“A wonderful place to celebrate our 10th Anniversary”

Willow Trace Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 9 Collingwood B&B and Inns
Mississauga, Canada
“A wonderful place to celebrate our 10th Anniversary”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Hospitality was warm and very friendly. The hosts were engaging in both their commentary on "things-to-do' in and around Collingwood as well as on/about their own property. The food was the best of any B&B that my wife & I have experienced either in Canada or the US. "Date Night" with Chef Philip and Sous-chef Leanne was a real treat from a learning perspective as well as a tasting event. The accomodation was spacious and clean ......... a definite re-visit site on our list of memorable locations.

Thanks & best regards, Elaine & Wayne Cullen ( Mississauga., Ontario )

Room Tip: Suite over the garage looks out over the back of the property which provides a great view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Toronto
Reviewed May 31, 2012

It is definitely over rated and I am wondering who are those people giving such good compliments. We kinda trusted these ratings and it was far away from Excellent...

We have stayed in one of the rooms recently, and the room is stuffy and not clean. I am not sure when is the last time they really cleaned. lots of dust.. The cotton and cotton swabs provided in the bathroom looked old and yellow.. the sink was not cleaned properly..
I have stayed more than 10 B&B and this place is the least cleanest place. The towels are worn out and all yellow and so stinky. We had to use our own beach towels..

The bed sheets...again, worn out and full of stain and bad smell! I can describe exactly how it smelled. It smelled like a guys' shirt soaked with their sweat after exercising for many hours.
My friend have to sleep on top of the bed with her own blanket, she felt a little ittchy.
I slept inside of their blanket, and guess what,, when I woke up in the morning, my pyjama smelled so bad..

I have to admit the breakfast was excellent! It was really good. Also they have a free WIFI and movies(NET FLEX) you can watch in your room. but I would not come back. It is just not clean enough for the price they are asking for. Plus, it is very business oriented way of welcoming their guests, which I found a bit cold.

They are very good at advertising their business, look at their website, nicely advertised. But the reality is so different from what you see on their website. If you doubt, please go and check by yourself and share your experience here on this website.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Love Road trip H
philipcollingwood, Owner at Willow Trace Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
I would like address the two reviews that are posted on Trip Advisor by 83 world traveller and love road trip H

The two young ladies phoned to make a reservation for the English room, the day before arrival they phone to see if they could add cot to their room as a young man was going to stay with them.
Due to the size of the English room I upgraded them to the larger room (the Studio room) to accommodate the extra person at no extra charge for the larger room.
With their concerns about the room being stuffy, there are windows on three out of the four walls, a ceiling fan and air conditioning.
As for the yellow sheets, they are ivory colour 800 count Egyptian cotton, and are freshly washed and ironed for every guest.
We put fresh towels (ivory coloured), cotton buds and make up remover pads in each bathroom every time for new guests. (Along with soap, shampoo and conditioner).
We offer a menu for the breakfast in the morning with multiple choices for the hot food, in addition to their choices that they had made, they asked for an additional entrée to share afterwards, this is not unusual and we are always willing to accommodate. The following morning at the breakfast table I asked how everything was and if they slept well, and how their evening was. It was at this time I introduced myself to the young man (he had arrived the evening before but as we were out we didn’t get to meet him) . At know time, did they express any concern or comments about the room. My husband came in after he made breakfast and asked how it was, at this time he introduced himself to the young man and shook his hand.
After breakfast, they paid, we gave them some cookies for their journey home and gave them directions to Wasaga Beach and they left. At no point in their stay did they suggest or hint that they were not happy with our accommodations.
When we read on trip advisor that the two girls had had a disappointing stay with us, we tried to contact them on three occasions to come back and stay with us for free but never received a response.
The following day after their stay the room was occupied by another couple and you can read her review on Trip Advisor (gixxerl)

So I hope anyone reading these reviews will take in account, the positives reviews we have had, and understand that I consider these reviews are malicious.

We try our very best and care about giving our guest an exceptional experience. We have been operating our B &B for 5 years, and have been in the hospitality business for over 25 years, we do not understand why they would write these reviews, and be unwilling to talk to us directly.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2012

With more than 30 excellent or very good reviews, I had very high expectations for this B&B. My review will be an exception to the many that have given it outstanding comments. All I can say is that I'm glad we were only booked there for one night, rather than the two we had originally planned on.
First the positives....The location is good. The owners were also kind enough to accommodate some of our last-minute arrangements and provide some suggestions what to do in the area. They even gave us home-baked cookies for the road.

But the quality and cleanliness of the facilities was a disappointment. The bedroom struck me as stuffy and dirty. Everything, from towels to bed sheets and pillow covers, had a particular smell and a yellowish tinge to it - old and overused. The matress and bed covers were covered with stains. We ended up using our personal towels and I even slept on top of all the blankets because I didn't want to get in between the sheets. I camp out a lot and this is defnitely few notches above that. But I expect better quality for this kind of money.

Unlike so many reviewers, we didn't feel welcome. It wasn't a warm and inviting environment. I didn't feel as if anyone took a genuine interest in our stay. My impression was: "yes, this is a business and that's all it is".

Breakfast was the one redeeming quality about our stay. It was probably one of the best breakfasts I have had at a B&B. Well worth the money. You can order one meal per person (pancakes, omelettes, cinnamon French toast, etc.). We wanted to have an extra sweet pancake dish to be shared amongst us. Although the owners obliged, they made us feel extremely uncomfortable about having done that.

I have stayed at many B&Bs and this was the first that 'inspired' me to write a review. It's just that we are still surprised to read so many good comments and are not sure what went wrong on our end. The best thing would be to judge for yourself.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank 83WorldTraveller

Stratford, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed only one night here this past weekend and plan on returning for a longer stay. We had the Studio Room, very private, clean, comfortable and cozy. Philip's breakfasts are very special...eggs from their chickens, homemade sausage and house cured bacon. All preserves are homemade...the honey too...from his own bees!!! You must buy some! It all comes together to make a most memorable start to the morning! Assam tea...just happens to be our favourite!
You are only minutes from downtown Collingwood and Blue Mountain but the surroundings make you feel you are way out in the countryside, so a good night's sleep is no problem.
Leanne and Philip are a lovely couple who run a lovely B&B. Meet them, you'll be very happy you did. Dodger the dog is a sweetie who has both of them trained very well.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Ontario
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Six of my girlfriends and I stayed here for a night for a friend's bachelorette party. The Willow Trace B&B is absolutely beautiful with spacious bedrooms and bathrooms, a games room and bar, an outdoor pool and patio, and much more. Initially, I was apprehensive about the distance from the B&B to The Village, as we planned to go out for dinner and drinks there; however, the B&B is a convenient 7 minute drive from of The Village, which was great. In addition, it was an affordable option to staying in The Village.

I can't say enough about Leanne and Philip, the couple who run the B&B. They were extremely patient, helpful and accommodating when we were coordinating our stay (organizing six girls isn't always easy) and since there were six of us, we were lucky enough to be offered the entire B&B for our stay. Upon arrival, we were blown away by how breathtaking the B&B was and spent a good amount of time walking around the grounds taking pictures. Philip greeted us shortly thereafter, gave us a brief tour of the house and recommended a number of great restaurants and fun things to do in the area.

The B&B also offers various culinary classes on-site, so the six of us booked a private, 2-hour chocolate cooking class during our stay, which was fun and informative. The culinary facility was incredible and we were able to take home a number of goodies from our class. The next morning, we were served the most delicious breakfast. In addition to fresh fruit, croissants, yogurt and various juices, guests have an opportunity to order a hot meal from the menu they provide. Overall, I highly recommend the Willow Trace B&B to anyone looking for a nice relaxing stay in the Collingwood area, whether you're a couple, or traveling with a group of people. It was especially fun for us to have the entire B&B to ourselves.

Room Tip: All of the rooms were amazing, but we especially enjoyed the room on the lower lever, which offered...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Yorkshire
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We contacted the B & B on spec. as we had not booked. Philip could not have been more helpful, or welcoming and we were given the large Garden Room, beautifully appointed and furnished. Because of their previous bookings we changed rooms next day, and nothing was too much trouble.... a wonderful room over the cookery school, with a great outlook over the garden. Breakfasts are everything the previous reviews have stated. I just we had more time to have stayed there longer!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I stayed last night at Willow Trace B&B. I needed a break from the city and decided to visit Collingwood to get away. The reviews on here already are all true! I was coming by Greyhound and Leanne and Philip offered to collect me from the bus and even loan me a bicycle to get around during my stay! My room was perfect, very private and quiet. I took a dip in the pool and sat by the pool for a while reading and relaxing. I watched all of Blackadder season 2 as well, from their enormous DVD selection! The breakfast was amazing but so enormous I felt bad to be wasting some food! It powered me up for my morning hike! The house is beautiful and easy to find. I intend to visit again when I come back, and this time bring a car, this area was not built for us city folk who rely on public transit! 5 out of 5 for the B&B!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Michelleeire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Days Inn & Suites Collingwood
Blue Mountain Inn
Blue Mountain Inn
#4 of 8 in Blue Mountains
Craigleith Manor Bed and Breakfast

Been to Willow Trace Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!