“Mediocre Quality, Pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cottage Bar & Grill - CLOSED

The Cottage Bar & Grill
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Switzerland, Florida
“Mediocre Quality, Pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I ate there in early October 2013. The interior design was that of a medium class sports bar, the waitress wiped the table and left it wet and they played the usual junk "music" too loudly. My hamburger was okay but was missing the slice of onion and the bun was moist and crumpled. I wouldn't go back there unless I couldn't find anything else.
Twenty some years ago Huntsville had a memorable restaurant called "Peter's Fine Dining". Back in the 90's we made a point of going there on every trip to Algonquin and we still talk about how good the food was - especially prime rib. The Cottage should have learned something from Peter.
The Cottage does have a deck next to the water and would be a good choice for a cold beer on a warm day.

• Visited October 2013

Manlius, New York
“Unremarkable lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We seem to expect more when we are in Huntsville! We have eaten here before...not sure we will again! My husband have the steak sandwich special, the sandwich was good the coleslaw seemed like leftovers added to...I had the build your own sandwich. I chose chicken breast on a wheat roll w/the smokehouse added. It was OK...not good/not bad. Only 2 waitresses with a large area to cover...service was OK. Outside eating is great there we sat inside...it was a bit cool inside seating OK...

Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
“Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

The strangest thing about going to the cottage bar and grill is that we thought that it was empty when we arrived and didn't see anyone as we entered the door. Phew! we saw a waitress walking towards us from outside the back who told us to go out the back and take a seat. Well! another world opened by the riverside scene which was calm, quiet and beautiful. Before finding the restaurant we were driving across the river and saw people sitting outside on the deck and thought that we would like that experience. As it happens we received it and it was excellent. The menu was straightforward and the food was simple and great for the pallette. The service was good and to eat here is not a mistake.

One of the mistake that we made was not getting coupons ahead of time from our hotel to get us a discount on our already reasonably priced meal.

Great view...

North Tonawanda, NY
“A cool restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Each year during our vacation to the Lake of Bays, we spend time in Huntsville. We always make sure we stop at The Cottage for cocktails and lunches/dinners. The staff is very attentive and professionally friendly. Their menu is just right for a wonderful location on the water.
Lester Wedekindt, Buffalo, NY

• Visited August 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Pretty bad but...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I only have one good thing to say about this restaurant and I'll add it at the end of my bad review.

We were a group of 11. No problem getting a table as we had a reservation.
The server was nice but didn't know the menu at all.
My husband ordered nachos for apps without any type of onions and no jalapenos. She said that there's no onions so not to worry.
Apps came full of green onions. We sent it back. It comes back 20 minutes later, full of jalapenos and nachos burnt (they probably re-used the chips that was sent to us in the 1st time). We sent it back and told her to forget about it, we don't want it anymore as everyone was already getting their entrees.
For my child, I asked for the sliders, asking her to make them with cheese, that I didn't mind paying the extra. She tells me that they already come with cheese.
You guess, it, sliders comes, NO CHEESE. Server never comes back to see us. We have to go inside to get her, she's busy, will be with us in a while. She comes 10 minutes later. I told her about the cheese, she apologize and is about to leave. I tell her that I asked for cheese, I want cheese. She said she'll bring the cheese. I told her that the sliders have been on the table for OVER 15 minutes, they are cold, I want new ones WITH cheese made.
We get them, 35 minutes later. This is FOR A 3 y/o CHILD!!!.
I couldn't believe it. I told her that I expect the manager to take it out of my bill, did not ask, did not give her a choice.

Now, for me, I asked for a Souvlaki and instead of the rice, to give me French fries. Well, I'm sure you know the rest, when it arrived, no fries. Again, server never came back so I had to go get her and had to wait 20 minutes for my fries. 20 mins for FRIES???????????

She gave only 2 pitchers of water for 11 people, never came back to ask if we needed more. We had to ask for water at the end of our dinner.

The ONLY good thing about this place is their poutine. Hubby ordered a traditional poutine and it IS very good. I'm from Quebec so I know my poutines!!!! But that's it, that's all that was good from our experience.

We will NEVER go back.