“I wish I could have stayed longer”
Review of Deerhurst Resort

Deerhurst Resort
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This past weekend, my family and I stayed at two of the suites at Golf View. One of the rooms was on the 3rd floor while the other was on the first. Although both rooms were nice, we enjoyed the room on the third floor more as it was very well lit (it had more windows and sky light), had newer furniture, newer decor and most importantly a better view. In particular, the set up in our bedroom was nice as it had a small table next to the window with probably the best view in the house.

The room on the first floor had very old furniture and it felt like the place was more dated.

Aside from that, both rooms were clean and the beds (at lease the one we stayed on) was comfortable. The kitchen was also well equipped (plenty of silverware, pots, bowls, pans and spatula - even one for making pancakes).

The restaurant at the lobby was also nice. Since our party was quite large, we had the buffet for everyone. The food was delicious. My only complaint is that it felt like there weren't enough food to be offered for a buffet.

I also do not like the fact that there was a lack of signage to take you up to the rooms from the lobby. Just about everyone in our party missed the first right turn after the lobby and went straight up to another resort.

Other than that, I enjoyed my stay and I wish I didn't live so far away!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for posting a review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and wished you could have stayed longer too! Next time you visit, we recommend you check out “Stay Longer & Save 20%” specials on our website!

Your feedback regarding the difference in accommodation is important and we want you to know that we are in the process of mapping out a renovation package for the Greens multi-bedroom Condos which will provide consistency of our guest room product.

We look forward to return soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,236)

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Deerhurst Resort was magnificent. We stayed only for one night but the staff, the views, our room and the overall hospitality was excellent. We dined at Eclipse for their three course meal and it was over our expectations. Our server/waitress Jen was probably the highlight of our trip as she was truly passionate about the food, wine and her recommendations. This type of attitude is not found often.
We will definitely stay when the weather is warmer or for snow activities again

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thank you for posting a review and giving us 5 stars. Glad you were impressed with our hospitality and appreciate you sharing your experience with others. We are indeed fortunate to have the caliber of employees we have as you noted in your review. It will be my pleasure to pass along your comments to our team as this kind of feedback means a great deal to us all. Thank you for including us in your experiences and memories – we look forward to your return!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Where to start....I don't have enough time to go into detail but the room I stayed in should be shut down. It was small, the wall paper was falling off the walls, the mattress was older than me and i could feel all the feathers through the duvet that was under me. (not sure but I think it was put there to try and make the mattress softer or something. The TV had burnt out pixels and the remote only worked when I stood right next to the TV. The bathroom ceilings made me think I was in a construction shack.
It is too bad as I was there for business (no desk in the room either even though I asked for one) and I was considering bringing the family next summer but I will not be doing that given the state of things. I could go on but I don't have time right now I just wanted to warn people. Also they got my room rate wrong as an aside.

Room Tip: Try another resort or at least don't stay in anything else but the main building, I heard those...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Daniel A

We are disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations and apologize for your dissatisfaction. Since joining Skyline Hotels & Resorts, we have been re-investing in our property. As of mid-May 2013, we will have over 300 newly or partially renovated rooms. In addition to improving our guestroom product many amenities and facility improvements have been made around the resort and will continue into this year. We hope that you will give us another opportunity and recommend you contact us directly at info@deerhurstresort.com so we can provide a comprehensive overview of our newly renovated accommodation types and amenities/features available to suit your needs.

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked at deerhurst as we wanted a stress free weekend away. This was anything BUT stress free!!!

The service was probably the worst we have ever experienced. First night we had dinner at the eclipse, atmosphere was good, food was good and the restaurant was not busy. But we still had to wait for long periods of time for our waitress. I do not know where she disappeared to but it was for periods of 20-30 minutes at a time. Dinner took almost 3 hours when it should have been an hour. She took desert off of the bill because we had to wait so long, a nice concession but the first bill did not reflect the credit. She went to get a corrected bill and when she brought that one back she only charged us for the desert, which was 7.00! We could have just left after that but waited for a new bill which was finally correct.

Next day we decide to have lunch at the bar. While we were eating a fight breaks out between two men right beside me. My husband alerted our waitress to call security which she chose to ignore. Right after that it turns into a fight which we were witnesses of and had to wait for three hours to give a statement to the police. Not one person from the hotel asked if we were ok or needed anything. The way they handled the fight also concerned me. They did not separate the two men but continued to allow them to be in the same area. It is supposed to be a family resort yet they allowed these individuals to continue on. I do believe they could have done more to prevent the whole situation from happening or escalating, and when they failed to do so should have at least asked if the other guests were ok!?

Every meal was the same thing. We had to wait for long periods
of time. It was very disappointing. I did not find anyone friendly or helpful. Just a bad experience overall and not at all what I expected.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank cfreeman21

We sincerely apologize that your experience at our resort was impacted by an altercation between other guests. As the safety and well-being of our guests is a priority for us, our team responded quickly to defuse the situation as best they could until the authorities arrived. Your perception of the way the situation was handled and our follow up with you personally is important and I sincerely apologize we were not more responsive to your needs.

On behalf of our Director of Food and Beverage please accept our sincerest apologies that your dining experience was not within keeping of the level of service we are known for. We will recount your experience to our teams to exemplify a missed opportunity to meet the expectations of a valued guest.

We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back in the future to ensure you leave with a more positive impression and restful experience. Please contact us at info@deerhurstresort.com, should you wish to give us another try.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Deerhurst was OK. Not spectacular, not awful, just a mixture of good and bad. The good.... the beds were fabulous. Blake at reception made us welcome and cheerfully assisted us with booking activities, reservations and a (slightly) later checkout. Horseback riding through the fall foliage was amazing... if made tricky by rocky steep trails. Dinner at Steamers was superb, if very expensive. Where the resort let us down was in the little things.... no amenities in the room... no water, no fridge, hairdryer was inadequate, shampoo and toiletries were utilitarian, caulking in bathroom was mouldy. When we carefully, tactfully and with all appropriate golf etiquette (... no one was playing the hole and/or we waited behind as they played it) used the cartpath on the side of the 7th fairway to get from the main building to the horseback riding (... this was the ONLY way to walk there) we were chastised by a course Marshal. All other cartpaths on the course that intersect pedestrian areas are clearly marked for golf only, however, this particular cartpath IS the start of the hiking trails for at least 200 yards and so is expected to have pedestrians on it and therefore has no 'golf-only' signs. The reall clincher perhaps was being awakened by boisterous revellers running up and down the hall banging on doors at 3:00 am, complaining about it to the management the next day, and receiving nothing more than a response that we were not the only ones who complained. I would guess not! Not a very guest-friendly experience and certainly one for which I would expect to at least have some small gesture from the hotel as token for my disrupted night. No, it was not their fault, but for guests who are disturbed to the extent that they formally complain (... they were in the room beside me!) even an offer to promo a breakfast would have been appropriate. I can't speak about the courses themselves other than to say they looked in fantastic condition. That said, if you are looking for a romantic couples weekend away in a resort setting with lots of activities and good food.... go to the Chateau Montebello instead of Deerhurst. Much much nicer experience for your money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review. We are sorry to read that you were disturbed in the middle of the night by other guests and that you were disappointed with aspects of your experience. We sincerely apologize for the service inconsistencies you experienced, which I assure you is not the level of service Deerhurst Resort is known to provide.

We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back in the future to ensure you leave with a more positive impression. Please contact us at info@deerhurstresort.com, should you wish to give us another try.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stay here for a conference and everything was fantastic. We had a one bedroom unit close to the main facility...nice size, had a kitchenette (microwave, no stove), comfortable beds and pillows, etc.

The conference facilities were very good and staff carried things off very well...friendly, good food, good bar service, etc.

The entertainment was there main show, which was very entertaining.

All in all, a great place

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing Deerhurst Resort for your conference and the many compliments and personal recognition of our skilled colleagues. Our team is here to assist whether it is a conference, tradeshow, special event or family getaway – we are an all in one, easy-access, lakeside location for everyone. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights whilst touring Ontario and were impressed by the extent of the resort site and the facilities. Our room was on the 3rd floor of the main building (block 10) and was extremely well-appointed. It was large and airy with a full-sized balcony which overlooked woods. We made good use of the very large swimming pool-mostly empty! and jacuzzi. The lake and grounds were perfect for walking in the warm late summer sunshine. Reception staff were friendly and helpful and everything was very clean and orderly. We did not eat in the hotel, preferring to use the restaurants in the town of Huntsville about 7 km away. We can understand why the Deerhurst was used for the G8 conference in 2010.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

As a Senior Contributor for TripAdvisor and well-travelled guest we sincerely appreciate your review and kind compliments about our resort and service team!

We hope your travels will bring you back to our resort and encourage you to dine at Deerhurst to discover the delicious tastes of Muskoka dining. The restaurants at Deerhurst are committed to the "eat local" food movement. Director of Food & Beverage Rory Golden has been a true advocate for Ontario growers and producers, assisting in the foundation of the Savour Muskoka culinary trail. Now, new Executive Chef, David Bakker is continuing and furthering that delicious trend.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our “friendly and relaxing” corner of Muskoka!