“Innovative”
Review of Verses Restaurant - CLOSED

Verses Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Canada
“Innovative”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Every dish was excellent... the chef here knows his stuff. The thai soup with a salad and chili lime cotton candy was one of the more dramatic looking appetizers I've ever seen. I had the wagyu beef tartar - which was great. Then for my main, the special, which was sea bass with lentils and greens in a creamy butter sauce. It was executed to perfection. My friend had the beef tenderloin which was incredibly tender. Every dish had its unique flavours and sauces, and everybody loved what they ordered. My dessert, the deconstructed cheesecake, was another exceptional visual presentation. It tasted just as good as it looked.

If this restaurant were in a big city like Toronto, Montreal or New York, I think it would easily command prices two or three times the current offering.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Cooljewel

Kitchener, Canada
“Puts the "fine" in Fine Dining”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

A bit pricier than the average restaurant but it is not the average restaurant. The menu has ingredients that are specialized; where else are you going to get a chance to try ostrich or sweetbreads!?! Tried both and they were fantastic. The service is top notch as well. A very classy restaurant and we had a wonderful dining experience.

1 Thank travelfan0101
Waterloo, Canada
“Best Fine Dining in all of KW Cambridge”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Spectacular food, presentation, selection and service. Atmosphere is wonderful and second to none in KW. Beats all the other fine establishments by a long shot.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Jason S
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
“Excellent food, ambiance, service”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I chose Verses for a special holiday dinner with a long-standing and well-traveled friend from Europe, my son and his girlfriend, and my husband. It was perfect in every respect. I'd made an error in my reservation and there were 2 extra people in the party; the restaurant was quite gracious in not pointing out that it was my error (as I recognized myself after we were seated). My friend is vegan due to health concerns; the waiter was extremely knowledgeable and patient in suggesting dishes that could be prepared without use of dairy. For people who have specific dietary concerns, eating in restaurants can be one of the most frustrating experiences; in this case, however, it was an absolutely pleasure. Mushroom soup, Verses salad, and Thai "soup and salad" starters were all excellent. As an entree, 4 of us ordered the market fish (tile fish): it was perfectly prepared with a coconut-scented rice and and steamed vegetables. My husband ate Peking-style duck and voted it excellent as well; he has eaten Peking duck in Beijing several times in fine-dining restaurants there and said that, although the Verses presentation was not in the traditional style (i.e. in Beijing one "assembles one's own") the quality and flavour were comparable to the "real thing". As noted by other reviewers, this is definitely a "foodie" restaurant, so be prepared for unusual dishes: an adventurous palate is a necessity. Service was excellent. Chairs are very comfortable and at the same time elegant. Ambiance (renovated church) is lovely. Altogether a perfect dinner.

3 Thank SusanGH
Ontario
“Sophisticated and Upscale Dining Experience”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband are I were taken here by my twin sister and her husband as they live in the area and have been multiple times. They wanted to share with us the wonderful experience that they have had on every occasion. The restaurant is an old renovated church with a real 20 foot beautifully decorated Christmas tree in the entrance. The seating arrangement is well appointed, giving patrons an element of privacy while dining. The physical décor is sophisticated and delightful. I am pretty confident in saying that the menu choices will appeal to everyone. The menu selections are truly excellent with authentic flavors, innovative, and beautifully presented. The service was absolutely outstanding and the owner, Debbie was personable and ensured that we all had an incredible experience.

There are many words I could use to describe the ambiance of this restaurant, but I will just sum it up in four words "Go See For Yourself"!!

2 Thank moe777