineries nearby. The restaurant, Memories, was good too. We had the prime rib which was delicious and enough for a family. We left a couple of days early as the thought of rain in that room was too depressing. Would I go again? Yes to the area but back to Cranberry only if they could guarantee me a much nicer room. Life is too short.

Room Tip: Do not book a lock off that is not renovated. Go only if you can get a one bedroom or better in the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan J
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Our reservation was booked with the resort directly, but the package was purchased (prepaid) online on DealFind (similar to WagJag and Groupon). There was some confusion at booking, but the girl said if there was a problem she would let us know. We didn't hear anything back, so we called to confirm a week before our stay and received VERY rude treatment from a girl at the front desk, who told us to cancel our reservation because WE had booked it incorrectly. Spoke with the "manager" (who we later found out was NOT the manager) to complain and he said that all was fine with our reservation and that we were set to go. Problem solved, right?

WRONG! To make a long story as short as possible, we received absolutely TERRIBLE treatment when we arrived. There was still a mistake with our reservation and they had booked us under a different package that was not prepaid. It took and hour and half, 5 people and two phone calls to get us checked in when we arrived. We would have simply left after an hour, but they already had our money (!!!!) and we'd packed up ourselves and our child, MH had taken the time off work, and wanted our getaway.

Here's the treatment we received (and it doens't sound like we are the only ones who have had this problem at this particular resort):

-We were told to leave and rebook for another time (we were basically shown the door)
-I was told I had to call an outside line and that the front desk couldn't help me...I wasn't offered a phone and had to use my own cell phone
-1st call centre was closed, spoke with someone in adminstration who told me I'd have to wait for them to open because they were on lunch. Finally got through, given a second number which sent me back to the person at adminstration I'd spoken with originally who said, and I quote "I thought we discussed this. You're going to cancel your reservation and rebook for another time".
-I was hung-up on by that same person
-We were told there was no General Manager of the resort when I asked for contact information
-The person we had spoken with the week previous (whose name I had kept with our paperwork), who confirmed our reservation was fine,denied ever talking to us
-I was told if I wanted to change our reservation type to the correct package, I would have to pay a change fee of $65.
-Eventually I was told that there was no room available for us, even though they had a reservation booked, it just wasn't the right price package
-Every single person was incredibly rude, and kept disappearing into the back office, only to send a new person out who we would have to re-explain the situation to

All of this, and it was a mistake on the hotel's part, no ours!!!

We finally got a room and the rest of our stay was fine.... until we tried to check-out. We were presented with a bill for $450 for our 2 night stay, which was the cost of the incorrect package they had tried to book us under originally. We had to go through the entire process again, with all new people. I had already paid for our package and there was no way I was paying again.

We have since been in touch with the general manager (funny... since apparently there isn't one) who has offered us a free two night stay to make up for it. Unfortuantely, after treatment like that I'm not sure I'll go back.... free or not.

There are so many nice places to stay in Collingwood.... don't waste your money here.

8  Thank Ashley T
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed at the Waterfront Suites and they are as the other reviews mentioned they are having renovations outside for some of suites that faced the waterfront. The waterfront suite is at another remote location from the main building where all the facilities are. It is not so convenient if you want to use their pool and rec center. The waterfront suites look nice on their website but in reality, it isn't directly facing the water where some boats are parked. There is still a couple minutes of walking distance to the waterside. Also there are a lot of little flies by the water. The facilities are not big and also look old. We got the ground floor suite and the windows were looking from just above ground - so it was like partially in the basement. The suite has two queen beds in one room and one king bed in another with fully equipped kitchen. For that amount of beds and kitchen, it is probably cheaper than if you were to stay at the Blue Mountain resorts. The carpet, couch and bathrooms look old and feel old. The bathrooms have rubber moldings which are coming off and the tiles is not clean. The beds are the only thing I would say is clean. The bathroom towels also have stains on them. I guess the only reason is really for trying this place is the size of the suite to accommodate a larger group. Check-in staff is also not that enthusiastic, I guess because they know they are not representing an outstanding place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank deruderu
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Booked a night at the cranberry resort about a month or so before our 10th anniversary, was very Leary about it as there are plenty of bad reviews online but my wife really wanted to go to collingwood. I booked on Travelocity like I usually do, and must say I've never had anything but good things to say about Travelocity.

We get to the resort and the lobby is packed with a young wedding party waiting to head over to the ceremony, minor inconvenience I figured it's a special day after all, but it was intensely loud in there. I give the receptionist (1 of 2 to sign in about 40 travelers) my confirmation and I get a look mixed with confusion and panic. After being sent over to the bar and waiting in their tacky, beat up chairs circa 1987 a manager comes and finds us and tells me to call Travelocity. They take us into a shabby conference room away from all the noise where I can use a phone. I get a hold of a rep with Travelocity and they find my file nearly right away, I tell them the problem and they explained to me that they sent the confirmation to the hotel the instant my credit card cleared. Cranberry had over booked.
Naturally, the manager claimed it was travelocitys fault and there was nothing they could do to give us a room, she basically said sorry and pointed us to the door. Meanwhile Travelocity was on the hunt for another room somewhere in town to no avail. They went as far as offering us a 4 star room in Barrie for free, but I expressed I had no interest in staying at Barrie, but atleast they tried.
I'm not sure who was at fault here, the agency I've dealt with on numerous occasions with nothing but good things to say, or the sketchy 'resort' with zero accountability.
Not sure if I'll deal with Travelocity again as I find Priceline to be even better, but I definitely won't go to the cranberry.

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank stanandmandy
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed at the Waterfront Suites in a one bedroom condo overlooking the marina. The room was very spacious for four people. We hardly heard anything from other suites and I actually slept well, which is unusual for a hotel.

I decided to cook most of our meals in the room. Everything we needed was there to cook a proper meal. We ate at the buffet for breakfast each morning. It seemed hit or miss. The first day day was great. The kids commented on the "best pancakes ever" and the french toast was delicious. But the next day, no pancakes thoughout breakfast and the french toast wasn't cooked enough. I actually left pieces that looked like raw egg on my plate. We didn't eat any other meals at the restaurant, so I can't comment.

The kids enjoyed the outdoor pool connected to the rec centre. It had a slide which was always a hit. The had complimentary xbox and wii inside the rec centre, but it was usually being played, so my kids didn't get to. They played some shuffleboard (free) and a few video games ($). Also played some basketball while my younger son enjoyed the playground, all right next to the pool. My only complaint was that there was absolutely no shade in these areas, and the equivalent of 2 lawn chairs could get some shade at the pool. The rec centre offers a lot of activities for the kids (mine are 11 and 7), such as scavenger hunts, frog catching, poolside bingo, etc.

We visited the Scenic Caves. An absolute must visit.

We had an enjoyable stay and would most likely return next year.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

we are lucky that this week is sunny .. no more rain .. and we can do everything we planned, hiking, swimming, golf, bike, tennis, ... and outdoor bbq .. except the recreation center is a bit outdated and they don't have any bike good for my 7 yrs old .. I will bring our own bikes next time when we go to resort. we didn't know they have pontoon cruises ... but we ran out of time .. we will do so next time when we come again .. I wish they have told us when we book. Summary: reasonable rates, lots of outdoor activities, nice staff, good food. just wish that is closer to hwy 400. driving on hwy 26 is slow., not fun, but ok ..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
#6 of 8 in Blue Mountains
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Cranberry Resort? Share your experiences!