“Room was good value for $, spa & food meh”
Review of Inn On The Twenty

Inn On The Twenty
Ranked #1 of 3 Jordan B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Room was good value for $, spa & food meh”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed in a loft suite for one night after a day of wine tasting in the area, followed by a 3- course dinner and breakfast the next morning. We also had spa treatments before checking out.

The inn seemed understaffed as there was only one person working the front desk/reception. She was checking in guests and then escorting them to their rooms after, as other guests were waiting to check in as well. Not sure why on a Saturday there wouldn't be an extra person to help out during check-in times. Mind you, the reception woman was very nice and friendly and polite, similar to my impression when I was booking our getaway a few days prior - very helpful staff.

The loft suite was charming, but it was confusing to figure out how to make the heat/air circulate evenly throughout the suite since the upstairs loft area gets really warm and stuffy. The TV and stereo were dated and I laughed that it was the exact same stereo I bought for myself in 1995, and I thought it was the coolest back then (double tape deck AND CD player!! woohoo). The bathroom was nice, clean, and big, but nothing really fancy. The shower was really dark, but okay.

We opened a bottle of sparkling wine before we set off for our 8pm dinner reservation, we drank about 2/3 of it, and when we returned to the room after dinner (3 hours), our bed had been turned down, the room slightly tidied up, but no new wine glasses...just the sticky ones we'd left behind. Thought that was odd. Anyway, we showed up for our dinner reservation about 8 minutes late and apologetic, but even though the restaurant was half empty, they didn't have a table ready for us and asked us to wait at the bar, which we did and ordered a drink. About 10 minutes later, we were taken to our table which was right next to the window, so that was really nice. My hubby ordered the beef tenderloin off the regular menu and I ordered the 'feature', which was the ribeye - my favourite cut of beef! My hub's tenderloin was melt-in-your-mouth good and cooked perfectly as he had requested. My ribeye...wow. It was TERRIBLE. Never in my life had I ever been served such a thin, tasteless, tough piece of leather at a high-end restaurant. A ribeye is supposed to be marbley and yummy...I had to saw through this thin piece with a lot of effort and it was chewy and tasteless. I maybe ate 1/3 of it and the server never even asked me why there was so much left on my plate. I had trouble even believing it was a ribeye cut - it seemed more like skirt or flatiron steak you would get served with steak & eggs at a pub. Brutal. My potatoes and veggies were great though. Very disappointing dinner.

Breakfast the next morning was great - eggs bene and fresh fruit and fast friendly service.

Spa - I had a deep tissue massage booked and my hubby had a "gentleman's pedicure". Again, they were short staffed and my husband's pedicurist person kept leaving him alone for long periods of time and coming back apologizing saying that she was also acting as the receptionist. He had never had a pedicure before, so he thought this was normal. He told me he thought there would be a lot more to it and thought there would be more attention paid to him at a spa. He said she didn't even trim or clean his nails! My massage was great, but I also did NOT feel like I was at a spa. More like a salon-type spa, definitely not a luxury experience. The space had so much potential, but the staff needs to create an experience for their customers. I definitely would not want to spend half a day there getting treatments as my therapist kept leaving me to answer the phone and receive other guests that come in. Such a strange set up!

Anyway, after having been to Langdon Hall and Ste. Anne's...maybe my expectations were too high? I guess overall the inn itself was good value for the money, but the restaurant and spa were way overrated.

2 Thank MissusScamper
heleniot20, Owner at Inn On The Twenty, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
First of all we appreciate the evident time put into commenting on a stay. Just a few points we would like to comment on: we do sometimes ask guests to wait in the bar if a table near the window is coming up for use. We had plenty of tables that night, but in our experience, guests really love the window seats and we suggested that a slight wait might be worth it. We are always interested in getting customers seated where they would like to be, so if someone would rather sit right down versus wait for a window, it's best to speak up.
In a similar vein, speaking up about an unsatisfactory cut of meat is also welcomed if a customer is dissatisfied. We buy our meat from a reputable supplier and we sold a number of rib eyes on that evening so clearly not all of these pieces of meat were a problem, but that doesn't mean that one COULD be. If nothing is mentioned on a table check or even at the end of the meal, we cannot remedy it in time to save the situation. I had the good fortune to dine at a great restaurant in Napa just last week and a problem arose with our order...the staff were great and we fixed the problem without jeopardizing evening so I know, as a customer and as service provider, that making a "complaint" is a welcome opportunity to retrieve the evening.
The issues with the spa are quite disappointing but we did have a sudden employee health issue that left us shorthanded, as the customer noted. We would be happy to offer the customer another gentleman's pedicure to remedy any disappointment that surrounded our staff member stretching to make the afternoon work to everyone's benefit. Clearly we were didn't fulfill his very reasonable expectation of having his therapist's full attention.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Dundas, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife took me for a two day mid-week stay at the Inn on the Twenty for my birthday. We stayed in the Bettenhouse suite which had a ground floor patio. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. There was a large comfortable bed, a large bathroom and a cosy sitting area with a couch and armchairs arrayed around a gas fireplace. The first night stay this was great for a nice after dinner drink. On the second day the weather was untypically warm and sunny so we asked if the patio furniture could be set up - typically I expect it wouldn't be set up until May. However, the lady at the front desk immediately brought us two chairs to sit out on and a bit later the actual patio chairs and table were set up for us - it was warm enough to sit out after dinner. Breakfast was included and was excellent and different both days. We ate both nights at the On the Twenty Restaurant which was also very good but it is the only fine dining restaurant in Jordan so it is really the only option if you want to drink wine with your dinner. We had also booked a wine tour through the hotel and this was excellent. We were the only couple on the bus and the driver seemed to know all the winery staff and owners. He took us to several really good small wineries and one disappointing larger winery (Vinelands Estate) and a cheese boutique - honestly this cheese place was a waste of time - there was only miniscule amounts of three cheeses to sample. Because we were not part of a large group the driver stopped at an additional winery that was not on the itinerary. All in we had an excellant stay.

Innisfil, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Inn on the Twenty and the village of Jordan was a refreshing place to visit. The Inn was above our expectations in both the accommodations and service. The uniqueness of this village is in the way each business interacts with the others. As we visited each locations and asked questions of its origins we were directed to another for more history as well as different shopping experiences. In walking distance to the Inn we had fine dinning, a tavern, a feat shop, a museum, a quilt and knit shop and much more.

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was my first time staying at the Inn. I've visited the Restaurant on quite a few times in the past and have always enjoyed the food and service there. The hotel itself was very nice and charming. My wife and I were their celebrating my birthday. We stayed in a Loft Suite. The room was very nice overall.. Modern and lot's of room to move around. The only complaints I had was:

1) We found a few hairs in the bed and noticed a few more in the washroom. Felt a little grossed out by that. They could have done a better job cleaning the room.
2) Fireplace wasn't working.
3) They keep the coffee and tea in the washroom. Don't really think that is the best place to keep those sort of things right beside the toilet and washroom sink.

Otherwise, we enjoyed the fact the bed was on a seperate floor (it made the place feel bigger). They also left chocolates on our pillows in the evening (nice touch). Another thing I liked about the Inn was that had cookies near the front desk. Nice cute touch!! Unfortunately, the rating I'm giving it is average just because of those points I mentioned above, otherwise I would have gave it a very good score.

1 Thank Mike M
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife & I spent 1 day at the Inn. We had a loft suite. Very spacious room, comfortable & romantic. We added the dinner package with upgraded breakfast. Dinner & breakfast were excellent (service was friendly & discrete). The staff was great. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Loft suite #3
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This will be short because I have no complaints about this spot. Very relaxing village, great little shops but if you are more interested in shopping than relaxing then this probably isn't the spot but Niagara outlets are not too far of a drive and you get to be out of the busy area. The wine tasting was great, great massages. The food was fabulous at the Restaurant. We were so full we couldn't do breakfast on the second day. Highly recommended.

1 Thank FoxTrot73
Niagara
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I took time out for ourselves recently at this Inn in Jordan. The hotel, restaurant and small community provided exactly what we needed. We had a package that contained wine tasting, dinner and a facial for my wife. Our room was very spacious (the Alcove Suite) and contained all the amenities we would ever need. The staff in both the hotel and restaurant were friendly,knowledegable and helpful. While a booking like this is not inexpensive -( we actually purchased ours at a fund raising silent auction) we honestly feel it was value for our dollar and might have to make this an annual event.

1 Thank Niagaranomad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jordan
Jordan House Hotel
Jordan House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Jordan
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and...
#6 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Queen's Landing
Queen's Landing
#5 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#8 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Prince of Wales
Prince of Wales
#4 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
124 on Queen Hotel and Spa
124 on Queen Hotel and Spa
#1 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Been to Inn On The Twenty? Share your experiences!