“Disappointed Traveller”
Review of Inn On The Twenty

Inn On The Twenty
Ranked #1 of 3 Jordan B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed for one night in a loft suite. Very, very expensive for what you get. Room was stuffy, especially in the loft bedroom. Felt dated and in need of a contemporary touch. Upstairs bathroom was huge but empty and shower was a plastic built-in type with a fabric curtain. Nespresso machine but poorly stocked with coffee and accompaniments. Breakfast was delicious and service in dining room was very good. Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CANADIANTEXPLORERS

Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I had the wonderful experience of spending a night at this Bed and Breakfast. What a great time we had. From the moment we were greeted at the front desk the staff could not do enough for us. They personally showed us to our room which was a lovely alcove room decorated in tasteful antique furniture. My husband and I had booked massages in the spa which was so relaxing, and I would highly recommend. I just cannot say enough about our special night at the Inn on the Twenty. Cannot wait to go back again. Thanks

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at the Inn for one night and I cannot justify the cost. Sure the rooms are nice but for that money we got 2 chocolates and a breakfast of leftovers from dinner. On top of that there was a wedding party staying across the way and they were loud till about 2 am. We also forgot out iPhone charger in the room which we were told that did not turn up. Well I don't think it magically disappeared. Over rated, overly expensive and I didn't not appreciate the attitude from the staff.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank I M
heleniot20, Owner at Inn On The Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

The guest left a charger plugged in the room. By the time he called, the room was occupied again and we undertook to check when we that guest checked out and advised him of the same. The charger has been recovered and he has been advised as such. We have long term staff who do not take things that are left behind; indeed, we have a cupboard full of chargers as unfortunate proof of that! Apparently chargers are the most often lost item for all hotel guests because they are inconspicuous and often plugged in in out of the way places.
The breakfast served on the date of stay was smoked salmon hash with poached eggs and hollandaise. We house smoke the salmon specifically for this dish and do not have it elsewhere on the menu...it is not a leftover item as suggested. We do have a salmon tartar on our dinner menu, but it is not smoked and is not the same product at all, but perhaps this is the genesis of the curious comment about breakfast?

Reviewed September 7, 2013

On Oct 30, 2011, Pony and I got to go on my first Sambassador experience, which was a getaway to Inn on the Twenty in historic Jordan Village. It turns out that the available weekend they had was a few days before our 1 year anniversary, so it made the experience even more special. Included in the package was:

One night accommodation in a two storey Loft Suite
$50 gift card toward dinner
Breakfast at On the Twenty restaurant
Free makeup application with any spa service at The Spa on the Twenty
15% off all spa services(excludes massage)
Complimentary parking
Farewell gift

Jason and I headed out to Jordan Village on Saturday afternoon. The drive should have taken us about an hour and 20 minutes, but it took us over 2 hours to get out of the city due to the Gardiner Expressway being closed! As soon as we hit the highway though it took us no time at all to get there. We arrived just after 5pm and pulled into a picturesque little main street, centered around the Inn. Check in is at 3pm but we called ahead to let them know we'd be late. They were expecting us and had our room ready and a free wine tasting certificate to use at the Cave Springs Cellar wine tasting bar.

We headed straight across the street to catch the wine tasting before our dinner reservation at 6pm. We chose the CSV Pinot Noir, the CSV Chardonnay and the CSV Pino Noir Dolomite. CSV means that the grapes have been planted since 1974 and they hand pick the best clusters for each year. Jason bought us a bottle of CSV Pinot Noir and we ran back to our room to get dressed for dinner.

Everything is close in Jordan Village and we walked across the street to the On the Twenty restaurant. They sat us at a table by the window and we spent our dinner looking out across the Twenty Valley. The atmosphere was relaxed and definitely perfect for my dress.

The food was absolutely delicious. We started with an Amuse Bouche - a mussel topped with pear and fennel; I had the Truffle Scented Linguini - woodland mushroom ragoût, organic pole beans, parmesan tuile, and Chardonnay cream and Jason had Ontario Heritage Beef Tenderloin - Ontario chanterelle and foie gras ragoût, pommes Anna, cipollini and Cabernet butter and we paired it with a carafe of their CSV Pino Noir Dolemite. The food was fabulous - Jason says "It was amazing" and he's got a pretty good palate. We also commented on the portion sizes because they were perfect, just enough that we both ate our whole meals (for me this is no small feat!).

After dinner we went back to the hotel room to taste our bottle of Pino Noir and I got changed again to go for a walk to find the Jordan House Tavern. There was a haunted house tour happening in the village and there were people dressed up as ghosts hiding all throughout the area. They definitely scared me seeing someone in the shadows, but we actually had to ask a couple of ghost girls for directions!

The Jordan House Tavern is adjacent to the Jordan House Hotel and "there has been a roadhouse on this site since 1844 and it has hosted everything from church services to vigilante meetings in its history." We stopped in for beers, shots and great live music by Jay Maher - who played a great cover of Neil Young's "Hey Hey, My My" that made me want to sing it.

After drinks we went back to our cozy loft sweet and drank wine in front of the fireplace before falling asleep in the giant king sized bed - which we absolutely need to get for our house. I had the best sleep and woke up the next day around 830am - I know, seems early but I've been on a crazy schedule lately so this was pretty good. We went back over to Dine on the Twenty for breakfast which was a mini plate of pastries cornbread muffins, rosemary & cheese tea biscuits, apple danish and a two other pastries we didn't try, a fresh fruit cup, fresh orange juice, tea or coffee and the choice of a cold cereal meal or hot eggs benedict or eggs florentine. Of course we had the eggs! Jason the benedict and I had the florentine. If you've ever eaten breakfast with me you know that I can't eat runny poached eggs. They have to be hard or I'll send them back - but they made the perfect eggs and we both thought their hollandaise sauce was excellent.

From breakfast we went back to our room to relax before our massages at 1030am (this was not included in the SambaDays experience and we splurged and treated ourselves). I read by the fire for a while - finally getting around to reading Amber Mac's Power Friending, and then we watched TV up in the loft until our massage therapists knocked on the door. The massage room was close to ours so we didn't have to take anything but the keys to our room.

We had massages in the same room and it was amazing. I almost fell asleep and it was so nice and relaxing. When we were finished our massages we headed back to our room to fruit, chocolate sauce and a small bottle of merlot. We took a bunch of photos, packed up our stuff and checked out with Lianne, who was great and helped organize our reservation and services. She gave us a bottle of their Riesling to take home and off we went to make our way back to the city.

Jason and I both had a really great time at Inn on the Twenty and in the village of Jordan. It was a fun, relaxing romantic weekend away that was definitely something I would recommend and hope to do again. I think it's a great idea to give people a gift of something they can go and do and make memories out of, instead of a material item. I will remember this weekend.

Thank you to Samba Days and the Sambassador program for this awesome experience and to Scott, Lianne and the friendly staff at the Inn on the Twenty. We'll definitely be back.

I can't wait for my next Sambassador experience. Stay tuned!

For all the photos from our weekend you can check out the gallery on my blog.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank carlyannedotcom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We absolutely loved our first stay at Inn on the Twenty in Cooper's Cottage. My daughters and I stayed on Thursday night before my wedding. This two floor cottage had plenty of room and privacy. Gary and I continued the stay on Friday and Saturday. The hospitality was great. Sandy at the front desk was delightful and ever so helpful.

While the food was tasty in the restaurant the service did not compare to that of Sandy or the friendly gentlemen at the Jordan Tavern.

We loved the privacy of Cooper's Cottage and the backyard patio all to ourselves. It was a wonderful stay and we would definitely recommend this hotel to others to enjoy exploring Ontario's Finest Inns.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MelandGary823
heleniot20, Owner at Inn On The Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

It's a real privilege to share in these life experiences! Hope to see you for your anniversaries too!!
Congratulations on this important occasion.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife, son, and I spent a night at the Inn en route to the Muskoka Lakes of Ontario. We wanted a comfortable place to rest in the middle of a long road trip. We stayed in a duplex suite room and had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant across the street. Jordan is a very small village that seems to be owned by the Inn and Cave Springs winery. It's a block full of shops, the inn, a tasting room, and the restaurant. I reluctantly agreed to pay approximately $300 for the room. The inn staff were efficient, but without any style, and offered us no assistance. Our impression was rescued by the wonderful dinner we had across the street. The wines from the winery were very marked-up (200% of retail, from what I can tell). I am used to paying for wine at restaurants, but there is something very annoying to me about paying so much for Ontario wine grown next door. Somehow, Ontario (my birthplace) has confused making good wines with charging as if they came from France. I always imagine shipping is included in a good bottle of French wine, but this can't be the case here. Anyway, breakfast the next morning was a shameful affair of lousy canned fruit, a small hot entree, and a small, poorly composed breakfast bar. Here we are sitting in the fruit basket of Ontario, a province renowned for excellent produce, and we are given a highway hotel breakfast. I had a similar experience at Huff Estates in Prince Edward County, Ontario (see review), so maybe there is a virus going around...

All and all, a large room, decently furnished, but not nearly worth the cost.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
heleniot20, Manager at Inn On The Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

We appreciate the time taken to comment. We do not EVER use canned fruit, but in the breakfast fruit cup we do use the more durable cutting fruits such as melon and pineapple. The bounty of Ontario fruit is absolutely gorgeous, but, at this time of year, it is largely tender tree fruit that oxidizes too rapidly to be put into a fruit salad in fresh form, and we don't want to use preservatives or heavy syrups to keep them bright. That being said, we think it would be a great idea for us to incorporate them into the whole fruit basket that is available on the buffet table, so we thank the guest for challenging us to think of a way to get our wonderful local fruit into the offering. We outlined the full offering of the buffet table and breakfast in an earlier response, if further questions arise.

As for wine pricing, we entirely understand the customer's frustration. Ontario does not have wholesale wine pricing even for properties where the wine is made right on site, as ours is. We are forced to sell our wine to our own restaurant as if it was a third party retail purchaser. So we add the restaurant's operational costs to pretty much the same price as one sees next door in our wine store. Many have commented on this and especially our American friends who live where more sensible wine wholesaling laws pertain. We wish it were otherwise, but this is a bit of a hangover (no pun intended!) from our Prohibition history!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We received a gift card and were thrilled with this hotel. The package included the "Alcove" room category which we upgraded for $70 to one with a private garden. Well worth the upgrade. It felt like being in an Italian Villa surrounded by a stone wall full or flowers, trees and privacy. The room was nicely done, plenty of room, big bathroom with jacuzzi tub.

The SPA was great. No water features but great treatments.

Their reception is on the second floor which is a bit weird. Lots of little shops in a very quiet village. Not the hustle and bustle of Niagara-On-The-Lake but a similar feel. We would definitely return and try and get the same room.

Room Tip: The Moyer Suite!!!!