“What an awesome weekend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Briars

The Briars
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jackson's Point
Lindsay
“What an awesome weekend!”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

This was our first time visiting The Briars. It was like we were being welcomed into someone's home. You can tour the tower and the front of house. We arrived around 8pm. Our lakeside room was very romantic, the front desk delivered ice in a matter of minutes. We enjoyed a scrumptous breakfast buffet, in an open air dining room. Our couples massage was rejerverating. My husband and I felt completely spoiled...yet deserving. In the afternoon we went to Eastwood Riding stables and had our first ever horsebacking experience. We had an hour on the trail after instruction in the corral. Our instructor was perfect for us. The day ended with a superb steak dinner in the formal dinning room; where the meal and service was perfect. Yes, I said perfect. The staff at The Briars welcomed us and were very efficient and friendly. I have recommeded The Briars to many of my friends. I also found out that the organization I work for books The Briars for retreats and conferences. Yes, I would say we absolutely enjoyed our entire experience. Looking forward to returning.

sweeties97, owner at The Briars, responded to this review, September 20, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to write your comments and also to submit for the photos.

It is wonderful to read that your visit was so enjoyable. Your comments capture the heart of what we are always trying so hard to do here at The Briars.

When my parents decided to renovate the Manor House (our family home) so many years ago, the feeling of welcoming guests was very important. The Briars has grown and with our dedicated team we hope to keep the tradition of warmth and hospitality.

We are also pleased to hear you were so well looked after at the horse-back riding.

Thank you again for your comments and we do hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Yours truly,

for The Briars team and Sibbald family, owners,
Hugh Sibbald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Toronto
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I've been to the Briars many times, so you might expect a positive review. Sadly, I can no longer recommend the Briars and will not be returning. I can't really explain the drop in quality except to report the facts.
Started out badly... about a quarter of the room's carpet was sopping wet and smelled moldy; the A/C unit was leaking. They placed some towels under it and that was it -- no follow up or apology for the mess despite having a wet carpet for the entire weekend. My next wet sock experience was in the bathroom... the toilet was leaking at the base. Called it in but no follow-up.
Then it got worse. I'm not a real stickler for room cleanliness so you would likely not see a post from me except for this next bit. A bit of background... I have nut/peanut, peas/beans and seafood allergies. I routinely sign up for dining plans where possible because it allows a rapport with the staff around my allergies. In 34 years, I've never been treated so badly. I spent 90 minutes at Saturday lunch ordering various items from the menu, only to be told piecemeal and eventually that there was nothing on the menu that I could eat. I was told that I should have brought my own food (huh? would have been nice to know at booking time). I was told that other guests are "good about it" and quite happy with their allergy policies because "they aren't dead". I was incredulous, starving and getting upset when the dining room manager finished the discussion with "maybe this isn't the place for you". Despite a promise that Saturday dinner would include something I could eat, nothing changed except that no manager spoke to us after that point. My take: the dining room manager was unprofessional and uncaring and the upper management took her side of the story. For completeness, I should divulge that I fought for and won a $20 discount on the week-end because of the lunch wasted being insulted by the manager. Honestly, I would have preferred a sincere apology.
The take-away for you: if you have an allergy, avoid the Briars, period. It is neither safe nor supportive in any meaningful way. If allergies aren't an issue for you and your family, you might take note of the treatment I received and ask yourself if it is indicative of a resort that cares about people.

8 Thank ListerTheBrave
sweeties97, owner at The Briars, responded to this review, September 27, 2009
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We were very sorry about the frustrations you encountered during your stay. We appreciated you letting us know at the time about the repairs needed. What should have happened at our end was a prompt repair, and we are sorry. Both the problems were easy fixes - no excuses here - and we're using this occurrence in our training. Sometimes, for even the most dedicated team of staff and managers, things go awry - and that's the only way I can understand your food frustrations. We are sensitive to the challenges faced by allergy sufferers. Managers have been trained through a respected program associated with Anaphylaxis Canada, and assisting allergy sufferers is part of every meal. Normally at booking, guests are asked if they have allergies and this information helps us prepare for your arrival. Occasionally a guest may bring a special food item which we have difficulty supplying, but this is generally unnecessary. We had the pleasure of speaking by phone in response to your letter you sent, and trust that you will take comfort in knowing that the suggestions you gave on menu presentation and communication will be most helpful. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back. Your hosts, The Sibbald family
Newcastle
Reviewed August 19, 2009

There is very little that one can be negative about concerning the Briars. The room was freshly redecorated with outstanding appointments including provided robs, swim towels, coffee maker with supplies of coffee and tea. All appliances were fresh and worked perfectly.
The food is very, very good with a good selection at each meal. Portions are very generous and special alterations to menu items are allowed and welcomed. It seems to be impossible to eat your way through the menu in a week since it is always supplemented by specials at both lunch and dinner.
The resort provides activities for folks of all ages-everything from lake or pool swimming to nature walks and star gazing. All facilities, equipment and activities (except golf as the golf course is a separate organization) are included in the per person room rate. This in itself adds to the good dollar value one pays to experience the Briars. One important point is that no one must take part in any of the organized activities. One could be busy and active from 8 am to 11 pm or they could simply relax at their own pace.
The staff (from the grounds keepers to the owners) are the most congenial, polite and attentive people we have ever encountered in our travels throughout North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. They seem to be very happy in their employ which could be due to the fact that they are on contract with a bonus paid on completion of their contacts.They don't have to worry that they would only be employed depending on market factors.
The Briars is much more than a"Hotel'. It is a resort and conference centre located in a beautiful setting. The accommodation varies from lakeside cabins to deluxe suites in the Manor House and main buildings. Of course, prices vary depending on the accommodation that one chooses. All and all the prices at the Briars are typical and competitive for this type of resort.
We will return and would encourage anyone to relax at the Briars.

sweeties97, owner at The Briars, responded to this review, September 26, 2009
Dear Guest: Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. It is very good to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of The Briars. We try to give a an excellent and well-rounded experience in the food, activities and accommodation and we are pleased to see you enjoyed it. It is interesting that you mention the different types of accommodation - we sometimes have guests who stay in a room for their romantic getaway, and visit later to stay in one of the private lodges for a family reunion. Thank you for mentioning the staff - they will be very pleased to read your comments, too. We look forward to welcoming you back, your hosts, The Sibbald family.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I was so excited for my three-day vacation to The Briars. Their website made it look like a heavenly oasis and, due to the price, I figured it must be. Upon arrival, however, I was very underwhelmed. This place is definitely nicer than some hotels I have been in but the price does not meet the level of accommodation. The rooms had poor lighting which made it difficult to iron my clothes with their rusty iron and see what I was doing. The bathroom towels were small, rough, and so thin I could see through them. Our air conditioning did not blow cold air so we were slightly miserable in the August humid head. The exterior of our cabin was less than charming and not maintained to the level of a typial resort. The food was good, but another expensive aspect that did not meet expectations.

That being said, all of the staff was very friendly and helpful, and some activities such as kayaking and canoeing are included in the price of your stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
sweeties97, owner at The Briars, responded to this review, September 20, 2009
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful, but we are very sorry to hear about your other disappointments. Our objective is to delight each of our guests. Each of your comments is carefully considered, shared with staff and management, and investigated with the aim of making improvements.

This summer was very rainy and outdoor painting got behind. We are working hard now in the sunny September to catch up and have redesigned our exterior building maintenance program for next summer to assure more consistency. After investigating we have made several other improvements to the cabin based on your helpful suggestions about the lighting, cooling and iron. There are many things we can also do during a guest's stay. I hope that the things you asked for we were able to help.

We thank you for visiting The Briars. We enjoyed reading your other reviews and wish you all the best in your travels.

Yours truly,

for The Briars Team and Sibbald family, owners,
Hugh Sibbald
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We are a family of 4 looking for a relaxing vacation with activities. Other than golf the activities are lacking . The lake is beautiful but with only 1 broken paddleboat and minimal kyacks and canoes . The kids activities are meant for small children. The pools are small and with few water toys. Our cottage is fine but the ac is either freezing or off. The refrigerator froze my milk and water and the house alarm beeps nonstop. The food has been fine but shockingly expensive. This trip was very expensive and not worth the money

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
sweeties97, owner at The Briars, responded to this review, September 26, 2009
Dear Guest, You wrote this from your cottage on the second day of your week here, and we were very sorry about the frustration. This was the first time the telephone line connecting the 'off season' burglar alarm had been damaged and, unfortunately, the alarm company gave us incomplete instructions on how to silence the trouble signal, so it started to beep eight hours after silencing it - awakening you. This, after the fridge being turned down too low, and the air conditioning difficult to operate, was a very tough start. The cottage was completely gutted and redecorated in 2008, and we were most pleased that you accepted our special offer and some help getting settled in. Thank you for noticing the beauty of the lake - it was extremely popular this summer and we will be replacing the fleet of kayaks, pedal boats, canoes and sailboats for the 2010 season. The kids club, for ages 3 to 10, was perhaps a bit quiet for your two lovely boys. We are looking now at what we might introduce for older children to complement our schedule of family activities. The food, accommodation and recreation were all included in your package and we trust that when all was said and done you felt that you had received good value. We hope we may welcome you back, your hosts, the Sibbald family.
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2009

The service was excellent and the room (one of their inexpensive rooms) was great. The staff were friendly and always greeted us. The rooms were pristine and the mattress (I'm a little fussy) was great. The only complaint is the beach is small and rocky. We had a wonderful time and would defintely go there again.

sweeties97, owner at The Briars, responded to this review, September 27, 2009
Dear Guest, Thank you for your helpful comments. We were pleased that you enjoyed the service, room, bed and the friendly staff. We agree the lake front needs some extra attention. You'll be pleased to know we are working on the following improvements for the summer of 2010 - add some sandy areas, improve the seating and swimming, replace the fleet of kayaks, canoes and sail boats. We look forward to welcoming you back. Your hosts, the Sibbald family.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed here with friends for a reunion, our first visit to this property. My first impression was that the premises were not tired and worn, as properties like this too often are. Everything seems well maintained. The rooms our group stayed in were in very good shape. Perhaps there has been a recent redecoration. The fireplace in the room was a pleasant surprise.

The food ranged from good to excellent. We were quite happy with lunch and dinner, but the star of the show was the outstanding buffet brunch on Sunday. There is a place to get complimentary coffee throughout the day, in an elegant library that would be a great place to curl up and read a book. That is in the original manor house that has a wide veranda looking out over the lawns toward the lake.

We didn't use the sports facilities or spa, but we say both and they seemed very nice, particularly the spa.

The main building has a fascination tower with a two story 'pod' at the top. Each floor is a room that could evidently be booked for dinner or a small reception, or would be a great place to sit and talk, read, or enjoy the view over the grounds and Lake Simcoe as we did. While in the tower we saw one of the cooks picking fresh produce from a vegetable garden on the property.

We're very skeptical of a recent review that had absolutely nothing good to say. None of it matched our experience.

I can't really think of any negatives, except that we booked our group in what turned out to be the rainiest July in memory.

Unfortunately we live too far away to come here often, but we'll try to make it back when we can.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Comfort Inn
#2 of 4 in Newmarket
BEST WESTERN Royal Oak Inn
Whispering Pines Cottages and Vacation Rentals
Whispering Pines Cottages and Va...
#1 of 1 in Jackson's Point

Been to The Briars? Share your experiences!