“A Wonderful 5 Generation Tradition”
Review of Cedar Grove Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huntsville
Cedar Grove Lodge
New York
“A Wonderful 5 Generation Tradition”
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I have many fond memories of my times spent at Cedar Grove Lodge. My family has been going to Cedar Grove for 69 consecutive years. My grandmother's family started this tradition back when she was 18 years old and we have continued it on. Every summer my family goes up for 10 days of pure pleasure. We now have five generations that have attended because this past August I was able to bring my 3 month old daughter up as well. My wife and I look forward to the day when our children are old enough to play in the water, go waterskiing and build sandcastles.

My family absolutely loves it up there. The cabins are beautiful, immaculate and very homey; each cabin unique in its own special way. The food is fantastic, the workers are pleasant and the scenery is breathtaking. We really feel like we are on top of the world when we are up there. We vacation at Cedar Grove at least two times a year. We always go in the summer and either in the fall or winter each year as well. It is wonderful in the summer because you can do many of the water activities and relax in the sun. In the fall, the changing leaves are a striking backdrop to one of the most relaxing atmospheres on earth. In the winter we go ice skating, cross country skiing or just sit in our cabin with some drinks and games in front of a warm fire. It is without question our favorite place to vacation!

We have brought many of our friends up with us to enjoy what this special place has to offer, and the fact they are all return vacationers sums their view of Cedar Grove up.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank bellamarie123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
SW, Ontario
Reviewed September 6, 2007

I like Cedar Grove. I like the log cottages and the setting in a cove surrounded by a forest. We first discovered Cedar Grove in 1995 and have stayed in a number of different cottages - starting out small and moving to larger accommodation as our family grew. Even our dog likes Cedar Grove. Nanook our husky/shepherd knows that this is the one place in the world where he will be tied, but he is just happy to be with us. He starts to whimper with excitement when we turn down the road off Hwy #60. He knows where he is!

As for the kids, they like the waterfront. In the summer they like to fish first thing in the morning and last thing at night. During the heat of the day, we all can be found swimming, water skiing or tubing.

We have spent two Thanksgivings there and like the show of fall colour across the lake and in Algonquin Park. It’s nice to just arrive at the dinning room for Thanksgiving dinner, all the preparation and clean up taken care of. If you ask, after everyone has been served, they will bring seconds of pumpkin pie. (Our whole table had seconds last time.)

Since the log cottages are winterized, we have enjoyed warm blazing fires after a day of cross-country skiing. I like warming up by a fire on the beach after skating or ice fishing on the lake.

The Americans that we have met there say that they like it for many things including the Canadian wilderness ("It’s so clean" ) and the all-inclusive plan. They tell us that they don’t have "the American Plan" back home and can’t figure out how it got that name. However it was named, it’s great to have a full breakfast, lunch and dinner included in one price, rather than a pay as you go restaurant.

My two favorite things are the pontoon boat ride to Huntsville to shop and the BBQ lunch at the point. Cedar Grove is a high recommend.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank ResorTraveller
New York
Reviewed September 5, 2007

This Sept was the second time my husband and I stayed at Cedar Grove and we loved every minute of it. We were introduced to this wonderful place by close friends of ours who invited us up with them last October. We went last October and it a piece of paradise. We were greeted with a professional and friendly staff and had great food every day. upon checking out we book for this past labor day with the same couple who introduced us to Cedar Grove. Our friends go to Cedar Grove Labor day week with their family every year for MANY years. This trip it was my husband, myself, our 8 month baby, and our 2 dogs. We had such a good time yet again. The staff was so nice and friendly, and were willing to help with anything. Each day, they had water events, which helped keep you busy and the kids busy. They had a great beach area, with a trampoline and slide in the water, along with paddle boats, canoes, and row boats. The scenery itself, would allow anyone to have such a peaceful and pleasant time, but the fact that the staff makes you feel "right at home" is a complete bonus. My husband and I, along with our baby and dogs are going again this October with the same friends. After listening this past weekend to our friends family reminicing about all years they have been going to Cedar Grove, we plan on going every year in Sept and Oct so we too can create a lifetime of memories with our family. I can not express enough that Cedar Grove is a great place to get away from every day stress and just enjoy the scenary.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank HigginsNY
BrandonTownship, Michigan
Reviewed August 25, 2007

How can you describe heaven on earth. Cedar Grove Lodge instills memories of days of yore, yet has kept up with todays expectations. I have been coming to Cedar Grove Lodge for 56 years as of today, my birthday and anniversary. My husband and I were married on the dock here. I travel all over the world in my business and stay in many 5 star resorts and hotels. Cedar Grove Lodge is always the place I hold true in my heart. We come here twice a year in August and February, when work allows. The ambience of Cedar Trees and the views of Peninsula Lake are breathtaking. The Flemings, Gary, Barb and Jeremy, always treat everyone that enters the doors as family. The dining room holds true to any five star cuisine. From the entrees to the homemade deserts from breakfast, lunch and dinner. Bonnie, and her staff, have a smile for everyone and will remember you even as a newcomer. The entire staff treats you as a loving relative. 19 beautifully established cottages allow an intimacy of your own family vacation. You can waterski, take out any non motorized watercraft, fish on the dock, canoe, at no extra charge. Cedar Grove Lodge is the place to vacation. And once will be all it takes to draw you in for return visits year after year. This will be your vacation home for years to come. We highly recommend this secret piece of paradise.

• Liked — Relaxation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank kikstir
Brantford
Reviewed August 22, 2007

We travelled from Brantford to visit Cedar Grove - it was our 3rd visit over a period of 10 years. As always, we had a wonderful time. This lodge has a home like atmosphere where you can kick back and relax. We enjoy leaving our busy Southern Ontario lives behind to recharge. This year was even more fun as we had our four children with us. They had a great time playing on the beach, using the water trampoline and "tubing" for the first time.

As always the surroundings were fantastic and the staff were friendly and outgoing.

As a former worker in the accommodations industry we give the lodge a thumbs up and look forward to another visit.

• Liked — the friedly atmosphere
  • Disliked — the busy drive up the 400
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank susan1972
Oshawa
Reviewed August 20, 2007

This is an amazing place to spend a holiday! The lodge is a family-operated venture and they treat their guests like family members taking a personal interest in each and every one. Most people rebook their cabins when they leave, so you can make many friends that you see year after year. We have been going here for many years and we have no complaints about the food, staff, or the experience in general. The housekeepers take pride in the way that they organize and clean the cabins for the guests; we have dogs and our housekeeper, Rhonda, never complains about having to vacuum perhaps more than other cabins. The dining room manager, Bonnie, has been there for over forty years and she takes a personal interest in everyone whether they be newcomers or old friends. The owners, Gary and Barb Fleming, and their son Jeremy, are always courteous and genuinely friendly. Any problems with the cabins are attended to in an expedient manner. The amenities for all age groups are extensive: waterskiing, cruises, games, wildlife presentations, fishing trips, movies etc. If you don't want to join in then you can relax to your heart's content on the veranda of your cabin. You can't find an experience any better than this one! Their rates are competitive and yet you get fantastic value for your dollar. We visit here for three weeks a year and we can hardly wait to return when it is our time to check out. Of all the lodges out there, this is the absolute best!

• Liked — private cabins with meals taken in a main dining room
  • Disliked — no complaints at all
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PEMOshawa
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2007

We returned to the Cedar Grove Lodge this year for the May long weekend. This was the third year in a row that our group of three couples plus children had spent the long weekend at Cedar Grove. We left Burlington in an excited mood, looking forward to our getaway. We arrived to discover that the cottage we had prebooked an entire year ago, at the end of last year's long weekend, was now under construction, and that construction had commenced only that week.

As each of the cottages at the resort are different sizes and with different degrees of rustic charm, we were unhappy to hear this. We were told that the only cottage available to us was a much newer, and less charming cottage, located on the top of a hill with a steep flight of steps leading up to the deck and front door. As we have two small children, aged five and two and I was then seven and a half months pregnant, we were not happy to hear that this was the only cottage available. The cottage we had reserved was three bedrooms rather than the two available in the replacement cottage, and it was located in the middle of a large flat lawn without any stairs leading to the deck or front door.
When we expressed our concerns to the person who was checking us in (the son of the owners, as it turned out), he told us this was the only cottage available, and if we didn't like it, we could "go back to Toronto". So there we were, I, seven and a half months pregnant, with my two small children who had only just been released from their four-hour car ride from Burlington (west of Toronto), and my husband, being told to turn around and go home if we didn't like the alternate accommodation.

We explained again that it would be very difficult for us to stay in a cottage with that layout, that we would be unable to use the deck at all, since we would be too far from the children if they were playing at the bottom of the hill, that the stairs were much too steep for them to play on the deck at the top, and that the stairs would be difficult for me because I was pregnant. His response? He turned his back on us and stomped away without another word. We stood at the front desk for ten minutes, waiting, with me in tears, before he came back.

When he returned, again, he told us to go look at the cottage, and if we didn't like it we could leave. This was on the Friday evening of the long weekend. We pointed out that there was nowhere else for us to go. He said he would help us find a motel room on the highway. We pointed out that we were repeat customers, that this was the third year in a row we had visited, and that there were two other couples, renting two other cottages, in our group who had not yet arrived. We pointed out that we had booked the cottage a year ago. He was unmoved. No apologies, no acknowledgement that a mistake had been made, no efforts to make us feel happy or comfortable. Just a "take it or leave" attitude. The fact that I was very pregnant and obviously upset (in tears), made no impression at all. My husband and I were frankly, shocked. We couldn't believe that this was happening.

We agreed to look at the alternate cottage, and decided we really had no choice but to take it and try to make the best of the situation.
When we returned to the front desk, we told him we would take the cottage and he then did apologise to us for the first time. Since he now seemed to be more open to listening to us, we tried to explain again that we were not trying to be difficult, and that we wanted him to understand that the location at the top of the hill with the steep stairs was really going to be an inconvenience to us (since we had no choice but to stay there). I guess we expected that he would apologise again and say something like, he hoped we were able to enjoy our stay anyway. But no. Instead he said "You Toronto people are all the same. I can see now what kind of people you are. I'm sorry I apologised to you. I think you should go back to Toronto." This was upsetting on a number of levels, not least because we are not actually from Toronto.

We asked if there was anyone else we could speak to. He said his parents, but his father had a heart condition and it would cause him too much stress to talk to us, and his mother, but his mother "has been doing this for too long and she has no patience at all any more. If you try to talk to her about it, she will just tell you to leave."

We shook our heads, decided there was no point in speaking to him any further, and went into Hunstville while we waited for the rest of our group (all of whom are professionals in their late thirties), to arrive.

The next morning, my husband went to the front desk to sign up for the pontoon boat ride included with our stay. I entered the room with one of the other couples in our group, in time to hear the mother/owner (who was now working at the front desk), say to my husband, who had made no mention at all of the exchange the night before: "Are you one of the people staying in Loon Cottage? You owe my son an apology." He was very taken aback by this, as we had decided not to raise the issue any more and just get on with our weeknd, but as he started to respond she cut him off without listening, saying: "That's all right, you won't be back next year."

My two friends, who overheard this entire exchange, just gaped at her and me. When we got outside the main lodge, they turned to us and said that this made THEM feel like packing up and leaving, and they had not even been there for the exchange of the night before. We all decided to stay for the weekend and try to salvage what we could of the situation, but it really cast a pall over our entire stay.

When we checked out, no one in our group was asked if we would like to make a return booking for next year, even though the other two couples had also been visiting for the past three years in a row and had not been involved at all in the discussions with the owners. No one apologised to us, and there was certainly no suggestion that we would be offered any kind of a discount as a result of the inconvenience from the changed cottage.

We were upset and disappointed by the entire experience, particularly as we had been visiting with our children for several years, and had every intention of making it an annual tradition for them.

They were right - we will not be back next year.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family