“Family getaway for New Years Eve at Deerhurst”
Review of Deerhurst Resort

Deerhurst Resort
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed January 5, 2013

A family group of 16 ages 6 years to 70 years of age.

Check in: Be prepared to wait for check in. Although check in is at 4 pm, some in our group had to wait until 6 pm for the room to be ready.

New Years Eve Decades Dinner, Show & Dance Party:
The Decades show was entertaining and has some truly vocally talented performers. It does look a bit low budget and some of the outfits look a bit tired, but the show it self is fast past and well put together. Unfortunately, a third of our group were unable to see the visual of the show because of the huge speakers placed on the stage that blocked their view. The show started just after 9 pm and finished at 11 pm with a 10 minute intermission. After 11 pm there was a DJ, who pretty much put us to sleep until midnight. FYI: the kids in our group (ages 6 to 13) barely watched the show as they did not recognize 95% of the songs and although requested more popular songs to the DJ after 11pm, the DJ continued to play for an older (50plus) crowd.

The New Years Eve buffet dinner: The cold selection was plenty and had a great variety of different salads as well as cold seafood. The chilled baby lobster was extremely salty and over cooked. The hot selection was also plentiful. The Quinoa salad and Coquille St. Jacques, piped Yukon Gold potatoes were very tasty, everything else was pretty mediocre. The dessert table was pretty sad, the cakes and pies tasted like they were out of a box. Very little variety of fruit and the trays were usually empty. For $110 per adult, it was somewhat disappointing, but since it was New Years Eve, the food quality and taste was not our biggest concern. We were disappointed that they did not have a kid’s section for the buffet. They had a different party that was geared towards younger children (under 6 years)and families, however, the we should have been told that there would be no food selection for children at this party when we booked. There were lots of kids at this party as well. The chef did go over to the other party and get some kids food; taters, nuggets, mac and cheese all mashed together on a plate, however the kids had one look at the plate and pushed it away. Although the intentions were nice it would have been better to allow the kids to go and get there own food. Considering the child’s ticket price was $55 (plus tax and gratuity), that’s a pretty hefty price to pay for a chocolate fountain, which is pretty much all the kids ate. I would recommend a small kids buffet portion next time.

The rooms: We stayed at the one-bedroom suites in the Summit Lodge. The lodge itself was about a 3-5 minute walk from the main building were everything was, so its not that convenient when you are with kids. However, on the positive side it is more private and less busy. The room it self were pretty clean but much smaller then it appears in the pictures. Beds were comfortable and as with most pullout couches, don’t expect a good night rest. WARNING: Do not stay in the corner rooms near the stairwells at the lodges. The main doors and all interior doors to the corridors are heavy and slam (very loud) every time someone walks through them. This was extremely annoying early in the morning and late at night. (Message to the management: this problem can be fixed by repairing/adjusting the door swings at the top of the doors so that they don’t slam.)

Room Service: unless you stay in the main lodge you will not get room serves, you can order and then go to pick it up yourself.

Cleaning service: expect only for them to change towels and make beds up. You have to ask for anything else. The staircases are full of salt from outside which gets dragged into the front of the room and corridor. We had to ask the cleaning service to vacuum and mop the floors, as this is not part of their cleaning routine. They did not even have a mop with them and used a towel to mop the front area of the entrance.

Activities: The kids really enjoyed the indoor rock climbing (great staff) as well as the outdoor skating (you can rent stakes there). The kids used the pool once and although they had an indoor playzone, we did not use it as we were not in the main building and did not get around to it. It was disappointing that they did not have the tubing available as we were all looking forward to it. Instead we went snow boarding at Hidden Valley (a few minutes away). There were other activities that were available that we just did not get around to trying. You will find plenty to do.

Food: Maple restaurant at the main lodge for dinner: The service was extremely fast and friendly. The food is hit and miss. They have a pretty good menu with variety but the quality of the food will depend on what you order. The calamari was great, crispy and tasty but the local bliss burger was, tough, dry and over cooked. The salads are a safe bet. Stay away from the Sheppard’s pie, it had a layer of grease under the mashed potatoes. FYI: the portions for the kids menu are tiny! Order 2 or order from adult menu. Unless your child is under 3 years they will be disappointed and hungry.
Lobby bar: Chips and dip: tasty. Cheese pizza: almost as good as boxed frozen pizza. 1 large shrimp $3 – pass! Not worth it.
Eclipse: did not try but was wondering if the New Years Eve buffet came from that kitchen, then did not miss much.
The best meal: go down the street to 3 Guys and a Stove, you will not be disappointed!

Spa: did not try the Spa as it was booked ($110 for a 55 minute massage)

Check out: double check you bill and you credit card statement. Some errors did occur at check out but were rectified without hassle. (Great service at the front desk– especially Erin- very helpful).

Would I return? Maybe give it one more chance in the summer.

Room Tip: Don't get the rooms near the stairwell, you will not sleep well.
1  Thank destinationbeach2012
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Thank you for the compliments and constructive comments regarding your recent stay. We truly appreciate knowing about our guest's experiences so we can celebrate our successes, recognize our colleagues and address our challenges to better serve you in the future. We are glad you plan on returning in the summer season as it offers an equally vibrant natural setting as well as a full range of other activities. You can access value-conscious and last-minute specials directly on our website, for both mid-week and weekends.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,369)

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We just returned from two snow filled fun nights at Deerhurst Resort. This was also our first time to the Muskoka area and my family can't stop talking about how much fun we had up here in cottage country.

We booked a junior one bedroom suite in the Summit Lodges. These were renovated for the G8 summit in 2010. We originally booked a parking lot view and had requested a building closest to the main lodge. We arrived at Deerhurst at 2:30 and checked in, but were told to come back at 4:00 to get our room keys as that is the official check in time. So my advice to you is to not rush getting to the resort because you will only be asked to come back at 4:00 to get your room keys. They do not call you to tell you when your room is ready, Just assume it will be at 4! Then you will have to line up all over again to get your key cards!

I will now break down the remainder of my review into specific sections:

ACCOMMODATIONS:

At exactly 4:00 we went to get our keys. We were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a golf course view, building 51 (closest building to the main lodge) AND on the third floor. I can't stress how important it is to get a room on the third floor, and it is just really nice to be close to the lodge! Try to request this when reserving your room! The walls are thin (and thus the ceilings I imagine), and noise does travel fast and furiously in these old buildings. Although renovated, I don't think it included sound proofing. I had to deal with a neighbour who would continuously talk in a loud low tone (funny thing is that his voice was the only one I heard!). I was just so relieved that I couldn't hear it in the bedroom where it was thankfully very quiet. Keep in mind that there are no elevators in the summit lodges (at least none that I could find!) and we had to walk up the three flight of stairs with our luggage, bags etc.

The kitchenette was fantastic with a small bar fridge, a small dishwasher, sink, two burner stove, toaster, coffee maker,electric kettle, frying pan, small pot, large pot. We originally thought the kitchen was poorly stocked, not finding any plates, drinking glasses (found 4 wine glasses), and only knives in the drawer. It wasnt until the next morning that I thought about opening the dish washer only to find everything still in there! The fireplace was fantastic and used the entire time. The room had a large flatscreen TV, double sleeper sofa, two comfy side chairs, a desk chair, another large leather arm chair. The bedroom had two comfortable double beds, with warm duvets, and too-soft pillows. There is a a 6 drawer dresser and a closet. I wasn't too happy about not having anywhere to put my two large suitcases except the floor (and there was limited floor space too). I saw an ironing board and iron too. There was a large LG flatscreen TV in the room too. The bathroom had a glass shower (no tub). My husband thought it was rather narrow and kept hitting the side walls. The bathroom was well lit. There were 4 bath towels and only 2 hand towels, and much to my disappointment, NO face cloths. My husband found some housekeeping staff downstairs in the common room and asked for some face cloths but they said they ran out. We also thought we were missing a glass cup from the bathroom and asked for another, and they had also run out of those (we did find the second glass in the dishwasher!). Housekeeping was great and efficient. Our room was not cleaned until mid afternoon. They do not touch the kitchenette, but do a great job in all other parts of the suite. She even arranged my daughter's stuffed animals nicely on the bed!

FOOD:

We only at at the Maple restaurant once, located in the basement of the main lodge. We arrived at 12:30 for lunch and the restaurant was packed. We told our waitress that we were in a hurry to get to our trail ride and she managed to get our food out to us relatively quickly. The girls thought their kid's pastas were just OK. The chicken wings were tasty and I enjoyed them, and my husband enjoyed his chilli and nachos. It was an expensive lunch for not so much food. We didn't try any other restaurant at the resort, but took advantage of our lovely private kitchenette, and we also went into Huntsville to get take out. My girls love eating in their hotel rooms, and prefer that to going to pricey restaurants, even on vacation!

WINTER ACTIVITIES

My girls tried out the skating rink at the front of the resort. Half of the "rink" was designated free skate, and the other half was for hockey. There were only a few people playing hockey and too many people sharing the small space for free skate! My girls didn't enjoy the crowded area and the bumpy natural ice conditions (they are spoiled by zamboni conditioned arenas!). We brought our own skates from home, but you can easily rent them here.

The snow tubing hill was not "opened" because there hasn't been enough snow to make the tubing runs. However, that did not stop many guests from grabbing their own sleds and going down the hill. We were told that because of this unofficial use of what snow there was on the hill, it packed down any existing snow not allowing them to make the runs. But the hill looked like a lot of fun and I'm sure once the tubing run is operational it would be a blast!

We rented cross country skiis, using their family plan. The gentleman (Ian, I think) in the rental equipment room was fantastic! We told him this was our family's first time on skiis and he took the time to help us get outfitted and gave a quick lesson on how to put the skiis on and directed us to the beginniner course. My girls did a fantastic job with their first ski experience. The course was challenging at times for them with the small slopes, but for the most part it was a level course. We were able to complete it in just over an hour with a lot of breaks!

Our 50 minute trail ride was pricey but definitely worth it!!! I highly recommend this winter activity. The girls working the stables and guiding us (two, one out front and one at the back!) were amazing. They give you a riding helmet, and assign you to a gentle horse (for the most part!). I was told to be careful with my horse as he had a tendency to bite the horse in front of him if we got too close! So I was also on the lookout to stay a bit behind! There are 6 riders per group so we had another couple join my family of 4. They took us out on a beautiful snow covered trail that took up up hill to the highest lookout point on the Deerhurst property, we stopped to take a look and then made the downhill trek back to the stables. We have ridden horses in the Arizona desert, and now in the snow covered hills in Muskoka.....both very different but both sensational and highly recommended. You don't have to be an experienced rider to try this activity. The horses are smart, and self guiding for the most part, following the horse in front of them. You have to know how to occasionly stop them, or get them going but that's it. The horses are obviously very well cared for and patient with all riders.

We could see the Chili-Doggin' activity happening in a pen next to the stables and the little kids looked like they were having so much fun mushing in their own little sleds. The ponies used for the Kids n ponies sessions looked SO cute and friendly. They came up to my girls who were standing by the edge of the enclosure and welcomed little pats to their heads.

During the Christmas break, they have an indoor bounce/play zone. They opened up a large convention room and filled it with two bouncy castles, a large double obstacle course/dual slide, a mini putt, a smaller bouncy obstacle course/slide, fooseball table, toddler ride on, basketball game. This was opened in the morning and then early evening.

The rock wall was always busy so make sure to sign up for this as soon as possible if it is something you're interested in.

The indoor pool was also a big hit with guests was also packed. My husband and daugter went in and the water was cold, and the hot tub too busy they didn't even have a chance to get int! The water was quite deep too for the shallow end. The women's change room is actually really nice and carpeted, with plenty of lockers (no locks, I saw key holes, but no keys!). So I put all of my daughter's belongings (including her runners, winter coat, clothes) into a bag and we brought it out into the pool deck because I was not comfortable leaving it out in the open in the change room.

CLOSING THOUGHTS:

There is a resort fee (I have never liked the concept of resort fees....they should just embed it in the room rate!), and this included free WiFi which was a life saver for my family in the evenings when we would just chill out in the room after a activity packed day! We had an incredible time here and would highly recommend this resort. We hope to come back one day and enjoy the summer activities!

Room Tip: Summit Lodges are newly renovated, ask for Building 51 on the third floor. Golf course views are go...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the comprehensive and glowing review of Deerhurst Resort. Pleased to read that you had a perfect family winter getaway and had the opportunity to stay in one of the Junior One Bedroom Suites, which were renovated January 2012. We look forward to welcoming you back in the summer to enjoy the Waterfront splash zone, beach, hiking, horseback riding, Treetop Trekking, Hummer rides and more.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a lovely stay but as a family with a child we needed better facilities on site for food. The bar in the lobby was rarely open. The restaurant (Maple) had queues during lunch and dinner time. The Maple restaurant is too small for size of the resort. The breakfast buffet was overpriced at 20 per person. Kids stable petting zoo is once a day so if you missed that one then depending on how long you are staying you could even miss it.
This place attracts alot of families and doesnt really need a 200 seater fine dinning restaurant. The tubing hill was closed.
I rate service as low as the restaurant did not meet my expectations and the hotel reception (perhaps because they were overwhelmed) were not very responsive to our questions.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for posting a review. While we are glad that you had a lovely stay, we apologize for the service inconsistencies you experienced and appreciate you bringing these to our attention so we can implement strategies to address them. Our Eclipse Restaurant is currently receiving a face lift and is slated to reopen with a fresh new look on Monday, January 21, 2013. The restaurant’s interior will bring a warmer, cozier feel to the grand room. In addition, our culinary team will introduce an updated menu which will be more inviting for families, based on our guest’s feedback. With the fresh new restaurant design, menu and enhanced service offerings we hope you have the opportunity to return and experience and enjoy the changes first hand.

As you note, we recommend guests visit our website to learn about the many resort activities and offerings we have on site and make advance reservations for activities.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I enjoy Deerhurst a lot, and love the pool. Its nice to go up for a weekend away. I would stay in the main building if possible. Its better to be able to leave your room and walk to dinner, gym,lounge and pool. If you stay on the main floor you can pull up and park in front of your room. Makes unloading luggage a breeze..........................................................................................................

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

We appreciate your review and glad you had a nice weekend away. We look forward to welcoming you back again and encourage you to sign up for our e-club for first alerts re: Resort credit specials, other savings and special events.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My son works there and it is a great place to stay. I enjoyed the room but every time I try to book it I had to stay Hidden Valley. I really enjoyed the scenery and this year we have an exchange student and like him to see it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for posting a review. We are glad you had the opportunity to experience the resort and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our family had a wonderful time at Deerhurst. We were a group of 6 children and 7 adults. The children ranged in age from just under a year to 17. The adults ranged in age from early 30s to 65. There was lots to do for everyone, both indoors and outdoors. The 3 bedroom condo units were the perfect solution for our group. The restaurants were great, and the staff was friendly and helpful.

We look forward to spending more time at Deerhurst in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

We are glad to read that you and your family enjoyed our Lakeside resort! We appreciate you taking time to post a detailed review and will pass your feedback along to our team. We hope that Deerhurst Resort will be your resort of choice for many years to come. See you soon!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Me and my fiancé rented summit loge suite for 2 nights for New Year intimate celebration, we also booked table for 2 for New year eve dinner in “Eclipse”
I write in point form because I want to be straight forward:

1. Summit 1 bedroom condo- greatly renovated, fire place, fully equipped kitchen, nice balcony, you can regulate temperature in the room – just great!
2. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT BOOK PARKING LOT VIEW- THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
3. Xross country skiing- joy!!! Dog sledding- absolute joy!!!!, lots and lots of activities for those families with kids – indoor pool, rock claiming huge playroom, hokey- families with kids will truly enjoy!!!
4. Restaurant eclipse.. Probably really depends on what you enjoy and what you looking for.. if you parents of three kids of course you don’t have time to cook breakfast and you probably want to have a nice break from your home day- to-day routine.. But personally I found it expensive for $19.00 per person with all regular eggs/bacon/bagel that you can easily cook in your room.. Next day we went to Metro store close by and got groceries that I was cooking for next two days and we saved tons of money. So my personal preference was make my own exclusive breakfast, enjoy it in bed with significant one instead of standing in line to get omelet. Same with dinner- in menu it sounds better than it was in real life- just average food- I took detailed pictures of everything and will post it soon..
Dinner was shocking disappointment - you guys wrap in bacon everything))).. And dish for chef??? I’m sorry – first of all dish could feed 4 person, and it was just very poor presentation and some pasta that any person can cook with closed eyes.. Pictures to follow..We were ready to cancel New Year dinner but of course it requires 48 hours cancellation and we didn’t have time to do that…
New Year eve dinner was little bit better but still…I’m not picky diva – I just enjoy good food and if you expect to spend over $200 for new year eve dinner you want food melt in your mouth and what we got..i cook better I must say.. But totally understandable - big place, serving so many people, you can’t really expect that much..And what I really don’t like- appearance of waiter we had on Dec 30. I believe there is particular model how waiter should look like in restaurant like this. I’m sorry but this guy had nails longer than it should be and I’m sorry again he looked like he was drinking for couple days in a row before his shift. Same with other lady that was brining coffee the morning we arrived – her teeth … I’m sorry again and I do not mean to be rude or picky but I believe waiter is the face of restaurant and appearance is something that really matters… oh other things- why meals for new year eve dinner were coming so ridiculously fast??))) Was everything pre -cooked? Too fast, not by etiquette I must say… Nice lady (maybe manager) was walking around to ask if everything was okay and at checkout they also asked you if everything was okay- nah I guess it’s okay , but I really think restaurant is hugely overpriced. I love activities, love room, ability to cook, we had nice time together but restaurant ruin everything – don’t waste your money there, if not into cooking , go to the town to any steak house , beg you!!!
Ps. At check out we noticed charge on visa for that breakfast for 40.00 when we paid cash, thanks God they resolve that fast- MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR BILL AT CHECK OUT

5. ASLO BE AWARE of some amenities fees, room fees when you booking so it will add another 10% of cost of your stay at check out
6. Also, another ADVICE FOR DEERHURST – please make detailed maps of dog sledding directions, mention in your brochure that for cross country skiing people have to go to the sport store- maybe it will save energy your poor receptionists that where very irritated by answering same and same questions over and over

Good time, ( with my own food), dog sledding is great but overall nothing special- probably will try other place next time…

You wot

Room Tip: renovated 'Summit Lodges' Building 52, room 304 any builing that is not looking into parkin...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for selecting our resort to ring in the New Year! We are appreciate the detailed review and pleased to read you enjoyed the activities and of course the newly renovated Junior One Bedroom Suite, located in the Summit Lodges. We are sorry that your dining experience did not your expectations and want you to know we do our best to set our prices to remain competitive and appreciate your feedback as we continue to evaluate this. All of your feedback will be shared with the Executive Team at the resort.

For future visitors. The Resort Amenity fee is common within the resort industry and allows Deerhurst to deliver services and amenities such as guest room and public area high speed internet access, parking, fitness room, indoor/outdoor swimming pools, outdoor tennis, basketball and volleyball courts, beach access & swimming, towels, cross country & hiking trails and our skating rinks. This fee is only 5% of the accommodation package and is stated in all reservation confirmation letters, on our packages and rates section of the website and our reservation agents quote this fee when guests inquire via phone at the time of booking.