“Quiet getaway”

Hidden Valley Resort
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I purchased a Jaunt for this resort which included the room, bottle of wine (which was very good), and breakfast to getaway with my best friend of 30 years to celebrate her 50th birthday. The resort was very cold (temperature wise). The staff were friendly. The room was clean, but typical. The beds were comfortable. There were very few people at the resort - if any. I joked with my friend that I had purchased the entire resort just for her and I for her birthday! It's a beautiful location, very country and quiet - which was perfect. We seem to be the only people in the dining room. The kettle chips were to die for and the salad was fresh and good - the hamburgers were disappointing - they were charred and burnt and the buns weren't the freshest. I rarely eat hamburgers and was so looking forward to really good one. Breakfast was good though. My only complaint really was that I had asked for a complimentary upgrade to a lakeview room when I made the reservation and again the day before we went. They couldn't confirm one way or another if that was possible until check in. Upon check in, the desk clerk ask if I wanted to upgrade, I immediately said yes. The view was spectacular. However, I was very uhappy that I had to pay for the upgrade. Really? The hotel was deserted! In my opinion, we should have gotten the best room in the house without having to pay the extra.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank gambogirl
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank-you for sharing your feed back on Trip Advisor. It is indeed very helpful for potential guests to have your comments to refer to. I attempt to respond to everyone that takes the time to post a review so thank-you again for the opportunity to respond.
I am sorry that your hamburger was unsatisfactory. I am a burger lover myself and I know how it makes me feel when my expectations are not met. You are correct when it comes to having the resort to yourself. It is between seasons for us so we joined forces with Jaunt, the people you purchased the discount voucher from. We agreed with jaunt to a performance contract to deliver a package that their customers (and hopefully ours) would enjoy, especially the value received for the money spent. To ensure that all jaunt customers enjoy the same excellent value and travel experience we hold very closely to the terms of the agreement. That is why we would insist on a charge to upgrade to lakeside accommodations. I am sorry that was a disappointment for you. It is not something that we take lightly. However, I want to be sure we treat all of our Jaunt clients with the same integrity. I hope that you are satisfied with my explanation.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Recently my wife and I were trying to decide where to go for my 50th ,Since our schedules didn't allow us to travel abroad we were left with a short term getaway.We noticed on the net that Hidden Valley Resort had undergone a major change in management ,FYI our last trip there was nothing short of a nightmare 3 years ago and getting me to go back there took alot of convincing.First off I phoned the front desk,I spoke with Joy who listened to my concerns with the resort and explained the experience from hell that I had years prior.She assured me that they were under new management and that the place was changing in a positive way,Looking at the website she was right.The Rooms ,Food and Beverage were all being improved slowly but surely and that I would be "blown away with the way the resort now operates".Well let me tell you she was dead right!.Right away upon arrival we were welcomed and greeted warmly,Our room was clean and comfortable.I must say I couldn't get over how nice the bed felt clean crisp linens on an incredible matress!which I had to inquire about because it blew away the one I recently bought for 2k.The food by the way is out of this world,My wife had made arrangements to have a nice quiet romantic dinner beside the Fireplace,TheF@B manager Mary was amazing in making it the best ever! We were introduced to the executive chef Larry who informed me that he was going to take care of us and to sit back and enjoy .He exceeded my expectations.Larry is amazing!! An Artist!!! I just hope the management team can hang on to him,Mary and Larry are such an asset to a place like this.I always thought in previous visits that this tierd resort needed the right people to invest and manage.It seems like Hidden Valley Resort is well on its way to an amazing recovery.When we travel either it be Europe ,the carribean,I do my research .Most of us work very hard and when it comes time to spend money on a trip we want the most for our buck!Well this place has it all.Sure I could have stayed at deerhurst,Spent more But why? I can't wait to see this place in years to come.It has it all.Great food,Clean rooms,Incredible Valley view from the patio and most importianly Soft beds,. A no brainer..We can't wait to come back with our adult kids and enjoy this resort again this winter.....and oh by the way decent skiing is a stone throw away across the road! Just check the hill because its not affiliated with the resort which is understandable.It would be nice to see if they could arrange a ski package down the road in the future...Good luck management team at HVR.The possibilites are endless!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 613MikeD554
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Hi Mike,
Great of you to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. As you can expect I am very happy that you planned a return visit and that you were more then happy with the changes in our operation from years ago! We have worked hard to improve on all of our services and our facility and we think it shows! Based on your review I think you would agree. We are blessed to have a great team of hard working individuals who go out of their way to extend memorable customer service. Thank-you for your business and we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

pros:
- stayed there for one night in early October 2012
- very late check in at 2am but staff still very friendly and polite
- clean 2 double bed room
- decided to walk to Peninsula Lake for sunrise at 5:30am. Staff showed us how to get there

cons:
- bed too small for 2 people

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Happy you chose to stay with us even if it was 2:00am when you arrived. We are here 24 hours to serve you. The lake is breathtaking at anytime but even more so at sunrise! I agree with you that for some people a double bed is small. We have changed most of our room inventory to queen size or king size beds but we still have a few rooms left to change out. Perhaps the late arrival limited our room choice for you? Thanks for visiting us and giving us the opportunity to serve you. Our friendly staff will be waiting to serve you again! It was good of you to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Couldn't believe the service offered from everyone: from Joy at the front desk, to the dining staff and housekeeping! 5 star. We booked here for a hockey tournament and we have experienced many different properties all over Ontario, this is one of the best. The views, the lake, the indoor pool and the service are all top notch. Dining room is beautiful with a view overlooking the lake. Food is impecable....We will return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LoriG241
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Super to hear! Thank-you for posting your review and letting our future guests know just how well we did. We are growing our resort family and we welcome you to the growing list of satisfied customers. I hope you had as much success with the hockey tournament and I hope that your players had fun both on and off the ice. Quite often hockey teams get a bad name and hoteliers grit their teeth when the group arrives on property. Sometimes that reputation is well deserved, in your case not so!
You and your group are welcome back anytime!
Thank-you again for your business and good luck on the ice the rest of the season.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Booked a room for our annual colour tour, and got a deal that included breakfast and a bottle of wine. From the start, our checkin was a pleasant experience, thanks to "John" and his sense of humour. Our room was clean and fresh smelling, with a queen bed and pull out couch....perfect for watching tv.
A nice bonus, was the bottle of wine, which John informed us could be taken to the dining room and enjoyed with dinner...no corking fee either.
Dinner was outstanding; could not have been better. Neither my wife or I have ever had such huge portions of prime rib. Everything was great...compliments to the chef. Our servers, "Candace" and "Chris", were attentive and good natured, without being obtrusive
We should have known by the tour buses in the parking lot, that the resort must have a reputatiion for value, and consistency. We played a round of golf at a nearby course (there are five courses within a few minutes of the resort), enjoyed walking around the area absorbing the beautiful fall scenery and taking pictures.
Breakfast is a buffet, with well cooked and fresh food. Surprised my clothes still fit me for the trip home ! Server/host at breakfast, "Mark", also attentive and good humoured. Sitting in the dining room looking out over the lake, was reminscent of being at a cottage, with the outside deck, wicker chairs, and trees.
Looks like we found "our" place to stay when we are in the Huntsville area.

Room Tip: Because of the age of the hotel, there are some small issues with noisy plumbing, but that's nor...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

I am so happy to read another great review from another satisfied customer. Thank-you Wayne! Your annual color trip is a wonderful way to see how beautiful our part of the country can be, especially with the glorious colors all around us. Our gang was happy to serve you and please continue to spread the good word. We would love to accommodate you and your friends the next time wonderful scenery, great food, excellent rooms and friendly service are on your agenda.
I would like to thank-you for your positive review Wayne and especially thank-you for your business.
From all of us at Hidden Valley Resort,

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our family of 14 stayed at this resort 2 years in a row, and can't wait to return in 2013. We now will be bringing along 15 more family members to enjoy this beautiful resort. We were very happy that you have a few rooms downstairs, so our dog could join in the fun.Our rooms were clean, service at the restaurant and bar was very friendly.The staff at the front desk was excellent. The views of the lake were amazing. Our family would like to thank Kim, John (staff at the front desk) for making our stay won of the best family trips we have ever had, thank-you again.We look forward to seeing you next year .
Rated number 1 in our family Thomson,Karman, and Weatherbie family

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynda216
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Fantastic! We are proud of our resort and we are always looking to share our pride with guests who take us on as their home for family fun. As the general manager it is pleasing to read that our team was so helpful in making your stay as enjoyable as it was. It was very good of you to mention them by name in your review. I am fortunate to be in the position to have a great group of people to work with. They truly enjoy what they do and it is their pleasure to serve you. I know that they look forward to sharing their day with great guests like you and your family. Our business sees a variety of travellers from all over the world and from all walks of life. We can't help but beam when we have the opportunity to meet great folks like you! Again, thank-you for your business and for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed here for a few weekends over the course of 2 months during the summer. My husband was training for the Ironman Muskoka so we needed a place right in Huntsville with access to a lake and bike course. This hotel is overlooking a beautiful lake where you can canoe, kayak and there are tons of hiking trails to enjoy. You are only minutes away from city center of Huntsville and about 30 minutes away from Algonquin Park. The hotel staff is friendly and very helpful. They provided us with rooms on the main floor so we didn’t have to carry my husband’s bike up the stairs. The rooms were spacious with lots of light if you are facing the lake. The beds are super comfortable and there are tons of pillows. This is a family oriented resort with tons of activities to keep the kids busy so I would not recommend it for a romantic weekend away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank-you for the feedback on Trip Advisor. I hope you had success with the Iron Man event? Our guests enjoy the many activities that we offer at the resort and of course our location between the lake and the hills is a bonus when it comes to the type of training that you were looking for. Our weekends are super busy most of the year and I understand your comments regarding romantic get-aways with out children. However, mid week stays here at Hidden Valley Resort with the gorgeous scenery, excellent wine selections and fantastic menu options can make for a very romantic get-away. We try to offer a little something for everyone. I do think that you are accurate when you identify our strengths as a family resort. Thanks for your business and again thank-you for sharing your thoughts.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntsville
5 mi away
Algonquin Lakeside Inn
Trillium Resort and Spa
Trillium Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Port Sydney

Been to Hidden Valley Resort? Share your experiences!