“Great way to spend march break with the kids”
Review of Deerhurst Resort

Deerhurst Resort
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Toronto, Canada
“Great way to spend march break with the kids”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Spent the week at Deerhurst resort and really enjoyed ourselves.The kids loved the bouncey castles they had set up for the week specially and also they loved the games room and pool.
The kids did the pony ride($25.each) which was excellent and worth it and they also did the kiddy dogsled which we did not find it that good and definitely not worth the $25. each.
I did the ziplining which was great.The decades live show was excellent.
The staff was nice and friendly and accommodations very good.We stayed in a timeshare condo.
We will return again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience and impression on TripAdvisor. Deerhurst Resort does have a wide range of activities, amenities and fun or relaxing family holiday packages which let both kids and parents unwind. We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Korean first
Ontario
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I went to Deerhurst with my husband and another couple. The ‘boys’ wanted to go with snowmobiling in mind. We arrived Fri, late afternoon. Checked in. Our friends were not on the same floor as us but they were able to find them a room (they only had handicap accessible) on the first floor just a few doors down from us. It was perfect for the boys to park their skidoos right outside our patio doors. Early the next morning, they jumped on their skidoos and headed out.

We had dinner at the Maple restaurant that night. The food was OK. The French onion soup was very good. Not too dark and not too salty. The next day while the ‘boys’ were out, us girls went to the main restaurant for their breakfast buffet. It was OK, pretty pricey for breakfast at $19.99. You can order from the menu but a breakfast dish cost around $15-18 and it didn’t include coffee, tea or juices, so it made sense to go with the buffet. The fruits wasn’t that fresh and neither was the cheese sitting out. There was a chef in the kitchen who made eggs any way you liked and omelettes too. On the hot table there was scramble eggs, and eggs Benedict, plus bacon, sausages, pancakes, French toast, etc.

After breakfast we went to the spa. We had already booked our apt ahead of time. My friend had booked a manicure and had shellac polish on already. She wanted to ask if they offered it too. They don’t have shellac and were unable to remove them since they didn’t have acetone in their removers. The were very helpful in suggesting getting a paraffin treatment instead and just getting a regular polish over her current color since they wouldn’t be able to do any nail cleaning with the shellac on. During that time an aesthetician came in and said that they do have acetone nail polish remover but they don’t use it because it’s hard on the skin surrounding the nail. She was able to soak her fingers and scrap off the shellac for her.

The spa was OK, over priced,. The massage was nice but I could have gotten the same one paying $40 less back home. I also got a pedicure, that wasn’t anything special other then being overpriced. It was the same as what I usually get back home at Walmart only I would pay less then half what I paid at Deerhurst.

We went back to the Maple for lunch and I order the French onion soup again. This time it was very dark and salty. I didn’t enjoy it at all. They are not consistent with their food. The Cesar salad had too much dressing on top for my liking.

We had dinner at the Eclipse on Sat. It was expensive. I didn’t enjoy my rib eye. I asked for it to be medium and got it well done. It was dry and tasteless. My friend order her sirlion well done and got it med. I guess they switched it. I didn’t complain or send mine back. I don’t like doing that since I’m not sure what the chef mood would be and I didn’t want my dish to come back, spit on or dropped on the floor. It’s not that I would expect something like that to happen at Deerhurst but I didn’t want to take a chance. I have a friend who is a chef and the stories he tells me of what they do to people’s food is the reason why I never send anything back to the kitchen. We were indecisive about which dish to get for dessert and our waitress ended up bring both for us to try and only charged us for 1. I thought that was very nice of her. She was very friendly and knowledgeable with the menu.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Our rooms were very neat and beds are high but I found they were too soft for my liking. You sink in the mattress and the pillows were too high, I ended up sleeping without a pillow. Check out was at 11am. We were there during the ‘time change’ and asked if they would accommodate it and was told ‘no’ we would have to check out at 11.

We didn’t go to the pool, it was very crowds. We didn’t do any activities around the resort so can’t comment on that. It was a very nice relaxing weekend which I though was overpriced and would not do it again. If we do come again, it would be with the kids and we would get a condo with a kitchen to save on cost.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kidsxfour
Thank you for posting a detailed review. We are glad you had a nice weekend and are considering returning with your kids. We hope your travels will bring you back to our resort and recommend you check our website for packages, savings and best available rates online.

Our professional kitchen brigade and Executive Chef encourage all our guests to share their feedback and as such will often be seen visiting and interacting with guests at their table to ask how their meal was and respond to questions. The next time you stay with us, please let us know so our Executive Chef can personally follow up with you as well during your stay.
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was our first time at Deerhurst Resort. We went up with three teenagers so we were looking forward to outdoor activities as we all love the winter weather. We stayed two nights at a two bedroom condo. It was clean but outdated. My kids kept laughing at how it reminded them of shows from the 70's. We brought food for breakfast and lunch but decided to try the dinners on both nights. We didn't have dinner at the fancy restaurant but we ate at the kids restaurant and the lobby bar. The food was not what I expected for the price I paid. We ordered wings and they were cold and the vegge sticks that come with them looked like a week old. When the spinach dip appetizer is better than your dinner and hotter then that's not good. People also recommended that we head to the restaurant Three Men and a Stove as it was really good food. We should have gone there. We enjoyed the dog sledding and the outdoor pond hockey rink. Only complaint is maintaining the outdoor pond hockey rink. It would only take once a day to keep the ice smooth. My kids still loved it but their ankles were sore from all the chunks of ice and bumpiness of the ice. The best part was your spa. I decided to get a foot reflexology massage and it was amazing. We had a great weekend with my family but it was expensive. Not sure if we would come back.

Room Tip: Two bedroom condo had a beautiful view, was very large for a bigger family, just outdated.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Glad you enjoyed your escape from the city and were able to relax and enjoy the many amenities available on site, including our Shizen Spa. We apologize for the service inconsistencies you experienced, which I assure you is not the level of service Deerhurst Resort is known to provide. Your comments have been shared with our Executive Chef as we are committed to continuous improvement and delivering the best experience possible and your comments assist us in these efforts.

The multi bedroom condos are very popular as they were designed with families in mind and it is great to read that they met your needs. As of May 2013, there will be over 300 guestrooms which will have received a partial or full renovation. In addition, we are currently mapping out a renovation plan for the multi bedroom condos that we manage on behalf of private individual owners and are confident further renovations will be completed soon. We look forward to your return next year so you can see and experience these changes first hand.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The rooms are clean and reasonably comfortable. All the staff is polite, helpful, and attentive. You should know going to the resort (especially in the winter) that nothing is included in the reservation. You'll need to pay for any activity other than the pool and the bouncy castles (although the internet, at least, is free). The food in sports bar/restaurant is expensive and range from mediocre to pretty bad; service there is attentive but extremely slow (it took them about ten minutes to get us seated in a mostly empty restaurants). There is also a higher end restaurant that we didn't try but I would be very surprised if someone told me I missed out on an important gastronomic experience). If you book something with a kitchenette, you should plan to use it. The fitness room had very little equipment and they seem to have given up on restocking items there (no water in the water cooler, no soap in the showers). Not much thought is given to landscape; the whole architecture of the site is pretty awful. The treetop trekking was expensive but amazing fun.

1 Thank Sergio T
Thank you for posting a review. Glad you were impressed with our hospitality and were able to partake in our newest activity – Tree Top Trekking, a year round activity which caters to the entire family.

Deerhurst is a very comprehensive resort with numerous facilities and amenities on site compared to many hotels in this area. In addition, our resort destination offers a variety of other tourist attractions, scenic and historic sites along with a full range of recreational areas. As you note, we do recommend guests visit our website to learn about the many resort activities and offerings we have on site, inquire about hours of operation, fees and make advance reservations for activities.

All of your comments/suggestions are important and will be shared and evaluated with the appropriate department heads at the resort. We apologize for the service inconsistencies you experienced, which I assure you is not the level of service Deerhurst Resort is known to provide.
port colborne
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have been coming to Deerhurst with our children most years for the last 10 years. I am afraid to say that the resort has had 3 owners over this period of time. It has slowly become tired and worn over this time. It needs a good make over. The owners look more interested in developing the land they own with new high priced homes around the golf course than on developing the resort. The family used to enjoy the big indoor dome tennis courts and basket ball nets. Now turned into a conference center. Tubing on the big hill, his year closed. One squash court gone, shuttle service now?
The problem with this location is when there is a thaw and slush the activities available for children are very limited. No snow shoeing, no cross country skiing, no ice skating, Hidden Valley not always open during the week. So everyone piles into the pool! I am afraid it has come to the point that the children don’t want to come.
The upside is when it is sunny and you snowshoe up the mountain to view the property it is beautiful and a fun work out. The staff are always very friendly and help full and if you have an issue in your room they do service your request fast. As more upscale resorts offer more to do Deerhurst has to offer more, out of the summer months, for families or it will only be a resort for couples who want spas, food &shows.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your continued patronage over the years; as a valued guest and customer we do appreciate your opinions and feedback.

Since joining Skyline Hotels & Resorts, we have been re-investing in our property. As of mid-May 2013, we will have over 300 newly or partially renovated rooms. In addition to improving our guestroom product many amenities and facility improvements have been made around the
the resort and will continue into this year.

As we know many of our guests enjoy indoor activity options we did expand our facilities last year to include an Indoor Climbing Wall and Stargazers Ridge Amusement Area with great new interactive video games. There are many other activities /facilities in addition to the Shizen Spa, Restaurants and Show that are available in the spring/fall which include our indoor pool, fitness facilities, tree top trekking and magnificent hiking trails, horseback riding and more. Our charming town of Huntsville, local community and nearby parks also have an abundance of different activities/events available to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.
Oakville,ON, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We just returned from 3 nights at Deerhurst over the March Break. My husband and I had been there a few years ago in October for a late season golf weekend, and thought it would be a nice getaway for the family. We were not looking for this particular visit to be a luxurious trip with lots of meals out, and in fact to keep costs in check, we rented a one bedroom condo with full kitchen. We brought all our own food and prepared our own meals, which worked out well with 2 hungry teens. I booked over the phone with a friendly reservation agent, and he did advise that the renovated junior suites were slightly smaller than the condos with full kitchen. We opted for more space, which is what we got - a king bed in the very large bedroom, and queen pullout sofa in the living room. Therefore we had no surprises that our unit was going to be more "Canadiana country" than modern chic, but that was fine; it had 2 flatscreen tv's and free wifi, a big dining room table to eat and play cards at. Great blackout curtains helped us all sleep in - very quiet. The weather on the first day was a bit slushy, but the helpful British gent at the sports desk gave us showshoes for free and advised us where we could find the snow. On the second day we lucked out with a fresh snowfall, so we were able to go cross country skiing at Arrowhead Provincial Park which is very close by - highly recommend - great for beginners up to advanced. By joining the free "Skylife Rewards" program before we arrived, we saved half price on rentals, plus half price on the wonderful "Decades" Live show - another must do for everyone who goes to Deerhurst. This resort has a lot of different options for the type of vacation you want to make it - you can certainly do spas and restaurants, or you can make it more cottage-like but with amenities available to suit personal tastes and budgets.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the very comprehensive review. Deerhurst does have a variety of different types of accommodation and in various locations around the resort and should a guest prefer a different type, style of room, or location our reservations agents would be pleased to assist and provide recommendations to meet our guests expectations and desired features.

The Skylife Rewards program which was introduced last year is very popular with our guests. This program is your all-access pass to over 50 exciting activities and cool to-dos in Ontario and it's absolutely FREE. SkyLife VIP members also receive periodic discounts on accommodation and SkyLife Activities. To learn more, please visit our website.
Fonthill, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

A highlight of our time at Deerhurst was the dogsled ride--Alexander and Jake were excellent leaders-very good with the dogs who were raring to run=despite the snow being thin we had a fun ride---
the pool area needs upgrades-too much foam which was pungent in the hot tub =In our unit the fireplace in one bedroom did not work -Maintenance staff were helpful in explaining how to work a "new" stove and fixing the fireplace in the living room.
The shuttle that had been so helpful last year was not available -it looks as though the buses on the parking lot were being saved for something and there were not enough people to help in many areas
WiFi in our unit was frustrating -it would go off even when we were close beside the router and did not work anywhere else in the unit.
we were not encouraged to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zoe H
Glad you were able to enjoy and discover the joys of dogsledding in the Canadian Wilderness. We appreciate you reaching out to us during your stay to advise of the issues you were experiencing with the fireplace and stove. We encourage all our guests to tell us how they feel and what they are experiencing so we can respond quickly and effectively to their comments.
We have upgraded our internet service in the last year so that all our guestrooms feature wireless internet and increased our bandwidth resort wide to meet our guests usages needs. We will investigate your concerns and would appreciate if you could advise us of what room you stayed in at info@deerhurstresort.com.

We are hopeful that you will return to our corner of Muskoka the next time you visit.