“Slow Service and Horrible Food”
Review of The Mill on Main

The Mill on Main
Ranked #8 of 86 Restaurants in Huntsville
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was in to the Mill on Main last Tuesday for dinner. I ordered the pork spring rolls and a quesadilla and added chicken. I was not told that the chicken would have curry seasoning and it was not put on the menu. I do not like curry and yes I know the restaurant has Indian food but the group I was with wanted to go there so I went. I ate one bite of the quesadilla because I thought I would try to see if I liked it. I did not. The server and the manager both just said that they could get me another one made. I did not have the onions or mushrooms in it so I said no because I didn't want to have just a cheese quesadilla. The manager was very rude and at the end of the night I had to pay full price for the quesadilla that I didn't even eat. We asked if she could do anything about it and all she did was take the chicken off. Also the pork spring rolls I ordered came with 2 on the plate. $8.00 for 2 spring rolls. I think that is a little ridiculous. Overall I payed $25.00 for my meal and was starving when I left and had to go to another restaurant and pay for a whole other meal. The waitstaff and Managers are very untrained and seem to like to take their time while serving guest. We were there for over 2 hours waiting for our drinks and food. It was absolutely ridiculous and I will not be returning. I am a local as well and will be telling anyone who suggests your restaurant not to go there because of how unsatisfied I was.

2  Thank brittany d

Reviewed August 25, 2013

OK, I said I wouldn’t go back to Mill on Main in my review “2 Strikes You’re Out”, but my friends, and the owner, wanted me to give the restaurant another chance.

So, on Thursday, August 1, 2013, I called Mill on Main to make a reservation for dinner for 4 on Saturday, August 3. I made a point of telling them that we were going to a show at the Algonquin Theatre at 8 p.m. after dinner. We were joined by the same couple we dined with at Mill on Main at this time last year - also before the show. I asked if an hour and a half was enough time for dinner, given the 8 p.m. show time, and we didn’t want to rush. The person taking the reservation said the timing would be fine.

We arrived 5 minutes late, but they were ready for us, with a table on the back deck, and said they knew we were attending the show at 8 p.m. The deck was quite full, as would be expected on a summer long weekend in Huntsville, including a party of 8 who arrived after us.

Our drinks order was taken relatively quickly, but my husband waited another 15 minutes for a beer glass. Our dinner orders were taken at 7:00 p.m., at which time were told that it would be placed before the table for 8 beside us. When our dinner arrived at 7:30 p.m., the table of 8 was already eating! My dinner was lukewarm, so it had to be re-heated and came back to me at 7:40 p.m., leaving 20 minutes for me to eat and run. While the other diners in our party did not complain, their fries were lukewarm.

Our friends liked the Fish and Chips, my husband liked the Guinness Steak & Mushroom Pie, and the Butter Chicken was good, once it was re-heated.

The moral of the story: allow at least 2 hours for dinner, and ask your server to make sure your dinner is served hot. With these caveats in mind, we would go again.

(When we finally made it to the theatre, the party of 8 from the restaurant was calmly seated, waiting for the show to begin!)

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Pleasant staff and food was good + fast. Back patio is very nice: while not as close as the other ones on the water, Mill on Main makes up for it with better food + service. Thank you!

2  Thank Easy-traveller65
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is the second time that we have stopped for lunch at Mill on Main while in Huntsville.

We were quickly seated and brought our drinks. I ordered the "Famous Cheese Balls" and my husband had the salmon dip. I can honestly tell you that I know why the cheese balls are famous! OMG, the cheese inside is gooey and wonderful, but what takes it to the next level is the way that they cook it, There is a crunchy, bubbley coating on the appetizer that compliments the rich smooth interior. It is heaven sent. I didn't try my husbands selection, but I can assure you, he loved it, There wasn't a speck left in the bottom of the pot.

For our main course, we had the "Chicken Club Wrap" and the "Guinness Steak and Mushroom Pie". The seasoning on the wrap was perfect. Just enough tandoori seasoning to kick it beyond a standard club sandwich. My husband was equally impressed with his pie. The crust was nicely prepared, the filling was abundant with steak and mushrooms, the gravy was flavourful.

Above and beyond the food, I would like to mention the service. Thank you very much to Melissa, She was quick and attentive, friendly and polite. Exactly what you love to see from your server. The other two ladies who stopped by our table to refresh our drinks and to clean our plates were wonderful also (sorry, I didn't get their names)

In all, lunch at Mill on Main was lovely. Definately will be back the next time I'm in Huntsville.

2  Thank Kerri-Lyn
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We went here on the Saturday night of the August long weekend.

Reservations: We called to make reservations and they said all they were not taking any more reservations. We arrived at 8:30 and the place was empty. On 6 tables were being served. As a side note he place was shutting down at 9:30...

Live music: We went partly because of the promise of live music. Despite ads on their site and posters at the front. There was no live music.

Service: Jenna our server was possibly the worst server we have had. Everything to unconvinced her. She never anticipated any need (extra plates to share and app, condiments, another bevy). Her attitude was terrible. Was giving us our bill before we finished our food and never even asked if we were done. Maybe she had a date she was late for? The other servers seemed very nice but a word of wisdom to management...Jenna has to go.

Food: The food was good. We had the Thai wings and fish taco which were both tasty. Not out of this world but good. Solid.

Atmosphere: hard to judge based on our server, lack of live music and lack of people. The patio has great heaters so this place would be good even in the fall.

Overall: not as bad as the Cottage (stay away!) but seemed to lack buzz like the Docks has. Check it out, make sure the live music is actually playing and make sure Jenna isn't your waitress.

1  Thank Beenthere T