“Wonderful experience”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: HWY 8
Description: The Crown and Crumpet Tearoom is a British Tea room with bed and breakfast rooms in the heart of wine country situated in the lovely village of Jordan. The food is prepared by your host Lorraine and is baked fresh daily and sometimes scones are baked up to 3 times a day on busy days. Serving Lunches such as deep dish quiche made in house or hot Paninis and wraps daily and the house specialty is High Tea served all day on three tiered platters filled with yummy sandwiches, our famous scones with home made preserves and Devon cream and topped off with Yummy cake bites. We now offer an outdoor deck as well as a Downton Abbey Theme parlour where we host Downton Abbey Afternoon Teas as you relish the history of Highclere Castle and its aristocracy who lived there. The Crown and Crumpet also offers themed events from the era including Downton Abbey dinners and Garden Parties and Tours to UK to visit and meet the current Earl of Carnarvon at Highclere castle, UK. Visit the local shops and the lovely nearby museum and enjoy a lovely day out or weekend away!
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My friend took me to your Twilight Tea in February for my 65th birthday. The food was delicious but the conversation even better. You took the time to sit and chat even though I am sure you were very tired. Our servers, your children were absolutely charming. But the icing on the cake was your son Oscar!!!. We were so impressed by him. I meant to write earlier but never got around it until today as I heard Tom McConnell on CKTB radio talk about the School Board meeting he attended. He spoke so highly of a young man named Oscar who was a speaker at the meeting regarding the closing of Jordan Public School. When I heard this I knew it had to our Oscar, your son. I called my friend right away to tell her about it. You must be very proud.

Di Doucette

1  Thank dthln

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I recently went to this charming little tea house with my best friend and our daughters. The girls (teens) were thrilled to pick out their own teacups from the dozens arranged to choose from. (so was I...it was fun!) The room is cozy and decorated "shabby sheik" with mismatched china, napkin rings and chairs. My friend is a decor fanatic and she loved it.
The staff is English, so the accents add to the whole experience. The "tea" was amazing. Hand made treats, scones and sandwiches were delicious! The cook (also English) came out to talk to the customers. Overall, we left there looking forward to our next visit.
Be sure to stop into the tiny shop for tea leaves and English treats and accessories before you leave. Very decent prices!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

First time experience a The Crown and Crumpet and I will be back.

I had steak and mushroom pie with mashed potatoes and of course scones and tea! Service was very attentive. I don't see anything wrong with the owner's son serving, he was very polite and attentive, it definitely added to the charm of the place. Steak pie was wonderful..hit the spot on a cool day.

It is a very relaxing experience, we were able to enjoy our time there without feeling rushed as some more popular tea rooms I have been too.

It is a family business and I think its wonderful that the entire family is involved. They are trying to do their best..is everything going to be perfect no, but this is part of the charm of a family run business and I would suggest everyone just enjoy a relaxing time there.

I will definitely be back again and will recommend it to friends!

1  Thank pattertl
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I just came back from sharing a wonderful afternoon with three of my favourite people at the Crown and Crumpet. We shared memories and laughs over a wonderful high tea. Will certainly returned. The sandwiches were fresh, the scones were delicious and the cookies and cake were a wonderful way to end our visit. The service was prompt and very attentive. Thank you!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was really disappointed with my experience at the Crown and Crumpet. I am glad I tried this place on a groupon and did not pay full price for this poor experience.

Here are some reasons why we did not enjoy this establishment:
- we were given the milk container off of a used and dirty table....no idea why we could not have a fresh container of milk. We did not know how long it had been sitting on the table (the table was dirty as someone had just left) or if someone had dropped something in it or anything.
- we were served by the two children of the owner....I found this to be a little unprofessional as the one child didn't even have socks or shoes on.
- the scones tasted stale
- we and others near us were charged tax on the groupon which is fine.. but everyone was told by the owners son that he did not have change when presented cash (I think this is his attempt at earning a better tip). The people beside us insisted they get change (their bill was $6 and all they had was a twenty dollar bill). They did eventually get change but I found this a tacky and sneaky way to try to get tips

It really is too bad....the location is perfect and the house is adorable. But we will not be back. Next time we want to spend $50 on high tea we will go to Queen's Landing in Niagara on the Lake where we know the service is professional, the food is fresh, and the kitchen is clean.

1  Thank keej89
lorraine s, Owner at The Crown and Crumpet, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

I am so sorry you didn't enjoy your experience.
We try as a family to do the best we can in every situation. On busy days we do sometimes chase our tails and I never allow my younger one in the dining room without shoes so I must have missed that one.
I wish you had spoken to me personally at the time as I would have done everything possible to make your experience enjoyable. Without you, our customers we have nothing and it is my passion and mission to make my customers happy. In your case we seem to have missed this opportunity and that is very regrettable that we could not have been given the chance to put things right there and then.