“Order a pizza from the pizza oven!”

La Dolce Vita Trattoria
Ranked #51 of 86 Restaurants in Huntsville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We are local. We are foodies. And I highly recommend you place an order with the Italian guy who is manning the pizza oven in the summer. Try this for toppings: arugula and 4 cheeses- yummy and you can order it 'take out for under $20'. Other than that...sorry our other main dishes, especially the lamb, was disappointing.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

the menu is split up into apps, pasta, 2nd entrees, dessert, pizza, etc ..

the pizza is not traditional north american pizza.. so you've been warned. the value is also very poor. we got a pizza (the goat cheese tasted terribly off.. like expired or something.. was nothing like goat cheese should ever taste.. ever) .. the pasta we got on two p[lates to split came in large portions even after split on two plates.. we and several othr people brought their small children.. but they had nothing for the kids to eat or do.. we hurredly shovelled our food down our throats while our youngest scribbled patiently on the back of an old menu with the waitress';s pen.

the older lady seating us stopped to answer the rining phone and then stayed answering phones for 20 minutes to say we could then sit anywhere.. friends of ours showed up for their reservation of 5 on time but couldnt sit at any of the open tables because their spcific table was now magically given away while the restauraunt was 1/2 full inside and out on the patio.

this annoyed me that all those tables were open, a reservation was made but they wernt allowed to sit at any of them.

it's expensive... eaten 4 times three now each year, and the food never seems quite right.. something is always off.. we picked off the spoiled goat cheese politely, and ate our heeping piles of under cooked pasta, then took our kids to the nearest drive through feeling bad for them.

the wait staff was excellent... the older lady seating people and in charge of the reservations (owner or manager maybe) was not.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We were looking for a good restaurant in Hunsville and we tried La Dolce Vita. If you are looking for excellent Italian dishes I recommend the Shrimp Diavolo or the Calamari. Especially the calamari. This is quite different from the american style fried calamari. This is a real European dish and I would love to know the secret of this exquisite sauce.

1  Thank Francine B
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We originally booked for 4 people,but one was not feeling well on the evening of. We had asked for an outdoor table. We were given one but for only 2 people. We asked for a larger table, but were denied. Pity. The food here is quite average. The penne was quite good, as was the carbonara. The veal was not, overcooked and far too salty. The appetizers were a little better. Wine by the glass was reasonable. Service was slow,but we expected it because it was busy. Prices were on the higher side for what you got. My biggest annoyance was that the four table next to our cramped two table was never occupied the whole time we were there. Disappointing.

1  Thank george b
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Huntsville, Ontario. The gourmet capital of ... well, nowhere actually. For a town, and region, with so much to attract the hundreds of thousands of tourists who flock here every year, it is a such a monumental disappointment that the food here sucks as much as it does. And boy, does it ever.

So here we are in La Dolce Vita, Hunstsville's contender in the high end Italian stakes. La Dolce Vita makes an outstanding first impression. It is located in a gorgeous building, reportedly 100 years old, spacious, beautifully restored, enticingly presented on the kerbside, and with a delightful signature terrace. So far, so good.

Well not quite. If you are smart, you will have already read up on the views of the many TripAdvisor reviewers in whose footsteps you follow. In particular, your attention has been drawn to the (in)famous Lobster Spaghetti made with Pollack. So your initial impressions are tempered somewhat by notions of "what the heck am I doing here?...". But here we are, so lets make the most of it.

First of all, the menu. Here is the Lobster Spaghetti in all its glory, on the list of Tonight's Specials. Hostess Eve Lucchetta takes our order, and presents the menu. The Lobster Spaghetti is described as comprising a whole lobster oven-baked in its shell. There is no doubt that La Dolce Vita has taken the Pollack debacle to heart, and is doing something about it. Good for them. I'm not a fan of lobster, and neither are any of my dining companions, so we don't order it. But given the brouhaha over this on these pages and elsewhere, it is only fair to mention it. Likewise the dumb criticism of the "canned escargots". As any seasoned gourmet will tell you *all* escargots are served from cans, even in the best restaurants.

So what about the food, then. Well, unimpressive actually. Not to say that it was bad, or faulty, but this is low-end mom & pop Italian food. The fish (blackened snapper) was over-seasoned and over-cooked. My penne toscana was stunningly *ordinary* but nonetheless quite edible, if you know what I mean. I could knock food like this out in my sleep, and probably do it better to be honest. So when I pay $24 for a dish like this, there is really no reason for the chef not to set his bar just a tad higher. I could go on like this and expound on each individual dish, but the story would be the same. Like the meal, I must finish with the desserts. My party of four shared a pair of "Berry Pockets with Zabaglione". All four of us pronounced these absolutely delicious, and ended our meal on a high note.

Service was competent, indeed much better than what would be average for Huntsville, so no complaints there. Hostess Eva included.

Based on their web site, I would conclude that Chef Antoine Farago is a co-owner. My message is, if chef Farago can get his head out of his @$$ and show a little more respect for his customers, then La Dolce Vita has absolutely everything it needs to become the number one restaurant attraction in Huntsville. He needs to dine out at The Norsemen, where everything but the food sucks. The Norsemen's top-tier food served in La Dolce Vita's classic ambiance would be a real killer.

2  Thank Talos