“Clean hotel”

Hidden Valley Resort
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The rooms were clean and an ok size. I wouldn't pay extra for a lake view room since I paid extra and the view I had was mostly of the condos between the hotel and the lake (we were able to see a sliver of water). All in all, not really worth the cost but at least it was clean. It might have been worth the money if breakfast was included. Bees nests on the balcony (and it looked like they were on many of the other balconys as well).

Room Tip: Lake view room is not worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Carrie_R_1982
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Hi and thanks for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. So you stayed with us back in September and you are posting your review in February. That is interesting but never the less we love all the feedback we can get. I am glad you found our room clean to your satisfaction. We work very hard to make sure cleanliness is our first priority.
Not to pick apart your review but we do not offer any lake view rooms at our resort. We do however distinguish our rooms by either lake side or hill side and the room that you stayed in and paid a slightly higher rate was newly renovated with several upgrades. You were not paying extra for any promised view of the lake. The balcony is a wonderful extra in September and I know you would have enjoyed the colorful surroundings from that vantage point.
Depending on the package you selected and the date that you stayed you could have had your breakfast included but as a standard we do not include breakfast with the room rate. I hope you return again and that we have the opportunity to serve you. Thank-you again for your business.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've stayed at Hidden Valley Resort a couple of times and attended conventions there also. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and very welcoming and comfortable. It's not overly fancy, but quite nice. The food was very good, however I think it is a bit pricey for what you get.
All said and done it is a great place to stay in the area for the price.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Threekidsathome
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

It was great to have you back with us again. Thank-you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. It is really easy for us to be friendly and helpful when we get to have nice people like you to deal with. We will continue to do more of the same in the future and perhaps the next time you are here we could discuss our food program in more detail. I would love to get more specific details from you. I hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have been travelling to Hunstville for many years. This past summer I wrote a review for Tripadvisor on another local hotel, expressing my disappointment and quest for a new place to stay...well...we've found it! This is not a fancy spot and agree the breakie was not very good but value for your dollar is great here. The rooms are cozy (might get two next time for our family of 5) but clean. LIke most who visit Hunstville in the summer or the winter - you really just need a home base and place to lay your head - there are too many things to do to be cooped up in your room, so why pay lots of money when you can find a good little hotel like this. We will definately visit again. We even stayed through New Year's Eve and were delighted that it was nice a quiet. Pool was warm for the kids and the skiing was so close by. Good job Hidden Valley Resort!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank jennifer99
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

That's fantastic! We are thrilled to be your new "go to" spot in Huntsville. We are fortunate to be close to the ski hill in fact I hope you just walked across the road and skied from our resort. Yes our pool is a very attractive spot for our winter guests with great views of the lake and the Ski Hills. I am somewhat concerned about your breakfast experience however. This is not the quality that I expect for your enjoyment and I noticed a couple previous postings on TripAdvisor shared the same feelings. I assure you that I am meeting today with my chef and we are going to take a closer look at what we offer our guests for breakfast. I am confident that your next visit to Hidden Valley Resort will include a very different breakfast experience for you!
Thank-you for sharing your post and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Having gotten married at Hidden Valley a few years ago we choose Hidden Valley as a nice place for a romantic getaway during the busy Christmas break.

The resort looks great, the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the room was quite large. As it was very cold out we decided to have a nice hot shower before having dinner at the onsite restaurant. We were pretty surprised that there was no hot water. We waited for a bit but still no hot water. We went to dinner anyway and it was fantastic. Couldn’t have been better. Great food and great service at a reasonable price. Getting back to the room we tried the shower again and it was slightly warmer but still nowhere near comfortable. I called the front desk and was told it was supply and demand. At this time I also noticed that all the fixtures in the bathroom, shower head, tub faucet and toilet were all loose and were either poorly mounted or not mounted at all. Also no garbage cans in the entire room. Only a recycling bin. The bed was supposed to be a queen but I could have sworn it was a double. It was also rock hard. The next morning we again tried to have showers and were greeted once again with lukewarm water. If the problem is supply and demand perhaps more supply is in order as obviously the demand is there. All in all I would go to the restaurant anytime but will be staying elsewhere. Too bad. I understand the resort has changed hands a few times in the last few years and it’s time to spend some money and do some upgrades and maintenance. They've got a great site and great looking resort but with experiences like this that will only go so far.

Room Tip: Get a room on the lakeside if you want a view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Guncho
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank-you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor even though it was not the experience that you were looking forward to. Yes indeed we had a hot water problem the night you stayed here. We worked very hard through the night to get it resolved and unfortunately your stay was impacted in a negative way.
I am not sure why you did not have a waste basket in your room but I hope we gave you one as soon as you asked for it.
The bed in the room that you stayed in is a Queen bed and they are firm. We get very few complaints regarding our beds infact we have requests from guests to purchase our beds. I am sorry if it was not to your preference.
I enjoy the food in our restaurant as well and I am very happy to see you would return for our dining experience. I would be happy to discuss this with you directly if you want to contact me.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

This review is a little late because we stayed at Hidden Valley Resort during the Thanksgiving weekend in October.

Over the years, we’ve stayed here at four different times under four managements. Last year it seemed to be an independent hotel, but this year I was directed to the reservation website of Choice Hotels.

We came with a friend, who stayed in a separate room, and both rooms have been renovated. Since the Thanksgiving weekend gets busy, I booked two months in advance, got a discounted rate but was assigned a room without a bath, which I would have liked. The hotel itself is all right. The rooms are clean and are in working order. I always ask for a lakeside room, so there is a pretty view of Peninsula Lake.

We stay at this hotel because of its relative proximity to Algonquin Park. where we go for hikes. Accommodations in the park are either rustic or expensive, so while Hidden Valley Resort is about a 40-minute drive to Algonquin, it is just off Highway 60 and is in the beginning of a beautiful drive, especially in the fall.

What I don’t like about the hotel is the breakfast. The selection is fairly limited: some hot foods that sit in warmers, so they tend to be dry or greasy (home fries, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage). The bread selection is limited to white and wheat loaves, muffins, and good croissants. There are cereals and a fruit salad that is more canned than fresh. This is typical North American fare, but if the breakfast is not complimentary, I would prefer to see an a la carte menu; alternatively, I’d rather pay more and get better quality food. Also, the buffet is supposed to close at 10:30, but by 9:30 staff starts clearing the food. The man who serves could be a little bit friendlier. He isn’t rude, just reserved and curt. Although it would have been convenient to eat at the hotel, the following days, we drove on highway 60 and got better food and service from local restaurants. By the way, our breakfast experience last year was the same.

We will still go back to Hidden Valley because the hotel itself is good, but we’ll eat breakfast somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank My_Aunt
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank-you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you have continued to visit us over the years and that you like us enough to return. I am Sorry that you don't find value in our breakfast buffet and that some of our selections do not meet with your approval. We do not always have a buffet for breakfast and often we do offer our a la carte menu. However, the next time you are here please ask your server Mark (the gentleman you referred to in your comment) if it would be possible to have breakfast prepared to order. If we are offering our buffet menu for breakfast we certainly can prepare your eggs to order. If you were here on Thanksgiving week end we were probably changing over our breakfast buffet to brunch when you saw our team changing up the buffet. These are all valid comments that you shared and I hope that you find satisfaction in my response. Thank-you for your business and we hope that you return again to Hidden Valley Resort.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is a very nice facility. The rooms are well appointed, and very clean. Our room had a fireplace, which was a nice touch. Staff are friendly and helpful, without exception. The restaurant was a nice bonus. It's a good place for breakfast or dinner. The menu selections have something for everyone and the food is very well prepared and presented. View from the restaurant is also nice. We've stayed here several times, and will do so again without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank-you again for your business and your kind comments. I could not agree with you more when you highlight all of our finer points! More and more of our guests are sharing the same feedback with us. We will continue to work hard on delivering our superior customer care and we hope that you will come back again!
Thank-you as well for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I purchased a Jaunt for this resort which included the room, bottle of wine (which was very good), and breakfast to getaway with my best friend of 30 years to celebrate her 50th birthday. The resort was very cold (temperature wise). The staff were friendly. The room was clean, but typical. The beds were comfortable. There were very few people at the resort - if any. I joked with my friend that I had purchased the entire resort just for her and I for her birthday! It's a beautiful location, very country and quiet - which was perfect. We seem to be the only people in the dining room. The kettle chips were to die for and the salad was fresh and good - the hamburgers were disappointing - they were charred and burnt and the buns weren't the freshest. I rarely eat hamburgers and was so looking forward to really good one. Breakfast was good though. My only complaint really was that I had asked for a complimentary upgrade to a lakeview room when I made the reservation and again the day before we went. They couldn't confirm one way or another if that was possible until check in. Upon check in, the desk clerk ask if I wanted to upgrade, I immediately said yes. The view was spectacular. However, I was very uhappy that I had to pay for the upgrade. Really? The hotel was deserted! In my opinion, we should have gotten the best room in the house without having to pay the extra.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank gambogirl

Thank-you for sharing your feed back on Trip Advisor. It is indeed very helpful for potential guests to have your comments to refer to. I attempt to respond to everyone that takes the time to post a review so thank-you again for the opportunity to respond.
I am sorry that your hamburger was unsatisfactory. I am a burger lover myself and I know how it makes me feel when my expectations are not met. You are correct when it comes to having the resort to yourself. It is between seasons for us so we joined forces with Jaunt, the people you purchased the discount voucher from. We agreed with jaunt to a performance contract to deliver a package that their customers (and hopefully ours) would enjoy, especially the value received for the money spent. To ensure that all jaunt customers enjoy the same excellent value and travel experience we hold very closely to the terms of the agreement. That is why we would insist on a charge to upgrade to lakeside accommodations. I am sorry that was a disappointment for you. It is not something that we take lightly. However, I want to be sure we treat all of our Jaunt clients with the same integrity. I hope that you are satisfied with my explanation.
Scott

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntsville
5 mi away
Deerhurst Resort
Deerhurst Resort
#3 of 18 in Huntsville
Algonquin Lakeside Inn

Been to Hidden Valley Resort? Share your experiences!