“Newer motel”

Econolodge Huntsville
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We booked through Expedia few days prior to our trip. Not much else was available... Typical motel but newer. Thin walls... Breakfast - scarse, pure carbs... Bathroom newer, clean. Internet did not work. Location - OK, nothing special. Overpriced like everything else in Huntsville... OK for an overnight stopover. Next time will book in advance - to have more and better choices.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 8, 2010

Dealing with the stuff in the hotel is a nightmare!

I booked 3 rooms for $103 per room on 8/Sep/2010 for staying 1 night at 2/Oct/2010 through Eserus as our company is affiliated with it.

When we tried to check in at around 8pm, the lady at the reception asked the each room should show corporate ID. I total her that we are on vacation and didn’t bring any corporate ID. She refused to check us in at the discounted corporate price and told me that she can easily give our room at $189 at to a walk in client!

I requested to call the hotel manager and tell her that in my reservation confirmation there is no where stated that we should bring our corporate ID and no body tell me in advance I should bring it with me. She said that she left me a voice mail on 30/Sep(2 days before the check in date) to remind me to bring it(which is true) but I was not in office so I didn’t get the message
Then I searched my wallet for every card trying to find something with my company logo and luckily I find my heath benefits card with my company logo. I thought now everything should be settled but she still won’t let us check in with rate $103 for the other 2 rooms – the other 2 rooms should still pay $149!

I was so frustrated and the front desk lady asked us to leave the hotel as she was eager to give our room to the walk-in client! Both sides agree to call police to find a solution but when the police come, she already gave 1 of our room to the walk in client!

We were so angry and decide to leave the hotel at around 10pm and drove 3 hours back home to Toronto and escalate this issue to higher management! The hotel staff were completely money driven and without professionalism.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank coo007
econolodgehutnsville, General Manager at Econolodge Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2011

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your problem at Econolodge,huntsville. Your comments towards our staff were very generous and will certainly be passed along to them.
As a guest they should have to provide identification for discount had given by choice hotel.Choice hotel had informed them with thier confirmation by email to bring thier corporate id and as a manager i had called to phone number was given to us and left a massage to bring thier identification .
They reserved three rooms under thier compny discount at $103(regular rate was $149).As a policy we can give discount to person who is working for this compny .Only one person was working for this compny and reserved two other rooms for their friends.We offerd other two rooms at 10% off our regular rate .We tried our best to accomodate this customer.we offer them to check in for one room and then they can decide if they still wants to stay or not.They waited about two hours in lobby .We asked them to decide what they wants to do.it was 10pm they still not sure what they wants to do.They were screaming and threatening my staff that they will write on internet and call pollice if we don't rent this rooms at rate was given.
We talked to choice hotel reservation office and ask them what we suppose to do as per their instruction they said if guest can not provide thier id for rate was given and they don't want to stay then we have to charge them for empty room if we can not rent it.We don't had a choice to rent it out to walking guest after they don't want to stay and we don't wants to charge them for empty rooms after late night.They called pollice.Police said same thing they can not do anything about it they have to provide thier id for proof to get discount or stay at rate was offered by hotel. they decide to go home.

Thank you for considering this response.we were not trying to make money we trying to follow our policy to treat all customer same.

Diana
Econolodge,Huntsville

Reviewed September 18, 2010

I was surprised by the quality of the room. I stayed one night in a double bedroom. The room is very good, good size and looks brand new. The bathroom was very clean and new too. Don't book through Hotels.com I got a better price calling the hotel directly.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Booked ahead for one night based on Tripadvisor comments. Place is 3 years old so consequently in excellent condition and spotless. Fridge, LCD TV/cable, HVAC, wireless, all first rate. Paid $72 plus tax which is crazy cheap. For comparison purposes, the Holiday Inn, same condition, was $142. and outside of town (stayed there last year). Econo Lodge is no more than a leisurely 10 minute walk to the bridge (center) of town which is a must for us. We booze it up in the room and then walk for dinner so this place accommodated nicely.

Don't eat breakfast in these places so no comment. Learned that there are NO adjoining rooms on the premises so a big plus in my book. Cannot comment on noise level due to only a few guests based on the near empty parking lot. Doors are your typical heavy fire proof doors so I'm sure it's not a place for sleeping late undisturbed, although I haven't heard a soul.

Meal recommendations: Again, as per Tripadvisor, we sampled Louis II right downtown and the chicken slovaki on rice with Greek salad was 5 star. 10 bucks each ... what a steal. Last year I went to 3 Men and a Stove or whatever it was called and paid an easy 70 bucks for mediocre fare. Live and learn. Thank you TA.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Was nervous booking an "Econo Lodge" based on some past experiences with the chain over the years in the US. However we were pleasantly surprised at this renovated, modern location. I travelled with my wife and elderly parents who got an adjoining room. Rooms were clean and comfortable and practical. Owners/Operators seemed to be on top of things from cleaning the rooms to ensuring everything was setup and replenished for the contintental breakfast each morning.
We stayed for (3) nights and enjoyed ourselves. Best part was the hot iron waffles you could make in the morning!

Rooms were nicely renovated and kept clean. Not a bad location in Huntsville, however not a lot to do right there - would probably stay elsewhere in Muskoka in the future. But if you are planning to be in Huntsville, would certainly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Nice stay, room was spacious and clean. The four stars for the value was primarily to do with the parking. We used to return to the hotel late everynight (for the 2 nights that we stayed) and the Parking Lot was totally packed. Not sure if this had to do with the Hotel being full due to the Long Weekend. Apart from that, it was a nice place for the rate we paid.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We were a bit taken back when we choose this room because it was a newer hotel in Huntsville. We asked for a room with one bed that was not close to anything with vibrations ( ice machine , laundry room .. ) and were quoted a good price. When we arrived our room was an ajoining room on the floor level with a scary contraption on the window that read something like " stand clear as this may fall at anytime ". We asked for a second floor room and were charged an addition 5 or 6 dollars for it because there were only 2 beds in all the second floor rooms. We asked for the wireless internet code and were given a cord to plug in our laptop into the wall which wasn't any longer than 2 feet so you could not sit on the bed and work on computer. (and we had to carry our luggage up a long flight of stairs)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple