“I want the old tearoom back..”
Review of The Crown and Crumpet - CLOSED

The Crown and Crumpet
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: HWY 8
Description: The Crown and Crumpet Tearoom is a British Tea room with bed and breakfast rooms in the heart of wine country situated in the lovely village of Jordan. The food is prepared by your host Lorraine and is baked fresh daily and sometimes scones are baked up to 3 times a day on busy days. Serving Lunches such as deep dish quiche made in house or hot Paninis and wraps daily and the house specialty is High Tea served all day on three tiered platters filled with yummy sandwiches, our famous scones with home made preserves and Devon cream and topped off with Yummy cake bites. We now offer an outdoor deck as well as a Downton Abbey Theme parlour where we host Downton Abbey Afternoon Teas as you relish the history of Highclere Castle and its aristocracy who lived there. The Crown and Crumpet also offers themed events from the era including Downton Abbey dinners and Garden Parties and Tours to UK to visit and meet the current Earl of Carnarvon at Highclere castle, UK. Visit the local shops and the lovely nearby museum and enjoy a lovely day out or weekend away!
Beamsville, Canada
“I want the old tearoom back..”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was very excited to hear that the tea room in Jordan had opened again, but upon visiting I was disappointed... When the previous tea room was open I would attend twice a month, I have only been to the new one a couple times and it is just was not that same. The service at the Crown and Crumpet was fine and the food was not bad, but they had no homemade lemon curd to serve with the scones (unlike the last tea room). Also, the gift shop with the previous owners seemed to be much more tasteful and sold sweets, home, and garden decor. Now the gift shop has all this British stuff and overpriced teapots that I have seen in the second hand store (I saw a $25 teapot in the store that Shoppers was giving away about ten years at Christmas time and I have seen many of those exact teapots in second hand stores for like a dollar!). When you walk in there is a big picture of the Queen and in their menu they brag about their ‘royal’ connections and how they spent one day with Prince Andrew. It is really tacky appears to be a shrine to the royal family, it is kind of snobby... too bad :(

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank 574michelle
lorraine s, Owner at The Crown and Crumpet, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your review it is always good to have feedback.
I guess running a business such as this as a family it is hard at the beginning to spend the thousands of dollars the last owner did on the beautiful gift shop she created. She certainly did have wonderful taste and beautiful items and I wish I could afford to do the same.
Sadly I am not in that position yet but with hard work hope to be able to add more items as we go on.
I do make lemon curd homemade, as well as home made jam but traditionally scones are not served with lemon curd however if I know you are coming I will always try to make sure I make some fresh for you.
I hope as we grow and get more established you will try us again..

St. Catharines
“Charming”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I visited on a cold wintery day and it was lovely to enter this beautiful sun filled dining room and relax with High Tea. The selection of teas was wonderful, making it hard to choose which to try. My husband is not a tea drinker and Lorraine quickly accommodated him with a pot of freshly pressed coffee. The scones were perfect and served with cream & jam. There were three different sweets, two types of sandwiches and two types of scones on the three tiered plate, so more than enough variety. Lorraine and her son are charming and love to talk to everyone. We will definitely be back.

• Visited February 2013
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“We found you gracious and charming”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

One dismal winter weekend we made the drive to Jordan's C&C Tear room. On arrival everything brightened up, we found the best feature of this place to be the welcome and friendly atmosphere. The owner Lorraine was very accommodating, despite the fact that it was the one Saturday that everyone wanted High Tea, irrespective of the time of day, and she had been busy all day when we decided to pre book and show up at 4pm.
The best was, we found the servers the most friendly and happy, so if there were any setbacks (there were none) one would not notice it. The servers at this beautiful tea room were the owner’s charming young children who made sure that people were taken care of. The host took the time to come out and chat with us and by the time we were ready to leave, we felt we had been to the Crown&Crunpet many times.
The High Tea was presented well and the pastries were delicious, (better than a few places that over charge and under deliver) the ambiance was great. We also did opt for an additional platter or two which we enjoyed thoroughly.
The Tea room was pretty full and we were the last to leave, even though Lorraine had a long day she found the time to chat and we did not feel that we had over stayed our welcome
Kudos to the two young servers (who are a part of the charm) and the food, it all added up to a lovely afternoon. We wish Lorraine well and encouragement in making this the perfect 'Tea Break' point to stretch one’s self on the way to Niagara, instead of the busy Rest-Information stop on the way.

• Visited January 2013
lorraine s, Owner at The Crown and Crumpet, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. It means so much to us as a new family business to get feedback like this.
I look forward to seeing you again soon!
Killiney, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely Tea”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I visited the tea room while here on holiday from Ireland and I have to say it was a fantastic experience! The dining area is bright and welcoming and the owner is very friendly. I was impressed with the selection of teas and the delicious food served for high tea. It was a great afternoon and a very authentic tea room experience. I will be sure to visit the tea room again when I return for future holidays.

1 Thank 212297Wendy21
lorraine s, Owner at The Crown and Crumpet, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are delighted you enjoyed it and hope to see you again on your next visit!
Canada
“Lovely High Tea”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We visited this lovely tea room in Jordan this afternoon. I had my daughter and two grandchildren with me, and all of us thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. My daughter and I had the high tea, which consisted of sandwiches, fresh scones, with Devon cream, and strawberry lavender jam. the children had the cream tea, which is a good value at $9, and includes two scones, with your cream and jam, and tea. We all enjoyed picking out our teacups, and the dining room was lovely and cosy with a nice fireplace. The owner Lorraine, works really hard to make sure everyone goes away happy, and as everything is made by scratch by herself, I think she does an amazing job. Definitely will be back to this wonderful gem in Jordan.

1 Thank readytobook
Thank you very much for your review and your kind comments. I am so glad you liked it so much and it means a great deal to me when I make people happy in such a way.
I look forward to seeing you again soon!