“A gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Kincardine
Paris, Canada
“A gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

There is a special function routinely held at this hotel so I have the occasion to visit it three or four times a year. I can't speak to the evening dining experience because we are always served a pre-selected menu but the food we get is more than acceptable. On our last visit, we stayed in a King room (116, I think) but, unfortunately, we were only there for one night. There were two huge wardrobes, tons of drawer space, a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and certainly enough room to be comfortable for a week or so. The room was equipped with wall dispensers containing good quality soap and lotion, at the sink, as well as bath gel, shampoo, plus the elusive conditioner (ladies travelling on the road a lot will understand what I mean) in the tub. The included breakfast is much more extensive than is typically found in this type of establishment and includes fruit, yoghurt, waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, along with a selection of sweet breads and toast. The wait staff, the reception and the room services staff all go overboard to be friendly and helpful and it is obvious they like their job and it is a pleasant place to work. If I were to pinpoint one shortfall, it would be that, in the first floor rooms, you can hear the footsteps if the room above is occupied ..... not a problem, really, if the occupants aren't stomping around until 2:00 in the morning.

Room Tip: If the hotel is full during peak season, ask for a second floor room. Ground floor is perfectly fine...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sheila020
Gail G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at our property. We appreciate all feedback and I am happy that you such an enjoyable stay. I am glad that everything went well with your function and the food was enjoyable. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the staff. We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Cobourg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was a business trip and was basically 'no frills'. The room was clean and comfortable but my room was close to the main lobby (Rm 107). The staff was friendly and very accommodating. A hot breakfast, including bacon, eggs waffles, toast, pastries and fresh fruit; juice and coffee were included. The restaurant had limited hours and so did the lounge I did not try these. Other than that it was perfect for a business trip; once you get over the fact that the building used to be a funeral home.

Room Tip: Don't get one on the main floor, it could get noisy if it is close to the lobby; it's only t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gail G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay at our property. We appreciate all feedback and are glad that you enjoyed the breakfast in the morning. I do hope the next time you are in Kincardine you'll stay with us and try out our restaurant.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I typically stay at the Holiday Inn properties due to the excellent loyalty program.

I usually avoided Best Westerns because they had trouble tracking my loyalty points. A dedicated employee in Thompson Manitoba straightened that out for me in October. I have had back to back excellent experiences in Best Westerns ( Orangeville last night) and Kincardine tonight. I will shoot for another Best Western this week and take advantage of a three stay ( free night coupon ) promotion between now and April 2013.

That being said, I decided to try this full service hotel and was pleasantly surprised. From the moment that I checked in, the service was great. Friendly staff, excellent Internet ( the reason thati skipped The Benmiller this trip ) and the room is a shade dated with older furnishings but some effort has been put in to bring it up to current standards. The heat is controlled by a good old fashioned thermostat that works.

The most impressive part of my stay was at dinner time. I eat in a LOT of restaurants through the course of a year and this little gem stands up to any restaurant in any major city. The menu was outstanding and the soup de jour was a beautiful start. I landed on the salmon with roasted potatoes and grilled veggies. Sounds pretty standard but every bite was a treat. I'd come back to this property anytime. I am getting hungry thinking about the breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bigalkie
Gail G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your recent stay at our property. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay so much. We do classify our restaurant as a hidden gem in our town. I'm glad to hear that you agree. We are currently in the works of updating our decore. I will make sure to pass on your wonderful compliments to our chef and kitchen staff. Thank you once again for your review and please consider us again when you are in town.
Goderich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great Time Gail and Melissa made sure all promises were kept. Staff let guest check in early and handed out gifts with a smile. Food at dinner was excellent. Liz and the other waitress were great. The bartender kept the drinks coming and everyone was happy. Would highly recommend this hotel for any one in the Kincardine area looking for a spot for a wedding.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gail G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
I am glad that everything worked out for the wedding. From the hotel rooms and early check ins to all the details for the wedding ceremony and reception. I will make sure to pass on the thanks to all the servers, Jenna the bartender, the kitchen staff and the front desk clerks that helped. Along with thanks to Melissa. I was happy to learn that everyone had a great time.
Thank you for choosing our property for your wedding festivities.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I've been doing a lot of travelling for business over the past few months and this hotel has definitely been one of my favourites while on the road!

My room was so cozy and made me feel right at home. It was also very clean and spacious.

Overall an excellent experience and I'd recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to the area. Staff are great, food's great, fitness room is great.... loved it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gail G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your review of our property.
We appreciate all feedback.
I am happy that you had such an enjoyable stay.
I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the staff.
Thank you for choosing Best Western Plus Governor's Inn.
Pickering, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

What a great weekend! We tried Best Western on advice from CARP. This advice certainly was accurate. The hotel was clean, modern, well appointed, and served excellent, tasty hot buffet breakfasts (included with the room). The room was quite large which allowed us to entertain my wife's parents with ample room for seating. The king bed provided a very comfortable two night's sleep for us. The water jets in the bath tub provided an unexpected relaxing experience. The microwave and the fridge were an added bonus, as was the large flat screen TV. The gym provided some needed exercise. The total cost for the two night's stay was very reasonable. All the hotel staff from the welcome at the reception desk to the dining room staff to the room cleaning deserve five stars. The A/C unit worked perfectly. Kudos to the hotel management.

Room Tip: My tip is to try this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gail G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We appreciate all feedback. I am glad that you had such an enjoyable stay and found everything to your liking. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to our staff. Thank you for choosing our property and look forward to seeing you again.
Thunder Bay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed here with work for four nights. If I had booked this on my own, it would have been $125.00 a night, so I'm basing my review on that price.

This is a nice hotel, clean with friendly staff. The lobby has character, with a lot of wood finish and furnishings. The fitness room is fairly large and clean, there is a hot tub and sauna in an area off the bathrooms down one level from the lobby. The hot tub was nice and hot, the sauna worked well, and this area was very clean. There is no pool however. The room was nicely furnished, but average size, not overly large (the rooms at the Holiday Inn Express across the street are larger). The included breakfast was also quite good. All was very good, except my room did have a slight odour which I only noticed for the first bit that I entered the room, my sense of smell adapted after a while. It was almost a 'wet dog' odour, perhaps coming from the bathroom. I mentioned this to the front desk on check out. That was my only complaint. But overall this is a good hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gail G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a response regarding your stay at our property. I am happy to learn that you had such an enjoyable stay. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to the staff. We look forward to seeing you for a future stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kincardine
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kincardine
#2 of 7 in Kincardine
Maple Leaf Inn
Maple Leaf Inn
#6 of 7 in Kincardine

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn? Share your experiences!