“Delicious homestyle food”
Review of Pioneer Bar-B-Q - CLOSED

Pioneer Bar-B-Q
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cambridge, Canada
“Delicious homestyle food”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Our family went to this restaurant because my husband used to go there years ago as a youngster, and said the food was really good. We loved this restaurant. It is cozy and has a old country charm ambience. There is a fireplace at one end of the restaurant. The staff is helpful and friendly. They're open weekdays until 9:00 p.m.,and weekends until 8:00 p.m.

The service at Pioneer Bar-B-Q is excellent. You don't wait long from the time you order your food, to the time you get it. My favourite on the menu is the turkey dinner. It is offered all year long. I usually order white meat only (they charge about $1.50 extra). The entree comes with sweet potatoes, vegetables, and cranberry sauce, and gravy. The portions are just right. Most times, I don't have room for dessert.

Speaking of dessert, do leave some room for it. There is such a large variety of desert to choose from. The dessert portion is fairly large, and their coffee is so good. You can choose from apple pie, cheesecake, coconut cream pie, lemon pie, rasberry cream pie, etc. There are many choices.

Price is average for this type of restaurant. Two can dine for approximately $52.00 (including coffee and dessert,minus alcoholic beverages). Some entrees are between $12 to $15 each. Price depends on what you choose. There are many different items on the menu including fish (trout, salmon, and fish and chips), salads, soup, cheeseburger, wraps, and sandwiches.

I enjoy going to Pioneer Bar-B-Q and will be eating there often in the future. The food is delicious. I enjoy the atmosphere and like the attentive service we get. Try Pioneer. I'm sure you'll like it there too!

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank musiart

Cambridge, Canada
“A Restaurant With Heart”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Every Friday, my best friend and I enjoy a girl's night out consisting of dinner and a movie. Our favourite spot for dinner? Pioneer Bar-B-Q. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this restaurant, their great home style cooking and their amazing, personable staff. You can sit in the main dining area or a quaint enclosed patio. Owners, Bev and John and their friendly team aim to please and make sure your experience at PBBQ is an enjoyable one.
The menu is filled with an endless variety of tasty meals (and specials) from Fish and Chips, Quiche and a Greek Burger to Trout, Pork Chops, Chicken Louise (beautifully done boneless chicken with melted cheese and grilled veggies on top!), and Roast Turkey (etc...etc...) There is something for everyone on the menu! My husband is vegetarian and my nephew can only eat food that is Gluten/Dairy/Corn/MSG and Nitrate-free (whew!), but Bev catered to both. She listened intently to their special needs and whipped up the most amazing meals for them! Now that's a restaurant that cares; a restaurant with heart!
Portions are big and the cost is small. You can enjoy a lovely main course and a (bottomless) drink here for under $20/person. But, beware, there is a lovely selection of scrumptious desserts that will tempt you from the front showcase. And, yes, they DO taste as good as they look. My husband and I have brought many guests to this restaurant and everyone has thoroughly enjoyed their experience here and complimented the excellent food. For anyone who went to this restaurant years ago and had a bad experience, please be aware that it has new owners now and you will be delighted with the changes they've made. Well, all I have left to say is "Bon Appetit!" Maybe I'll see you there!

• Visited August 2011
Waterloo, Canada
“Still okay with me.”
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We had an early dinner today at Pioneer Bar-b-q and we all enjoyed it. I had a cold plate with chicken salad, potato salad and some veggies. My son had pulled pork and my husband had a hot roast beef sandwich.Both my husband and son liked their dinners and mine was good but felt it would have been a bit bland if I hadn't asked for mayonnaise on the side.Luckily we had a pleasant and attentive waitress who waited on us promptly. We all had pies for dessert and my husband and son ate every bit of theirs. I had the butterscotch pie and it was very sweet but lacked real butterscotch flavor so I was a bit disappointed.I still like this restaurant but I'm not sure if it's as good as it used to be. The menu has changed quite a bit however some of the old favorite items are still there. I would go back but not in a great hurry.

• Visited July 2011
“Homestyle Goodness”
Reviewed March 5, 2011

We frequent Pioneer BBQ about once per month, and enjoy the warm atmosphere and good value. It's friendly, home-style cooking.

• Visited February 2011
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
“Couldn't get past the smell”
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Ok... I guess this is not technically a review of the food. We didn't actually eat. We walked in about an hour before their posted closing time and there was no one else in the restaurant. The staff were busily closing up - not a good sign. We sat down and were immediately overwhelmed with the stench of mildew and something...else. Not that mouthwatering smokey meat smell you expect from a barbeque place...more like mouldy wet dog. UGH! I rarely walk out of a place without giving it a fair shake but this was just nasty.
We also looked at the menu... really not much bbq on there Ribs, sandwiches but that was it. Don't know what they are after but I think they need a good wash and a fresh start.

5 Thank Artistseye