“Calm in the Storm”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Kenora
Vancouver, Canada
“Calm in the Storm”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife and I wanted a little get away during the rainy Victoria Day long weekend. The hotel was right on the lake and we had a nice view of the city. The rooms were nice and clean. The staff was great to deal with. They had an inside pool which overlooked the area. The Sauna was nice and warm. Could have been a little warmer but it was good anyway. They had a nice restaurant in the building over looking the lake. The food was great and I would recomend trying the BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich. I would recommend calling the hotel first as when I called they had a special on which was cheaper than the pricing found online. We saved about $20 on a King size bed. All in all this place is the place to stay as it's close to Safeway and if you have a boat you can moore it right in front on the hotel from what I saw.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Hotel is easy to find due to it's distictive shape. It's centrally located & we had a great view from our window. It is a BW, so it is what it is. I would say a little better than your average BW. Hotel definetely needs some updating, but it's not run down or anything. It could use more parking spaces.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed April 25, 2013

As Kenora is not New York or even Chilliwack I thought it wise to spend my two nights in the best hotel in Kenora. I was told the Lakeside was it. I stayed two nights and could not rate the experience above 'Average'. Now in their defence there was some renos going on apparently although I saw no sign of that effort. This is the reason why my room (on the 7th floor and an excellent view of a frozen lake) had only two lights in it not counting the bathroom. There was the overhead light as you enter the room and a dim tri-light by the window. I has arrived late (10 pm) and was tired and hungry. The restaurant was closed but the bar was open. Off I head to the establishment only to find poor beer selection, nothing on tap, and not a single snack food to be found. No chips, nuts - nothing! Did I mention I was hungry?
So I had a few common beers and headed off to my room. Settled into bed and found I couldn't read as there were no bedside table lamps just that tall tri-light by the window. Didn't cast enough to read by in bed so I decided to watch TV but, with the lights out I couldn't read the remote (no it didn't light up). Went to sleep. The bed was very comfy and the pillows were wonderful.
In the morning I ordered room service of eggs, sausages, toast and a carafe of coffee. I got eggs, sausages, toast and a styrofoam cup of coffee. Food was hotel plain but I expected that. I called down about the carafe of coffee and was questioned as to why - it's a lot of coffee. Just send it! I also asked for a regular coffe cup or mug. I was asked "a glass one?" I said I didn't care if it was glass or china - I just didn't want a styrofoam cup. I was told that the reason the cup was styrofoam was in case it got dropped it wouldn't break. I explained that china or porcelien cups are easily seen if dropped and broken but glass of course would be hard to see. Do you have any glass cups for coffee? No - was the answer. By the way the plate with my breakfast was china and the in-room coffee maker was glass. i'm tired of writing. Wasn't a good experience. Just a note - the bar lady was very nice and interesting.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank dwleo
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel has a nice view and very comfortable beds. The general appearance is a little tired but ok. The part I had a difficult time with is that you cannot get room service for breakfast. You have to go to the restaurant and order it and pick it up yourself. That's not what I call room service. I don't know why they have a breakfast room service menu in the room when there is no room service. That's non sensical to me. Also they have coffee in the lobby in the morning but once it's empty, that's it that's all folks. It does not get replenished. And by 8:00 am, it was empty all three mornings we were there. I was very disappointed with the lack of basic service in this hotel compared to what a hotel of that price should be offering.

• Stayed April 2013
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

AprilHarasemchuk, Front Office Manager at Clarion Inn Lakeside and Conference Centre, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the beautiful view and our comfortable beds. I would like to apologize for the lack of room service on your stay. I have passed on your concerns to our Food & Beverage manager and he will be ensuring that this does not happen again.
We have the coffee in our lobby for the early risers that cannot grab a cup in the restaurant before their departure. We only have the coffee out until 8:00am, by that time the restaurant would be happy to supply you with a cup. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.
The 'Peg
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

A novel structure affording a great view of the lake and beautiful sunsets. Apart from the view, the room itself was rather lackluster - tired and uninspired with hotch-potch furniture. Just a general feeling that it was in need of an upgrade with inspiration and vision. The bed was quite comfy. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Purchased food reflected the general depressing tone of the place.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your review. Since your stay in August 2012 we have renovated most of our rooms and we would like to invite you to stay with us again so you may enojy the new features.
Thank you again.
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a well maintained older hotel with wonderful views of the Lake of the Woods.
If you ask for the manager's rate you will get a descent room but usually with a town side view.
This is a good choice for business people visiting firms in the downtown area as well as tourists travelling through.
The restaurant is on an upper floor where you feel you could sit for hours and just look at the view. The menu is unimaginative but the quality is good and portions generous.
There is a swimming pool at the top of the building.
Rooms are comfortable, Front desk was great, very accomodating.

Room Tip: Try to get one away from the elevator if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AprilHarasemchuk, Front Office Manager at Clarion Inn Lakeside and Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our hotel accommodates many business travellers as we have the amenties they require like our business rooms with a oversized desk, complimentary WiFi and free local calling. During the summer we have many tourists stop and stay with us as we are close to the downtown area for shopping and sight seeing.
Our restaurant is the perfect place to relax and have lunch while enjoying the view. I am sorry that you did not enjoy our menu selection. We are creating a summer menu and would like to encourage you to come back and try it.
Thank you for your compliments on our rooms and front desk. We strive everyday to ensure excellence in our service. We look forward to your return.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have stayed here before and was always treated very nice. Definately a preferred room is one facing the Lake. A lot of the clientele in the hotel are from government agencies. I have not had a spectaclular meal from the dining room in any of my stays, I prefer to venture out. Weekends can be interesting with the winter travelling of Parents with their children's sports teams. Never am quite sure who are the worse, the parents who leave their room doors open and wander around the floor visiting other parents or the children who are fascinated by riding elevators and going up and down the stairs. Make sure to ask for a floor away from the weekend warriors.

Room Tip: Not a good idea to be on the fourth floor facing the street right now. Trust me on this one.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your review on our hotel. We are happy that you have returned to enjoy another stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that you have not had a great meal in our restaurant and I will be sharing this with our chef so he may incorporate some new ideas to spice up our dishes.
We are a preferred hotel for hockey tournaments as we are right across the street from the arena. When we accommodate hockey teams we do try to put them on their separate floors so they may not bother other guests.
Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again.