“Summer escapre to The Biars on Lake Simcoe”
Review of The Briars

The Briars
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jackson's Point
Grimsby, Ontario
“Summer escapre to The Biars on Lake Simcoe”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This past week, we had the pleasure of heading up to one of our favourite Inns, but in the Summer and not for the usual New Years Eve package for my wife's Birthday.

We know the region well, but have never had the opportunity to visit during the summer months so, when the chance came this year, we jumped. Taking our canoe, and booking a Cottage room, we spent two wonderful days as part of a belated B-day for me walking the trails, paddling the Lake Simcoe Shore and experiencing the friendliness of the place.

All I can say is that we found the stay a terrific experience. From the wonderful foods prepared under Executive Chef Trevor Ledlie, to the welcoming staff throughout the Briars, we could not have been more comfortable.

Somehow, instead of feeling that we had come once too often, we talked of our next return before we had spent our last evening there.

To Lelsey, Frederick, Carlos, Shiela and, of course John and Barbara Sibbald who are there to personally welcome guests and chat with old and new, our compliments, and thanks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Grimsbybud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My family stayed at The Briar's Resort for 1 night in June - I had been twice before so I knew what to expect. It was a quick, convenient getaway, only 1 hour from downtown Toronto. On the plus side: Service is always very friendly and helpful. We visited the front desk multiple times to rent bikes, borrow tennis rackets, get directions to the pool, etc. The food is amazing, and I would highly recommend getting the all-inclusive package. Everything was perfectly prepared, and the home-made breads are excellent. Breakfast and lunch are buffet-style but very well done and with lots of selection, including healthier choices. The dining room itself is beautiful, with high ceilings and lots of light. There is also a lot to at The Briars- there is a big beach/park a 10 minute bike ride away, two outdoor swimming pools (a large one by their golf course, and a smaller one near the main building), golf, trails, a games room (ping pong and pool), an indoor swimming pool (we did not go, because it is not air-conditioned and felt like a sauna), the spa, and a small private beach access. The property itself is beautiful and well maintained. On the minus side: Accommodations are average, dated, and certainly not luxury, though they are spotlessly clean. We stayed in an Inn Guest Room on the 2nd floor in the main building. The room was fairly small, carpets dated, ceilings are low relative to more modern buildings, and the bathroom is tiny with a small tub. The mattress could be upgraded. It is typical of older properties. The swimming pools are also dated, though fully clean and functional. Lastly the lake access is small and across the street from the main property. However, The Briars is also well priced relative to other Ontario resort properties, so these limitations are taken into account. I would recommend The Briars to anyone who is looking for great value in a beautiful and convenient location, and particularly for families.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have been visiting The Briars for over 40 years My husband and I started with friends on a golf week-end in 1966. Since then I have been going with my family at least a couple of times a year. The people there have become like my family. We are always greeted very warmly. It is a wonderful "getaway" for us all. We enjoy going for lovely walks in the good weather, and especially enjoy the sleigh rides in the Winter. The dining room is well run and a very lovely dining experience. The spa is a special treat we give to ourselves!!!! All in all, The Briars has been a very special part of my life.

Room Tip: We have stay in many different rooms over the years and have enjoyed them all, but our favourite acc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We go to the Briars a couple of times a year, and we are never disappointed. Everyone is so warm and friendly. We get adjoining rooms facing the lake and we leave our shared door open and wander back and forth. It's just so comfortable and relaxing. The food is abundant and fantastic! Naturally the spa is a focal point of our weekend and it's great to go back to our rooms after in our robes and slippers and savour that "jello" feeling. We also enjoy the beautiful scenery on our walks, and we usually go to the pool and hot tub one evening after dinner. There's dancing Saturday nights so we don't want to miss that! All of our stresses melt away as we drive onto Hedge Road, because it's just like going home!

Room Tip: For our group of girls we like the adjoining rooms, but going there as a couple I prefer the theme r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My girl friend and I stayed a weekend at the Briars for relaxation and a spa getaway. It was wonderful the food was very tasty and all home made, even better was the spa. Our services were excellent I had a facial and a massage and so did she, very relaxing. The young lady who preformed my facial was young and beautiful and very gentle, she knew her stuff. Anyways it was a pleasure to stay and will be back.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank gdiva0
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We go to the Briars regularly but our recent vacation in July 2013 was so relaxing and wonderful. First the front desk service was wonderful. Thank you Ricardo for your wonderful service always. The food was fantastic with a barbeque theme: excellent steak and amazing lamb burgers.

The lake is beautiful. It makes you feel like you have gone away to the Carribbean eventhough you are about an hour north of Toronto.

The Briars is a gem for the whole family. Our kids even had a blast and also learned to appreciate the beauty of the great outdoors: breathtaking lake and beautiful sunsets.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013

A group of us stayed at the The Briar's resort at the beginning of July.

Some negatives about the experience:
-Our reservation was mixed up, and although the front desk tried to rectify the problem it was disappointing that after many conversations about our planned package that it was not ready available for us upon arrival. We came for a girls spa weekend...but ended up with no spa.
-After checking 3x, our room was not ready at 3:30pm, the front desk said they would call us on our cell when it was ready. I went back to the front desk at 5:30 and the keys were sitting there and I had not received a phone call.
-The friend that I roomed with discovered she had flee bites from the hotel room the next day- which included 10 bites surrounding her ankles and foot. I then checked my self and I only had 2 bites.
Some Positives-
-They tried to make up for the mix-up
-The location is great and the grounds are nice
-The food was great
-DJ Dave was wonderful (Saturday night entertainment)
-Our boat tour was enjoyable and informative.

I most likely will not return to The Briars resort because although I enjoyed my time, I did not think it the experience reflected the money spent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Knights Inn Harbour Resort Lagoon City Brechin
Super 8 Barrie
Super 8 Barrie
#3 of 19 in Barrie

Been to The Briars? Share your experiences!