“Great winter getaway...but NOT clean”
Review of Deerhurst Resort

Deerhurst Resort
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Toronto, Canada
“Great winter getaway...but NOT clean”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Deerhurst was great. We used many of the resorts facilities and they were all great. Snow and ice was removed from all walkways. We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo. It was spacious and each family had their own large bedroom and bathroom. However I found that the rooms were not clean. The carpets were old and gross. The couches and upholstered chairs were stained, old and grungy. I did not even want to sit on them. We wore shoes indoors the whole time. The beds and linens were very clean. The furniture and décor was old and dated. The bathrooms were early 90's. Time for renos Deerhurst. Time to modernize rooms and remove carpets. The changeroom at the pool also had carpet, and I thought it smelled musty and moldy. I would probably not stay at Deerhurst again unless I stayed in a cleaner, more modern room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa M
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Glad you enjoyed your winter getaway! Since joining Skyline Hotels & Resorts, we have been re-investing in our property. This coming month many of our 1, 2, 3 bedroom condos will receive a full renovation including carpet, furnishings, fixtures and drapery, which will bring us to 320 newly or partially renovated rooms in the past 2 years. In addition to improving our guestroom product many amenities and facility improvements have been made around the resort and will continue into this year as well. We hope you will return soon to see and experience the changes and improvements first hand.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Korean first
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

This was suppose to be a weekend away for my hubby and I to relax and unwind. We left the kids with grandparents to get some quiet time. Well, 9 hours into our "relaxing" weekend away and I'm laying in bed fuming, writing this review. We are staying in a 1 bedroom condo and it is disgusting and outdated! I could handle the old furniture decor, but all the dirt and grime...no! Oh! And after standing in the shower for 5 minutes, the water turned icy cold! I had to get out of the shower with soap on my body and conditioner in my hair, wait 30 minutes and then finish my shower! We couldn't order a movie in the living room because the connection wasn't working. The front desk said they'd try and fix it tomorrow. I could get over that if it weren't for the crappy shower experience and dirty accommodations. The area around the base of the toilet was caked in grime. The baseboard heater in the bathroom was gross! There was hair all over it. The wall paper was peeling, dead flies on the window ledge, the couch had lovely mystery stains all over it. The 1980's fridge had pieces falling off! When I say run away...I mean it! We have stayed at Blue Mountain in Collingwood every winter for the past 11 years and have never experienced such disappointing accommodations. Book there instead. Take a close look at the pics I'm posting! They don't lie!

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank NSnider
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
NSnider, thank you for taking the time to speak to us directly on the phone today following your recent stay at our resort. As mentioned, we have been re-investing in our property. This coming month, many of our 1, 2, 3 bedroom condos will receive a full renovation including carpet, furnishings, fixtures and drapery, which will bring us to 320 newly or partially renovated rooms in the past 2 years. In addition to improving our guestroom product many amenities and facility improvements have been made around the resort and will continue into this year as well. We look forward to your return so you can see and experience the changes and improvements first hand.

Travelers are raving about these Huntsville hotels

St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Deerhurst from Friday January 17 to Sunday January 19. Overall, we were very pleased with our experience!

Room:
-We stayed in the main building - which I would recommend for a short stay in the winter - as you are in the same building as the restaurant, lobby, pool, etc.
-The room was very large and clean.
-The bed was very comfortable.

Food:
-We ate at Eclipse for breakfast one morning (buffet) which was good. The variety was good (omelette station, scrambled eggs, eggs benedict, bacon, sausage, pancakes, yogurt, granola, fruit, pastries, etc.). The server even let us have a takeout coffee and container to grab a muffin, which we thought was really nice!
-We also ate at Eclipse for dinner on Saturday evening. I had the vegetarian risotto and my husband had the seafood risotto. Both were very good!
-The service on both occasions was very good!

Hotel Amenities:
-We took advantage of the free cross country ski and skate rentals - which was great!
-The pool / hot tub area was clean and the 'under the sea' theme was cute.

While we were in the area, we also went to Arrowhead Provincial Park (to go on the Skating Trail). I would highly recommend checking that out!

Overall - a great experience! :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank winter_e123
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Sincere appreciation for posting a review and the 5 star rating! We are glad you enjoyed your winter vacation with us and were able to partake in the many onsite activities and amenities.

As you note, we are only 10 minutes east of Arrowhead Park which offers a magnificent Ice Trail. The trail is a 1.5 km skate path set amidst the snow-dusted trees that wind through the East River Campground is highly recommend as a ‘must do’ for everyone!

Thank you again - we do appreciate your opinions and feedback.
Lindsay, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We have been coming here very winter for the last 4 years, and this outing was not great. We arrived on a Thursday. The main restaraunt (Eclipse) was closed on our first day and a half there, and the Maple restaraunt was also closed. No mention of this when I booked. The Eclipse was supposed to open for breakfast the next day - didnt open again until friday night. The only restauraunt available was the Lobby bar. Bufffet breakfast setup on Friday morning (Lobby bar)was almost completey devoid of hot food. I stood waiting for 10 minutes at the egg station waiting for someone to cook an omlette as there was practically nothing else left for hot food in the buffet. Eclipse was finally opened on Friday night. We ordered dinner and waited....waited....to have the waitress tell us she forget to place our order. However - kudos to the waitress - she apologized profusely, did a stellar job in rushing out our order, and comp'd us dessert. Breakfast buffet at the Eclipse on Saturday morning - same issue at the omlette bar - no cooking staff to be found.
The sports store was closed, and replaced with an activities desk that is a long walk from any outdoor activities.
The arcade (where the kids can earn tickets for prizes) sorely needed to have the prizes restocked.
Checking out - I was told there seemed to be an issue with 2 additional charges on my final bill, and she needed to "sort it out". I was given 2 different statements and was told I should be charged withe the lower statement amount, and I would be updated by email. Still waiting for that email.

Some positives however - pool area has been refreshed with an ocean theme and was nicely done. The staff were all very polite. Room (main building) was the same as it has been for the last 4 years but clean and comfortable.

I agree with a previous post - it is a shame that the snow tube hill and the indoor gym/tennis courts and squash courts have all been permanently closed. It was a huge part of our initial attraction to Deerhurst as a winter getaway and this visit has me questioning if it is worth returning. My overall rating is between poor and average, poor based on the restaurant issues.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a review and the many compliments. We apologize for the service inconsistencies you experienced. Your comments will be shared with our colleagues as we are committed to continuous improvement and delivering the best experience possible and your comments assist us in these efforts.

Our Eclipse Restaurant was closed so that we could enhance our buffet station which now features thermal heating to improve the culinary experience for our valued guests.

This cosy spot has just been remodeled with a new updated look featuring a combination of formal and relaxed dining areas, with comfy furniture, lounge seating and dining tables.

Deerhurst is a very comprehensive resort with numerous facilities and amenities on site compared to many hotels in this area. We do recommend guests visit our website to learn about the many resort activities and offerings we have on site, inquire about hours of operation, fees and make advance reservations for activities. Again, we appreciate the time you have taken to share you feedback and hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I've been here 3 times, most recently this past Sun/Mon for a quick getaway with my husband. I believe they're now under new management and I've read some pretty negative reviews of apathetic staff but we luckily didn't experience that. It's not a fabulously modern resort, the bathrooms aren't designer and it's not particularly cheap if you add in restos and activities but it's a fun and peaceful getaway from Toronto. I suppose choosing a suite with a kitchenette would bring down the costs substantially, but we like eating out so we never opt for that route.

Couple complaints:

1. Eclipse was closed which is their main dining room and that wasn't made clear to me during my booking. Considering I booked a package that gave me $100/day to be used towards dining or spa or other resort activities that kind of annoyed me. I get that it's their slow time so renos need to happen but eating every meal in the lobby bar was monotonous.

2. The tubing hill is gone! I understand this was done for insurance purposes but it's such a disappointment bc I loved it.

3. The last 2 times I've stayed here over the last couple of years I've had the same room with the same view of the parking lot. I think it's good hotel policy to upgrade people if the resort is empty but Deerhurst never does. This doesn't cost the hotel anything and it makes guests feel special.

4. The front desk staff was hit or miss. The first girl that checked us in couldn't tell us the hours of the only dining facility open on site but some of the others were extremely helpful. Consistency here is important.

The Good:

1. Since it's their slow time, the Activities desk was closed at 3 daily, however the very kind Jay offered to put x country skiis aside at the front desk for us so we could try them later after he was gone. Unfortunately the boots were too small for my husband but the girl at the front desk (can't remember her name) was able to get us down to the Winter storeroom to get the correct size. We thought that was above and beyond and very accommodating of her!

2. The waitstaff was very friendly, Andrew was our server both nights and he was excellent.

3. The food is good and the portion size is huge, yes it's pricey but you're at a resort so of course it is. Try the cranberry cheesecake in a jar if you're partial to desserts, it was delicious.

4. It seems they do dog sledding on site now. Last time I was there we did dog sledding off-site. I haven't booked the activity at Deerhurst but I would imagine it's the same. It was great fun when highly recommend you try at some point.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your continued patronage over the years; as a valued guest and customer we do appreciate your opinion and the many compliments and personal recognition of our skilled colleagues.

We did make the decision last year to discontinue snow-tubing due to insurance and liability reasons and determined that based on the abundance of other outdoor winter activities and the option to downhill ski, snowboard and snow-tube at nearby parks, that our guests do have many other alternative activities to enjoy.

Our Eclipse Restaurant was closed so that we could enhance our buffet station which now features thermal heating to improve the culinary experience for you - our valued guest.

Our guests did have the option to dine in our Lobby Bar, which has always been a welcoming stop for a casual lunch, dinner, cocktails or a relaxing nightcap, plus evening snacks by the glowing fireplace. This this cosy spot has just been remodeled with a new updated look featuring a combination of formal and relaxed dining areas, with comfy furniture, lounge seating and dining tables.

Thank you again for posting a review.
ArtemVernik
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my girlfriend for two nights and had one of the best times. Shocked to find such great service in Ontario. Freshly renovated Bayshore building had an amazing view of the lake. Many winter activities which are included in your night stay. Speechless because had an amazing time.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Sincere appreciation for posting a review and the 5 star rating! We are glad you had an Amazing Getaway and had the opportunity to stay in one our newly renovated Lakeside Rooms which offer a serene view of the frozen and snow-covered Peninsula Lake..

As you note our room packages do include year round benefits and several new seasonal services previously charged for. In winter our guests now have unlimited use of our trail system, Cross Country Ski equipment (ski, pools and boots), Snowshoes, Ice –skates and more.

Winter can be the most fun-filled season if you embrace it for its wonder and get out and experience all the wonderful activities. Future guests: Please visit our website or contact us directly to learn more about our amenities and offerings and make advance reservations.

ArtemVernik, again, we appreciate the time you have taken to share you feedback and are hopeful we will have the chance to welcome you back in the future.
Toroni, Greece
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed with a large group in January 2014. Upon booking in September 2013, I requested a room with 2 double beds and was told there were not any available. Keep in mind this request was for a stay 4 months later!!!! We were forced to take a King bed with a pull out couch. I called a few times prior to my family's arrival to discover there were rooms with double beds available but a 10 min drive from my group. In the room with the king bed, the pull out couch was beyond lumpy and extremely uncomfortable! The mattress had to be moved to the floor. I requested extra blankets which reception was not overly helpful in trying to find for me. I complained again and somehow housekeeping managed to find a few blankets and a broken feather duvet with feathers falling out of it, which stabbed you if you placed it directly underneath someone. I also explained to reception my original request was for a room with 2 double beds within the area of where my group was staying. They miraculously found me a room with 2 double beds in the building next door! When I called earlier in the month, they didn't have any! Due to the hassle of having to repack, we stayed in the crappy room and requested some form of compensation. Only to have reception explain that they could not possibly do that for any reason (what a money grab!) The second night we stayed, it was freezing rain which made everything very icy. Upon leaving in the morning, my husband fell on the steps outside our bulidng. It was icy on the stairs/steps, on the sidewalk, on the driveway....everywhere there was ice!!! There was no salt, no sand, no attempts made in the early hours of the morning to prevent people from slipping and falling!! After providing first aid to my spouse it was established nothing was broken, just a sprain! Where was salt? Where was the sand? I also heard quite a few people fell! They are lucky no one has decided to take legal action! ...yet! Don't stay here! It is not worth it!

Room Tip: Pick a completely different hotel/resort. Don't stay here.