“A Picky Traveler's Review”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huntsville
Swallowdale Inn B & B
Ranked #3 of 22 Huntsville B&B and Inns
London, Ontario
“A Picky Traveler's Review”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

A Picky Traveler's Review
I am the first to admit that I am very picky when I travel, to the point that my travel agent panics every time I walk into her office. With that said, I myself went into panic mode when my husband told me he booked a surprise romantic getaway for the two of us at Swallowdale B&B. Having never stayed in a B&B before, he decided to trust the reviewers of Trip Advisor and just book it. I have to admit, once I found out about his little surprise, the first place I checked was Trip Advisor to see what other reviewers had to say. When I saw that all reviewers were giving Swallowdale 5 stars, well I became a little suspicious to say the least (is this just friends and family of the owners writing the reviews?). To be honest, I almost cancelled the weekend because I was that suspicious but boy, am I so glad I didn't.

Everything that past reviewers have said is absolutely true. Everything about Swallowdale; the property itself, the hosts (Isabelle & Michael), the lake, the location and lets not forget the incredible breakfasts, were absolutely perfect. People who know me, know I don’t often give recommend places but when it comes to Swallowdale, I have no qualms at all about recommending it. Never before in my travels have I returned to the same place twice, but I can guarantee you that I will be back to Swallowdale and just not one more time, but we might just make it a yearly trip now.

Ok, what you need to know…we stayed in the Lakeside room and it’s gorgeous. This beautifully decorated room has a queen size bed and patio doors that lead to your own private deck that overlooks the lake. The majority of rooms have their own bathroom facilities so there is no need to share. The common areas include a living room area with a large flat screen TV and a beautiful sunroom (which is a wonderful place to relax as well as have breakfast. Speaking of breakfast, they were absolutely wonderful. When we arrived, we were asked if we had any dislikes food wise, which we didn’t, but I’m sure they would be very accommodating if you did. The hosts have their own part of the house, so you don’t feel like you’re intruding on their lives. The living room also has a coffee area (so you can help yourself throughout the day) as well as a fridge in case you like to bring your own beverages. There is amble glassware available at your disposal. The dock was one of my favorite spots to just relax with a glass of wine and read my book. The entrance into the water is very sandy and the water is very shallow for quite some distance. There is a canoe (including paddles and safety equipment) as well as a paddle-boat at your disposal if you feel like investigating the lake.

The property itself and surrounding area: The B&B is between Huntsville and Algonquin Park which makes it a prime location. We are avid lovers of Algonquin Park but usually camp in the Park with our family. Staying at Swallowdale gave us the opportunity to enjoy one of Ontario’s most beautiful parks during the day and then travel into Huntsville for a delicious dinner in the evening. Warning, if you do the Mizzy Trail during the summer, makes sure you pack bug spray.

Bottom line from this traveler…don’t think twice about it, I guarantee you’ll love it. If I could give them more than 5 stars I would. We will definitely be returning and I’m going to make a point to let my travel agent in on this little hidden gem so others may have the opportunity to enjoy it too. Thank you Isabella and Michael for everything, you've made our first B&B experience a very special one. Good luck with your daughter’s wedding.

Room Tip: I loved the Lakeview Room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael K, Owner at Swallowdale Inn B & B, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Wow!! Just wow! What can we say but thank you so much. We know from a decade of experience that people want a pleasant location, a friendly atmosphere where they can chat or not as they wish, and big breakfast! We try to provide those essentials. Many many thanks. We look forward to seeing you again - and again!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is the third time that I have stayed at Swallowdale Inn but the first time in the Summer. The peonies were in full bloom and it was a treat to read my book on the new dock. We were very comfortable in the Rose Room. Swallowdale Inn is a standout for the lake front location and the common rooms. There is a huge room with a flat screen tv where we had a great time watching movies with the other guests. There is also a sun room but we spent most of the time outside enjoying the view of the lake. We were there for Canada Day and there were fireworks!
We hiked Mizzy Lake in Algonquin on the first day, saw beaver, turtles, butterflies and lots of birds, moose and deer on the road and a great blue heron at Swallowdale by the dock.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, you should come for the breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Michael K, Owner at Swallowdale Inn B & B, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
What a terrific review, many many thanks. The fireworks were indeed fun! Of course, the echoing sound of the bangs across the lake were part of the fun as were the marshmallows round the campfire. We look forward to seeing you again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I highly recommend this B&B. Tucked into a beautiful setting on Fairy Lake, only about a 10minute drive from Huntsville, is a beautiful, open, roomy B&B.
Our host, Michael Kay was very congenial and set out one the best breakfasts one could ever hope for. His muffins, tea biscuits and pancakes were soo delicate and tender and there was no need for lunch.
The property the B&B sits on has beautiful gardens, and the view is stunning.
Rooms are quaint, clean and comfortable and ‘B&B –ers’ have their own part in the house, including a sunroom, small frig, coffee supplies, large living room with wide screen TV, DVD’s, and books galore. There were 2 cats who were happy to make your acquaintance. You’re encouraged to make good use of the dock, where you can relax and soak up the sun or enjoy a stunning sunset view.
Did I like our stay there? Oh yeah!!

Room Tip: Room main floor front has it's own fireplace, stunning view and deck...(i think it was called La...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael K, Owner at Swallowdale Inn B & B, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Many thanks for the kind review. We are both thrilled that you so obviously enjoyed the visit. The photos are terrific. Again thank you
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in swallowdale inn for two nights and we really enjoyed our time there. The cottage is located by the lake and the view is perfect for watching the sunset. The room is clean, nice decorated,and extremely quiet. The breakfast is very delicious and Isabel is a great cook. We would strongly recommend this cottage to anyone who is looking for the best B&B in Muskoka.

• Stayed May 2013
Michael K, Owner at Swallowdale Inn B & B, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. Isabel enjoys preparing special breakfasts for our guests; it is one of her favorite parts of being a B&B owner. We like to think we provide a quiet, relaxing atmosphere to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Thank you for letting us give you a few peaceful days.
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed May 27, 2013

To visit Algonquin Park, my sister and I stayed for two nights at this beautiful B&B and we almost wanted to move in there! :) besides the great loacation at an amazing little lake and the super delicious breakfast, the hosts of this B&B are very very nice and helpful in any way! They also have two adorable cats, Buttons and Zipper, the cutest fellows ever! :)
We highly recommend staying at this B&B when you want to visit Algonquin Park. We are definitely going to stay there again, if we come back to Huntsville!
By the way, if you want to see some moose at Algonquin Park, May seems to be quite a good time for that. We saw a lot of moose within only 3 days!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Michael K, Owner at Swallowdale Inn B & B, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
What a terrific review! Thanks you. It was a delight having you with us. I cannot remember anyone having as much luck with moose. Buttons and Zipper have developed a real affection for our guests. Zipper often goes and joins sunbathing guests on the end of the dock. We hope to see you again before you go back to Germany
Vostok
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We loved this place for its great location by the Lake, close to Huntsville. We had the Lakeside room, which has a nice view over the wonderful Fairy Lake. Besides the room, the lounge had a cozy atmosphere with a nice fireplace and a big TV for days with bad weather. Every morning a nice and rich breakfast with fruit, bread and cooked things was prepared for us. Furthermore you can use the canoe, which is a nice addition to an already very good B&B.

Room Tip: Lakeside room has a REALLY nice view over the lake
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael K, Owner at Swallowdale Inn B & B, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you so much for the excellent review. It is always a delight to have guests who are so manifestly enjoying themselves. The Lakeside Room does indeed have a great view down the Lake. You may be interested to know that since your visit we have opened up a new room - the Pine Room - with its own screened in porch and a Lake view. You can see a picture of it on our Facebook page
Erkrath, Germany
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Swallowdale Inn. Isabbel and Michael are very nice hosts and quite creative with the breafast. It was just delicious!! The lake view is stunning and after sunset you might want to enjoy a good book or a film in the guest livingroom in front of the fireplace. We even saw a couple of deer in the garden. Be sure to have your camera ready.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IsabelKay, Owner at Swallowdale Inn B & B, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
It was a delight having you stay with us. The deer are delightful at this time of year when it doesn't matter if they eat the garden!! As to breakfast, we try to make sure our guests start the day well.

Isabel