“Would definately go back”

Hidden Valley Resort
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed three nights through the last week of August. Originally we were booked for only two, but we quickly decided a third night was necessary. John at the front desk made our request change for us last minute, which we were happy due to it being a Friday of the long weekend.
We brought our 17 bowrider boat to go out fishing. The launch is down the road by about a seven minute drive, and the hotel allowed us to tie up over night at their dock, which saved us a lot of time.
This is not common practice for the hotel, but being as we were the only people with a boat it was allowed.
The hotel is located right on the water and connects to two other lakes. We took the boat right into Huntsville for dinner one day. Fishing was great. My son caught a trophy bass.
Rooms were clean, and beds were comfy. Pools were warm, although we swam in the lake. They have kayaks, canoes, motor boats, paddle boats, volleyball, basketball, and tennis. Nobody was bored.
Restaurant food was really good, but service was really slow. Didn't matter much, as we were on holidays. Their homemade flakies are to die for, and Pickerel was amazing!
The only downside if there was one, is the hotel is up on a hill. This offers a beautiful view, but it's a hike down to the water. It didn't bother us much, but if you're someone with limited mobility, this hotel may not be a good choice. Also unless you are booked on the main floor, there are no elevators to help take luggage to your rooms, you would have to carry it up or down a flight of stairs.
Overall we enjoyed our stay here, and definately would come back.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Gixxergirl600
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thank-you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us. TROPHY BASS! Congrats. I'll bet there is a young fisherman with plans to return. I hope that you all return again to visit us at Hidden Valley Resort. You have shared excellent information in your review and very accurate in my opinion. Guests with mobility issues travelling to the waterfront will be happy to know we are completing a pathway around the resort to allow easier access and avoiding stairs. The lack of an elevator can be difficult as well however we are always on hand to help with luggage. Fortunately with our lobby on the second floor guests only need to travel one flight of stairs if a room on our second floor is not available. You are right! You don't get Pickerel like that everywhere. We hope to see you next summer and thank-you again for your business and your feedback.

There are newer reviews for Hidden Valley Resort

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We were a group of 13 and were looking forward to a great weekend which we had but it could have been better....here's how. My husband asked the front desk clerk for some information about golf and/or driving ranges, the lady told her she really didnt know anything. How can that be? Its in the middle of all these golf courses, the staff need to be a bit more knowledgeable than that. The same lady was unsure when asked about whether or not there would be a fire on Sunday night, stating she is by herself and really doesnt know....cant she call someone? We also were a bit disappointed in our waitress Sunday night, she was somewhat standoffish at first but turned around by the end but was not warm in the least. We tried to order pizza from the restaurant on Saturday night at 910 and were told they were out, we then called back to order something else and nobody answered multiple times, I think the staff just didnt want to make anything. So we had to order out. The rooms are well appointed, some did not have suitcase racks which is annoying. There is no hot tub which should be standard in this caliber of resort. The beach, docks and chairs area was very nice and the lake was gorgeous. So with a bit of work I think this could be a great place to stay, not sure we will go back though. For your money Deerhurst is probably a better service option anyways.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank-you for taking the time to review your stay with us on TripAdvisor. I agree that continuing to fine tune our operation will make us a more enjoyable resort for future guests to come. I think businesses should always strive to improve their product! I am not sure that it is fair to conclude that no one wanted to make you something from our dining room at 9:10 p.m. on a very busy Saturday night however. I don't want to discount your feelings though. I was not there to see or hear what you were being told. With your permission I will use your feedback in one of our customer service training meetings and I hope you will return again to Hidden Valley Resort.

Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

We went here for a long wknd using one of the deals; all in all it was good ; average good!
The hotel rooms were clean; and the space was ok! It was pet friendly hotel which was an advantage for us!
Hotel had swimming pool; I didn't use the indoor bc I heard from those who already went there that it was so dirty; and the water smelled! I used the outdoor swimming pool; but since there are so many trees around the pool; there were lots of bugs and leaves on the water surface; so couldn't swim much !
The sitting area outside is nice though; facing lake! I liked the Bon fire at night too; also hotel has tennis and volleyball court which is good
No spa on site; for more water activities and spa; we went to neighbor hotel; Deerhurst; which we took advantage of the water activities and cleaner swimming pool and the spa!
The food was Just ok! But the breakfast was better; but they didn't have the a la carte option ; so a full buffet breakfast which had variety!
The lobby of hotel needs improvement!
The staff were really friendly and helpful!
I have been to Deerhurst too; 2 years ago and I think Deerhurst has more to offer after all !(rental bikes; trempoline; spa; mountain climbing; table tennis; golf; etc) But this hotel is good too; the choice is yours and depends on what you want to do !

• Stayed: May 2012
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Thanks for sharing your opinions on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure having you here as our guest. We think that we offer a good variety of food options and water front activities. However, the option of going to Deerhurst to add more activities is a good one. Our outdoor pool is definately surrounded by the trees much like the lake. Yes, we do have to contend with leaves and friendly bug creatures but we do our best to keep it clean.
We hope you return again to Hidden Valley Resort.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was disappointed with management's lack of response to 6 emails and 2 voicemails sent from August 10th until our arrival on August 26th. When I mentioned this to desk staff and displayed my 6 emails, I was advised this was uncommon and a manager would come to discuss my concerns during our stay. Still no response.

I needed to look at 3 rooms before I was satisfied. Our first room - queen bed with sofa bed - smelled badly of cigarette smoke. They attempted to give us a room with 2 double beds, but the view was poor and the room was an obvious downgrade. I was finally satisfied with the king bed / sofa bed with lake view. Check in took over an hour. The attitude of the desk staff was moderate quality at best.

Our room was lovely, but it has a safety issue - the bathroom floor is raised about an inch above the floor of the room and there was no guard, just a sharp edge. There was also a sag in our floor right in front of the bathroom, creating an even higher edge to the bathroom floor. I caught my foot on this numerous times and gouged a good chunk of skin from the bottom of my foot. I showed the issue to housekeeping and she acknowledged that this was the case in many rooms and is often mentioned. I spoke with the front desk and they put duct tape on the ledge but the safety issue remains.

Our housekeeping was excellent and very friendly. Our room was always ready upon our return and she always had a smile for my children when we passed her in the halls.

However, the cleanliness of the facilieis was desperately lacking. The beach was frankly disgusting with bathroom garbage floating in the weeds by the beach. The weeds and scum needed to be raked away. The beach was one of our main enticements when looking for a resort and our disappointment was acute. We had intended to spend much more time enjoying the ammenities the resort had to offer, but instead we left the premises to have our fun.

The pools looked nice; however, my children mentioned to me that they could see floating bandaids in the indoor pool while they were swimming with their goggles. Upon closer inspection, I could see this was true and they were still there on our last day. The floor surrounding the indoor pool was dirty with hair, sand and bugs even at 7 a.m. The change room/bathroom area for the indoor pool was nasty. The floor was not mopped or disinfected once during our stay. I looked at the same dirty footprints, hair and debris for three days. Nor were the appliances cleaned.

2  Thank CSP535

Wow! I have mixed feeling too. Not sure that I should respond to any of these concerns that you are sharing.... It's interesting that the majority of our guests love our property and have the greatest time while they are here. They love the charm in our resort that is operating well over 40 years. They understand the beach is a lake in the Muskokas and from time to time has weeds on shore. They enjoy the complimentary water toys, the food options and the overall friendliness of the staff. It sounds like we did not mop the change room floors or vacuum the pool while you were here. That is definitely an error and a short coming on our part! Not sure how a concrete floor sags but that sounds like your experience. I have no idea how you could have sent correspondence via email to the resort on all of those occasions. Perhaps we did not have your correct email address. I am sorry that you will not likely return.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

When we got to our room it reeked of mildew & was musty. Smelled like a room in one of those sketchy hot & sweaty southern US motels. Called front desk, and asked if they could change us to a room that does not smell and they said they were full and unable to help. There is no express checkout so make sure you budget 20 mins in line on a weekend. Service is a little bit disappointing/rude, we felt like an annoyance in almost every interaction with hotel staff. Both my wife & I found enormous black hairs on our supposed 'clean' towels in the bathroom. Rooms generally feel dated & a bit gross. Would not stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank drschultz
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

I am sorry that you are not happy with your stay with us at Hidden Valley Resort. However I am happy that you shared your feedback with TripAdvisor. We try very hard to please everyone on every visit but from time to time we come up short. YOur business is very important to us and if you felt that our customer service was lacking I am sorry. We are a busy front desk at check in and check out with plenty of activities surrounding our guest services. You are correct in that we do often have long line ups at the desk but we do our best to move our guests along as quickly and as courteously as possible. There is no excuse for dirty towels in your room. I hope you asked for new ones?
We have completed renovations in over 60 percent of our rooms and plan on completing the fully if you do reconsider and return to Hidden Valley you will get one of our renovated rooms.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Big, clean rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff. We didn't have an opportunity to use all the facilities but, for the price, they include a lot of free activities - two pools, canoes, kayaks, tennis courts etc. We'll be back!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter R

Thank-you for your feedback and for sharing with TripAdvisor. We feel the same as you do. We offer an excellent facility that is well positioned and well priced in the market place. We try hard to be all things to all people and for the most part we are very successfull. We certainly feel that we are very friendly and accommodating where ever possible.
Thank-you again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Just returned from spending one night at the resort. The hotel is very nice and the rooms were well appointed as well. Very comfortable beds, pillows and up to date furnishings, etc. We ate dinner at the restaurant last evening and it was good as well. A nice resort.

Room Tip: The waterview rooms are nice.
2  Thank Kelly W
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

I am so glas you enjoyed your short trip to our resort. Perhaps you will return again and enjoy us for a few days. Thank-you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntsville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville
Deerhurst Resort
#3 of 18 in Huntsville
Algonquin Lakeside Inn
Spring Lake Resort Motel and Restaurant

Been to Hidden Valley Resort? Share your experiences!