“Not One of Ontario's Finest Anythings” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Briars

The Briars
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jackson's Point
Toronto
“Not One of Ontario's Finest Anythings”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Over the course of our weekend here the only meal we enjoyed was at a restaurant off-site. Our less-than-clean room was average at best with the most uncomfortable pillows I've ever slept on. When I tried to let the person at the desk know about our concerns, she kept taking other calls, and finally left the desk, too busy to hear feedback. We won't be returning.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow and ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank E M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Briars is our go-to place for a relaxing stay, great food and service and of course the spa! When we need to get away from the world, even for a couple of days we head to the Briars. I love being able to look out of our room and see the gorgeous front lawn right down to Lake Simcoe. Plus we love to walk through the trails. Just an all round great holiday!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

After seeing a review of "Very Good" on TripAdvisor, I had high hopes for this place. My teenage son and I were in Newmarket for a ball hockey tournament and ended up needing to stay the night, and so we thought that since we drove that far we might as well find a place on the lake. I called and got a reservation at a good price - $159 ($206 total) for the night including buffet breakfast in a room with a queen bed and sofa bed. (And if you're thinking that isn't a good price, check out my review of "The Highwayman" hotel in Orillia, which cost just about as much and was dreadful.)

When we arrived in Jackson's Point, I was excited to find a cute little town on Lake Simcoe. The Briars looked beautiful as we drove up and parked. The outside of the building has loads of character on a sprawling lawn with croquet and badminton areas and a small inground pool.

Service at the desk was average. The manager was there and a young woman on the phone constantly taking reservations without pause. Even the manager picked up the phone twice while assisting us, which I find a bit rude but understandable. And for the price we were paying, I couldn't complain. The manager assisted us and provided lots of details about the property and activities, but there was a stiffness about his manner rather than a genuine friendliness. Someone else approached the desk while I was there and everyone just seemed a bit more tense than I would expect at a holiday resort on the lake.

Our room was in the more modern wing of the building, floor one, room 111, with a partial view of the water from afar. The room was small and decorated like my grandmother's place - florals, blues, pinks - and smelled like her apartment, too. The bed was comfortable and there was a cheap television with cable. Wifi was fine, with occasional pauses while watching videos. The toiletries were lovely - "Pure Herbs" I believe they were called and smelled great, but the shampoo really dried out my hair. I liked that they were in squeezable containers instead of the usual small sample bottles, as with long hair there is never enough conditioner in those.

We wondered the grounds and found a small swimming area across the road at the lake with loungers and lawn chairs set out. The place was pretty, no doubt.

The next morning we went to the buffet breakfast when it opened at 8am. We weren't greeted by staff, and I had to ask where to sit. After being told to sit where I did last night and explaining we weren't there for dinner, I was brought to a book and asked my last name. The waitress then seated us. As we got up to get food, a waiter approached and asked our last name and room number. I explained that I'd just been checked in by a waitress and he asked yet again. I shook my head and walked away, as he clearly was challenging my story. I think it would help if the restaurant provided coupons so that guests are treated like impostors.

The food was nothing to write home about. It was your typical breakfast buffet with scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, toast, cereal, fruit, some sad looking pancakes and french toast. The assortment was good, but for some reason I was expecting better food. When we approached the buffet, none of the five plus waiters came to remove the lids for a few minutes, and there was nowhere for me to place the hot lid. The waiters just seemed generally unfriendly, except that we were asked if we wanted coffee four times and then finally when asked last the waiter did the right thing and removed our cups.

After breakfast, we wondered up to the tower at the top of the elevator shaft. It looks really neat from the outside. When we got to the fifth and sixth floors in the tower, it was a sauna! No air conditioning, no windows open. The material on the seating benches was torn in some spots, and again, the 1980s decor was prevalent. The view was lovely, but wear a towel and be prepared to sweat!

Overall, I wasn't impressed. The staff I encountered was stiff and unfriendly, the rooms were clean and adequate but not the "resort quality" I would have expected. Maybe my expectations are too high-- and again, we got a great price, so from that perspective I couldn't really have asked for more. On the other hand, friendliness costs nothing to the hotel, and I'm sure I could have overlooked the other flaws had we felt properly welcomed and at ease from the get-go.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank irispiral
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Found this treasure by accident while looking for a place to eat. It is an amazing facility with a great view of Lake Simcoe. It is still owned by the Sibbald family! Food was excellent. Service was great. Everyone left happy. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank burr6013
Ajax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Happen to be in The Briars over last two weeks. The personnel were friendly and the rooms are clean and good. Overlooking the lake simcoe in jacksons point it has breathtaking view. The place is an hour drive north Tornt and has nice facilities...It has spa, swimming pools ( indoor) and nice sports room. The tower had a great view of the lake. The Bar was nice with a little patio , nice mahogany furniture makes the place a warm and welcoming. The best part of the visit was the gourmet meals and the lavish breakfast and lunch buffet. The menu changes every week so you never get bored. So if you plan t visit please get an all inclusive meal package, enjoy the great food, relish your talisker in the bar and simply relax!!! Nice place to unwind!!

Room Tip: Plan to visit the tower and the roms overlooking the lake are great!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

let me first say that the staff were excellent and the restaurant was very good. However, the grounds were unkept and the rooms need an upgrade. Call me old fashioned, but the "new environmental" look of letting the grass and weeds run wild doesn't work for me, it looks unprofessional and shoddy. The room in the main lodge was on the small side and clearly in need of new mattresses, bedding and towels. I like the location, please reinvest in this special property and restore it to its grandeur of the past.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tinker56
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Tinker56,

It has been a struggle so far to keep the lawns cut with the constant rains this spring, and keeping everything looking as tidy as we'd like. We are in the process of updating our bedding in the Inn and think you'll be very pleased with the results when all done later this summer. Thank
you for your comments, we hope to have you back for a visit to let us know what you think of the
changes.

Bob Law , Resort Manager
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed in one of the Inn Plus Guest Rooms which has a balcony that over looked the garden with a view of the lake. It had all the basic amenities any newer hotel would have, like a nice coffee maker, Wi-Fi and even bath robes. The TV never worked the entire time we were there (even with a couple complaints to the front desk). We were not there to watch television anyway so it was not a deal breaker. The bathroom could do with some updating though; it was showing its age. My wife had a deep tissue massage and enjoyed the Spa. The best part of the resort was the restaurant. The food was very good and the service was exceptional. Basically an old hotel with “character”, as my wife described it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Horseshoe Resort
Horseshoe Resort
#7 of 19 in Barrie
Whispering Pines Cottages and Vacation Rentals
Whispering Pines Cottages and Va...
#1 of 1 in Jackson's Point
Fern Resort
Fern Resort
#4 of 14 in Orillia

Been to The Briars? Share your experiences!