“Not Wonderful”

Moxie's Grill & Bar
Ranked #50 of 544 Restaurants in Kitchener
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Canadian, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Moxie's Grill & Bar, Kitchener's premium casual dining restaurant on Fairway Rd. Featuring a delicious food menu, tasty drinks and a great patio. Open late.
New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada
“Not Wonderful”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We went on a Sunday night with another couple. The bar area inside was too loud and it was
freezing with the air so ate outside on the covered patio. It is very nice but too close to a very
busy intersection so lots of truck and engine noise.
Service was prompt and good.
Food was not so wonderful. I had the beef dip with salad and not much beef on bun and not
too much favor. My salad was missing the salad dressing and was almost done my meal before the waitress checked on us. My husband had the steak sandwich medium rare and it was tough and the French fries had no favor and were only warm when arrived. Our friends had the salmon
which is their speciality and one gave it 4 out 5 and the other only 2 1/2 out of 5. The beans were
too crisp and the French fries were cold. Dessert I had a sticky toffee cake which was delicious
and our friends had small bit brownie(2 bites) with ice cream which was okay. The food is reasonable priced but not upscale and all of us decided we wouldn't go back again.

• Visited August 2013

Kitchener, Canada
“Wow what a great disappointment!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Wow what a great disappointment! Out for a family outing on a Friday night and we’ve decided on Moxie’s as it recently opened in Kitchener. We’ve really enjoyed the one in London about two years ago. The restaurant was very lively with nice décor but it’s located next to the busiest intersection in town; not sure how what’s going to work for the patio. Staff was polite and trying their best but without much experience they were not very attentive. Never asked if you wanted a refill, didn’t ask how your food was, forgot condiments with your order etc.; not what you would expect from any restaurant. The menu choices were ok, but the food was the biggest disappointment. Rigatoni described as grilled chicken in mushroom sauce, had almost no chicken! I’ve mentioned this to the waitress; her response was “well yes it doesn’t have much chicken”??? The Herb Chicken Alfredo, had the proper amount of chicken and was good. My son never complains but he mentioned that the burger had a funny taste to it and he would much rather have one from Harvey’s. My wife’s wasn’t pleased with her Chipotle Mango Chicken as it was served on dried up rice. The bottom line…if you don’t cook at home you might be excited about the menu, otherwise try one of the other restaurants of the same caliber.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Robert G
Kitchener, Canada
“Finally an amazing patio - and great food too!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I had a gift card for Moxie’s so we were happy this location was finally open so we could give it a try. We were offered seating in the lounge or the bar but we opted for the patio.

Entrance:
Clean and uncluttered entrance with a host stand that’s right in front of you when you walk in so it’s not hard to find.

Patio:
This patio is simply amazing. There’s a lounge area with gas-fire pits (not functioning yet) for each sitting area (at least three I think). There are heaters on the ceiling of the patio dining area, and their plan is to be open ten months of the year or so. There are high-top tables and regular tables with bench seating. Again, this is a covered patio so there’s the bonus of no smoking (YAY). The entire patio is walled in with glass about five feet high and open to the ceiling another four feet, so a nice breeze does come in. There’s also a wall of tv’s tuned in to different sporting events. With a little landscaping this patio will be one popular spot!

Food/Drink:
We ordered their drink special of the day which was the Bad Boy special: Large bottles of Corona or Heineken. We opted for Corona’s – after a long bike ride they went down pretty good.

We asked our server for some food recommendations and she went 3 for 3. We split the avocado spring rolls to start and they were so flavourful and weren’t greasy like some spring rolls. They cut them in half too, so they were much easier to sauce up and eat.

My wife ordered the chicken chipotle quesadilla which came with sour cream and salsa. It too was very flavorful with fresh cilantro and topped with chipotle yogurt.

I ordered the Montreal Smoked meat sandwich with a side of yam fries. SO GOOD! They stack up the meat like you’re supposed to with a smoked meat sandwich. I loved it and it was filling enough on its own – I didn’t even need the yam fries, but I ate them anyway because they’re so good.

Service:
Or server was great and ready to offer suggestions – good ones too. One of the managers came over to check on us as well, which is always a nice touch.

Overall:
As mentioned, we were coming in for lunch after a long bike ride, so we were kind of under-dressed, nobody seemed to mind though. The washrooms were clean and tastefully decorated, oh and they have tv’s at each urinal! We were the first to arrive, but after about twenty minutes the place was pretty busy. This is definitely a must try if you’re in Kitchener and looking for some great food or a great patio for some drinks.

We’ll be back for sure!