“Overall a Good Experience”
Review of The Briars

The Briars
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jackson's Point
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Ended up here for 2 nights after our flights to Florida for March Break got canceled. Visited previously 8 years ago - nothing much has changed! Rooms are on the small side but comfortable. Bathrooms are showing their age a bit. Overall the staff are very friendly. All the dining room staff are from Jamaica which is a little bizarre. We found they ranged for having very outgoing personalities to the complete opposite. Breakfast and lunch are buffets - average fare, nothing spectacular. Dinner is from the menu (which was falling to pieces) and was generally good although they seemed to skimp on desserts the last night - my daughter's "medley of ices and ice cream with a cookie" was 2 scoops of vanilla and no cookie. If I'd paid the $8 separately for that I would have been furious. The rating for the resort say it's not great for teens. We have a16 year old and she had a great time, even forsaking the iPod to play board games, ping pong, pool and cross country skiing. We noticed on check-out a few people were quite upset with the 15% service charge that gets added to the bill automatically so be aware with this and tax you're paying 25% more than the basic per person rate. In general it was as we remembered it and we would probably return. Not a cheap getaway though.

• Stayed: March 2008
There are newer reviews for The Briars

Reviewed January 27, 2008

This was a girls weekend getaway. There are not enough wonderful things to say about the staff, right from the Front Desk (one of us locked our keys in the car) they arranged for someone to be there to remedy that within 7 minutes! The shuttle van drivers, Alex, Luke and Omar, were prompt, reliable and so much fun. The dining room staff, Rebecca, Germaine and Romaine, whatever our special request...they delivered! The meals were scrumptious, thank you to the chefs! Dancing Saturday night to great tunes provided by a great D.J.! Our cottage "The Eagle" was clean, well stocked with extra pillows, blankets, and logs for the fire! The sleigh ride was well organized, wished it could have been longer, thank you Harrisons! The pool/hot tub/sauna, lovely. Overall, great value for the money, much more than we expected. We had a an absolutely STUNNING time, thank you to everyone at the Briar's, we will be back!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jagdrules
Reviewed January 2, 2008

A great winter retreat, very kid-friendly and relaxing. Food is good, especially the a la carte dinners. Skating on the pond, tobogganing on the hill, sleigh rides all included. We rented a cottage which was a kilometre or two down the road from the main resort. We appreciated the wood-burning fireplace but it was a bit far for our two preschoolers to walk each time, so we mostly drove to and from the lodge for meals and activities. Next time, would choose to stay in the main building.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank CMH70
Reviewed December 17, 2007

My Husband and I stayed there for our first anniversary...for the price we paid I was expecting excellent customer service but my expectation were not met at all. The staff was very unfriendly. The service at both restaurants were poor, we had wait a long time to order something, no one would come to our table to ask if we need anything. I didn't feel I was at a 5 star resort at all!! Will not recommand this place.The Spa was OK but nothing special!!!

• Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank artaa
Reviewed November 26, 2007

My mother and I went here for a day spa break. The booking apparently wently smoothly but that's it. We arrived to unfriendly staff, no locker room (bags and purses had to be left behind reception in a closet), the robes had hair on them and didn't smell like they'd been recently laundered. The pool and sauna are in the other end of the building in the basement. We had to go down there then back up to the main reception for towels. The showers at the pool were wide open and had no soap, even though the sign on the door requires bathers to wash with soap. We were taken up to the 'tower' for our lunch. Which had a nice enough view, but otherwise shabby little tables and chairs with our sandwich and salad left there under saran wrap. We were also given a bottle of water and a plate of very unripe fruit, also under saran wrap. When we asked whether there was anyone there to serve or get us a coffee after lunch, we were cheerfully told no, we were on our own! The sandwich wasd cold and the salad decidely uninspired. We decided then that we had had enough and cancelled the rest of our day. Feeling not at all pampered, but well exercised from all the stairs and travels we undertook between the spa, the pool and eating area.

If you have ever been to a 'real' spa, don't go here. This was definitely an add on/afterthought and is not worth your time or money. St. Anne's is lovely... we've rebooked there.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank UMPRPP
Reviewed July 6, 2007

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely long weekend at the Briars in late spring, a quiet time to visit this pretty, laid-back resort. Our room was nicely decorated and comfortable, and it had a small balcony overlooking Lake Simcoe and the green expanse of resort property.

The food was wonderful, especially the pancakes at breakfast, a scallop dish I had for dinner one night, and the crème brûlée, which I ordered twice.

I enjoyed a couple of spa services, while my husband played at the golf course that's adjacent to the hotel.

All resort staff were pleasant and helpful. The hotel has hired some wonderful dining room wait staff from Jamaica, Wales and other distant resorts to help handle the summer influx of guests. These young servers were very charming, and I'm sure their expertise will address some of the concerns of earlier reviewers.

The hotel had quite a few odd staircases and twists and turns. As such, I would not recommend it for guests with handicaps. Also, in the spring, with no lakefront activities, the hotel seems more suited to adults traveling without children.

• Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank Basil007
Reviewed June 20, 2007

We stayed at the Briars for our honeymoon. It's in a gorgeous location and the grounds are immaculate. I love the older historical places, the Briars has a lot of history. We arrived early but we were able to tour around their facilities to get to know them a bit better. Around their check in time of 4 we picked up our key. When we got to our little secluded cottage (we were at the fairway). It looked like a little trailer from the outside but inside there was a comfortable REALLY big bed, jet tub the bathroom even had a heating lamp, we thought that was cool lol. There was also some more information on the Briars and it's local attractions on our table.

My new husband had a big problem with his tooth and we didn't know where the nearest dentist would be, a phone call to the front desk and they were quickly, without fuss able to point us in the right direction, they even asked us to drop by the front desk before leaving so they could give us a map. VERY helpful, curteous staff.

On our last day there we decided that we wanted to play cards so we called the front desk to see if they had some, they said they did and that they would bring them to US! WOW..didn't know that was included in our stay lol. They called though sometime later though and explained that they couldn't find any cards and that the lady would go to the dollar store to get them but that they were closed she would have even gotten her husband to bring some from home if they had any. She said that if we wanted to see what board games drinkwaters had she would get that and bring that instead. Above and beyond! Fantastic.

The maids there are sneaky lol I say this with the utmost respect. The first day there we got breakfast brought to us. Very nicely put together. The maids didn't show up til AFTER lunch on this day. Day 2 we went to the manor for breakfast and the maids had been while we were at breakfast!! How do they know when we're not there other then our car not being in the driveway? lol

The food was absolutely amazing, it seems like all we did was eat lol. I even asked our waiter Hylton to show me how to fold those napkins so pretty. He was very accommodating and patient. Thanks again.

The Briars was a wonderful getaway without our kids, no cooking to do and just getting to know me and my husband.

We will be visiting the Briars again same time next year!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
#8 of 19 in Barrie
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Barrie
Knights Inn Harbour Resort Lagoon City Brechin
Best Western Plus Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre

Been to The Briars? Share your experiences!