“Best place in Canada I've never seen”
Review of Walker Lake Resort

and 1 more site!
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Ottawa, Canada
“Best place in Canada I've never seen”
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We spent one week end with my parents and my sister in the Walker Lake resort.
We came from France and were in Canada for 20days.
The reason why I rented in the WL resort is because of the good tripadvisor's reviews and we were not disappointed. We went there off peak and we enjoyed the quiet atmosphere.
The cottage was beautiful and we had the feeling to be really close to the wild.
Fireplace/glazed bay/sofa were really appreciated.
We were at less than 15min of Algonquin Park where we made wonderful trails and huntsville where we found food/beverage and other store that we needed.
Also, the owner was really kind and always available for us. He gave usefull informations and helped us to spent a very good time.
I strongly recommend Walker lake Resort and think that i will come back during one summer

• Stayed March 2011

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
ontario
Reviewed February 20, 2011

My husband and I and another couple booked the Spruce cottage for the family day weekend Feb19 and 20 in the middle of Jan. After searching the net for a suitable cottage we settled on this one because it seemed spacious, had a wood stove and was close to Algonquin and Arrowhead parks. Although check in is at 3, the owner Les agreed that we could come around 1. My husband and I were staying in Baysville the night before so we were a bit earlier arriving at the Resort Sat morning. Our friends were traveling from Burlington in bad weather and were still on the road. We arrived at the resort around 11:30, followed the office sign upstairs. Les the owner opened the door and after I stated who we were and that I realized we were very early he disappeared around the corner and left us standing at the door. My husband got tired of waiting and listening to a dog bark non stop and went back to our van. I finally had to peek around the corner to see what was happening and was only then informed that somehow our reservations were mixed up and he had us booked for the following weekend. He was very apologetic and told us he would find us someplace else. After quite a while we settled on a smaller cottage 20 min away that was around the same price. When we called our friends however, they were still stuck in terrible weather conditions and decided to go home. Les did find us a beautifull bed and breakfast down the road and we even made reservationd for the restaurant that evening. He did refund our money and said hed buy us a drink at dinner. (wow!) At that time, we were standing in the restaurant and I pointed to a table in front of the fireplace and specifically asked to have a table in front of the fireplace that evening. Needless to say when we arrived th fireplace tables were taken and when I aked Les about that he did a lot of huffing and puffing and told us that they consider all the tables in the restaurant to be in front of the fireplace. We did almost leave at that point but naively I thought that after messing us up twice, we may get something off the dinner. The dinner was excelent and although a bit pricier than say a pub, the food was good and the atmophere lovely. With dinner I had 2 vodka and orrange, my husband had 2 bear and I had a coffee and Baileys which came with the bailey already in it so I have no idea how much was put in. When the bill came we wre told that they did not charge us for 1 beer and 1 srewdriver yet the bar bill was 22.50. Aparently a beer is $7, a vodka and orrange (not done up as a coctail) is 7.50 and a shot of baileys is 8.00. (plus $2.95 for the coffee!) He did apologise again but his apologies are hollow as he did nothing special to compansate for the problems he caused. I am a very patient person. Others probably would have left the restaurant but I do not forget bad service and not only will I never set foot in this resort again, I will spread the word about what happened to anyone that will listen

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OntarioPainter
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2010

I went to the Walker Lake Resort with my boyfriend who has been travelling the world for over 4 years. He's from England and he wanted to end his one year stay in Canada with something he'd never seen or done before. I found out about the cottages at Walker Lake from a buddy of mine who'd taken his fiance there a few months prior and raved about it. The owner or manager of the resort, Les, was really friendly and answered all of my questions with pleasure. When we booked, he even made reservatoins for us at his restaurant which was right there on the property. i so thrilled to say that I haven't had that much fun mixed with pleasure, relaxation, beauty, and romance in one weekend in all of my life. We stayed in "The Maple" cottage. It was roomy and cozy and had a real rustic feel to it. The kitchen was so elegant. It had a beautiful stove with cute wooden table and chairs. There was also an old fashioned gas stove/fireplace. My boyfriend and I sat in front of the fire playing cards all night long. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub and we listened to music while relaxing in it after the most extraordinary French cuisine i have ever had. If you don't book a cottage, be sure to go to The Norsemen Restaurant. I couldn't have asked for anything better than sitting on a beautiful deck sipping wine while watching the lake as the sun went down. Not to mention feasting on the most succulent duck confit I have ever tasted. Over the weekend we cayaked, canoed, took the motorized dock into the middle of the lake and had a picnic, went on a hike, and roasted marshmallows over the fire pit in front of the lake. My boyfriend was eccstatic that he got to see a loon, and a deer. Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know how fabulous my experience was. I am arranging to go back in the winter for a little girls retreat.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jo_Duguay
Norsemen, Owner at Walker Lake Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Dear Jo_Duguay,

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the Walker Lake Resort and the Norsemen Restaurant.

We're glad you liked the cozy and rustic feel of the Maple cottage and enjoyed relaxing in the Jacuzzi tub and in front of the wood stove. We're also happy you enjoyed your dinner and view of the lake and sunset at the Norsemen Restaurant.

It's great that your boyfriend got to see a loon and a deer at the resort.

We sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon on another visit.

Best regards,

Les Gayne
Owner
Huntsville, Ont.
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Walker Lake Resort is the ideal location to get away from it all and enjoy nature at its best.
There are seven cottages overlooking the lake, all are comfortable and adequately equiped and reasonably private.
Suzi and Les, the owners are always friendly and helpful.
The Lake itself is pristine, perfect for swimming, snorkling , kayaking, canoeing. The new large main dock is great to swim from and sunbathe on. There is also a small sandy beach suitable for children.
The cottagers have the use of kayaks, canoes, a paddle boat,
small motor boat and a large motorized raft. There is a large water trampoline near the dock.
The lake is crystal clear and almost always calm, full of smallmouth bass average size 12 to 14 inches with a few bigger ones to be found. There are also Lake Trout for the spring and fall.
The lake has few motor boats and a 12 kilometer speed limit which
keeps it peaceful and safe.
The resort is well located 15 minutes from Huntsville and half an hour to Algonquin park.
This is a beautiful location to enjoy all the magic of Muskoka
which is why we continue to make it our annual vacation destination.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2010

The Location of this Resort is perfect. A serene crystal clear lake.
There are seven cottages all close to the water. The Cottages are comfortable on nice locations overlooking the lake, with barbecues and all nessesary appliances. Suzi and Les, the owners are always
friendly and helpful. The Lake is pristine ,almost always calm,
Great for swimming, snorkling and kayak/canoeing
The Lake is full of smallmouth bass 12"to 15" with a few bigger ones to be found. There is also Laketrout for spring and fall
There are very few boats and the speed limit is 12km
which keeps the lake quiet, safe and relaxing.
The resort has a nice new large main dock to swim from or sunbathe. There are kayaks,canoes,paddle boat,a small motor boat,
and a large motorized floating dock for the cottagers use.
Also a large water trampoline and a small sandy beach suitable for children.
It is conveniently located 15 min from Huntsville and 30 min to
Algonquin park.
This is a true Muskoka gem which will continue to be our annual
vacation destination.

fr

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I can only guess that the relatively new owners of this "resort" are in over their heads. When we arrived after a very long drive, the owner, Les, demanded that I pay in full the remaining balance before checking in. I realized after that he might have thought that I would run away after I saw the cottage, so best to get the money in advance. Once he had the money he disappeared to get wine for some restauarant guests so I was left just standing there for a long time until he could show me to the cottage.

The cottage (Maple) was described as rustic, but it was worse than rustic. It obviously had not been cleaned thoroughly in a long time - mouse droppings in the kitchen cabinets; old slippers and toys in the sofa cushions; strong smell of mildew and mold in the living room furniture; a build-up of dirt under the bathroom sink. The jacuzzi tub was a complete joke and we were too afraid to use it. It was encased in peeling wood grain Contact paper and the fake tile tub surround looked to be falling apart. Strong bare light bulbs glared down from the wall. We opted for showers even though the shower head only had one "needle torture" setting. The extra bedroom with bunkbeds was really scary: the wall was open to provide easy access to the jacuzzi motor; the bunk beds were held together with extra nailed-in strips of wood; there was no way to turn the light on and off without unplugging it ; no ladder to the top bunk. Not really appropriate for kids and the owner does not want adults to use it since the bunk beds "cannot take much weight". The cottage was supposed to have a private dock but it was actually shared with another cottage. To add to the overall charm, there was a planter of dead plants just by the entrance to the cottage.

We ate in the restaurant one evening. The food was okay but a bit overpriced for the quality - about $50 per person with wine and appetizer but no dessert. The fact that a mouse spent the entire evening charging at our table was a bit of a turn off. We could see the mouse nest by the fireplace and if anyone had vacuumed the dining room lately, the nest would have been obvious to him/her as well.

The lake is adorable with not many motorized boats and no jetskis. The resort has about 5 canoes in varying states of disrepair. It was really hard to find one that had two seats since most of the seats were either broken or missing. All the canoes were heavily patched. And there were only two paddles available - both child-size. There is a small motor boat that can be used for fishing. The motor was not working (water in the gas line) one day, so Les worked on it for some time and got it running. He decided to leave it running full throttle with a full tank of gas all afternoon while he went off and ran errands. No one could use the docks because the noise was deafening. Finally we went over and turned down the engine so that the guests could actually use the lake front that afternoon! Les did not return until later in the afternoon.

My final comment is that it is totally inappropriate for an owner to come into a guest's cabin without permission unless it is an emergency. We were sitting on the dock - in full view of the cottage - and saw Les come into our cottage. He wandered around and then came out. He offered no explanation for his actions. Very disconcerting.

3 Thank BostonNix
Dear BostonNix,

Thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention the problems you experienced. Your comments have been of great value and we have taken the necessary measures to avoid the occurrence of similar situations in the future.

We are sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. Had we known of any of your concerns either at the start of your stay or anytime during your stay, we would have gladly done what it took to make you happy, as we pride ourselves on going to great lengths to satisfy our guests.

Regarding the condition of the cottage, we have reviewed your comments with the cleaners and have instituted more detailed checklists to ensure all the aspects you mentioned are checked and taken care of immediately.

In response to my going into the cottage, as I explained at the time the person who actually booked the cottage told me they enjoyed their stay but had to go home early for a family reason. I understood that to mean that the whole party had left, and went into the cottage to begin the clean up process. Obviously this was my mistake and will ensure it doesn't happen in the future.

Allow me to offer my most sincere apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay. Again, we appreciate your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Best regards,

Les Gayne
Owner
Huntsville, Ont.
Toronto
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We had heard from friends about this wonderful resort and restaurant in Huntsville and booked a weekend trip there. We were not disappointed! Our cottage was lovely and was winterized and spotless and cozy. It is so peaceful and lovely there. We had dinner on the Saturday night at the on site restaurant, the Norseman, and it was fabulous. We enjoyed every morsel and the service and ambience was excellent. No complaints!!

We can't wait to go back to the Norseman and will tell all our friends.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntsville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville
Tulip Inn
Tulip Inn
#10 of 18 in Huntsville
Spring Lake Resort Motel and Restaurant

Been to Walker Lake Resort? Share your experiences!